Subject: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7816bis-09.txt> (DNS Query Name Minimisation to Improve Privacy) to Internet Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 07:38:05 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document: - 'DNS Query Name Minimisation to
Improve Privacy'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7816bis-09.txt> as Internet Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-06-07. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a technique called "QNAME minimisation" to
   improve DNS privacy, where the DNS resolver no longer always sends
   the full original QNAME and original QTYPE to the upstream name
   server.  This document obsoletes RFC 7816.

   This document is part of the IETF DNSOP (DNS Operations) Working
   Group.  The source of the document, as well as a list of open issues,
   is at <https://framagit.org/bortzmeyer/rfc7816-bis>

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7816bis/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/4851/

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    rfc7816: DNS Query Name Minimisation to Improve Privacy (Experimental - Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF))
    rfc6973: Privacy Considerations for Internet Protocols (Informational - Internet Architecture Board (IAB))