Subject: [DNSOP] FYI: WG adoption of DNS binding in ADD

From: Brian Dickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:18:43 -0700

In case anyone does not follow the ADD WG, or does not closely follow
DPRIVE, there is a WG adoption call for an SVCB binding for DNS.

There are two days left in that adoption call.

I encourage folks to take a look and give feedback concerning where they
think any such draft belongs (e.g. DNSOP in stead), plus on the draft's
readiness and suitability.

(My opinion is that there are use cases beyond those in ADD, and the right
place to address the possibly conflicting requirements is DNSOP, and that
the ADD WG should not adopt it.)

Brian

---

From: Brian Dickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 16:05:55 -0700

Sorry folks, I misread the draft that is in WG adopt request state.

The name on it, and the terminology used in it, mislead me to thinking it
was specifically for authoritative servers, rather than resolvers.
(It is about the latter, but worded and named as if it could apply to
authoritative servers. I'm not at all convinced it would be useful or a
good alignment of use cases.)

I think it SHOULD be limited in scope to recursives, in which case it would
belong in ADD. (But that is a hard IF and ONLY IF, IMNSHO).

Brian