Subject: [DNSOP] RFC 9077 on NSEC and NSEC3: TTLs and Aggressive Use

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 22:22:10 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9077

        Title:      NSEC and NSEC3: TTLs and 
                    Aggressive Use 
        Author:     P. van Dijk
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Updates:    RFC 4034, RFC 4035, RFC 5155, RFC 8198

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-ttl-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9077

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9077

Due to a combination of unfortunate wording in earlier documents,
aggressive use of NSEC and NSEC3 records may deny the existence of
names far beyond the intended lifetime of a denial. This document
changes the definition of the NSEC and NSEC3 TTL to correct that
situation. This document updates RFCs 4034, 4035, 5155, and 8198.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC