Subject: [DNSOP] ECS and SVCB

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 17:19:52 -0400

In the course of WGLC for SVCB, a few people have highlighted nontrivial
interactions between SVCB and EDNS Client Subnet (ECS).  To clear this up,
the authors are considering [1] adding a section explaining how SVCB and
ECS should interact, for entities that are trying to do both.

Please review if you have an interest in these topics.

Thanks,
Ben Schwartz

[1]
https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/pull/308/files?short_path=3500257#diff-3500257c8185942fb80e67b6128f73e7807ad42cdbeee3caf923c376e899235f

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 15:27:46 -0700

Ben Schwartz wrote on 2021-03-24 14:19:
> interactions between SVCB and EDNS Client Subnet (ECS).  To clear this
> up, the authors are considering [1] adding a section explaining how SVCB
> and ECS should interact, for entities that are trying to do both.
> 

ECS was always a bad idea for a number of reasons, one of which is
privacy. i don't see a future for it in a world where privacy is driving
the IETF agenda. the SVCB draft could just say don't use ECS in
combination with this specification, as far as i'm concerned.

vixie