Subject: [DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-dickson-dnsop-ds-hack-01.txt

From: Brian Dickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 20:33:51 -0700

Hi, DNSOP folks,
I have been working on the "unsigned NS record" problem (and related
"unsigned glue record" problem).

I think this is relatively widely applicable, even though it was originally
motivated by a problem that needed to be solved within DPRIVE.
(That problem is the subject of a draft I will be posting in DPRIVE, for
those interested.)

I think it's fairly straightforward, but it is difficult to tell without
getting feedback, so please let me know what you think.

Brian Dickson

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 1:29 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-dickson-dnsop-ds-hack-01.txt
To: Brian Dickson <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-dickson-dnsop-ds-hack-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Brian Dickson and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-dickson-dnsop-ds-hack
Revision:       01
Title:          DS Algorithms for Securing NS and Glue
Document date:  2021-09-17
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          6
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-dickson-dnsop-ds-hack-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dickson-dnsop-ds-hack/
Html:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-dickson-dnsop-ds-hack-01.html
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-dickson-dnsop-ds-hack
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-dickson-dnsop-ds-hack-01

Abstract:
   This Internet Draft proposes a mechanism to encode relevant data for
   NS records on the parental side of a zone cut by encoding them in DS
   records based on a new DNSKEY algorithm.

   Since DS records are signed by the parent, this creates a method for
   validation of the otherwise unsigned delegation records.

   Notably, support for updating DS records in a parent zone is already
   present (by necessity) in the Registry-Registrar-Registrant (RRR)
   provisioning system, EPP.  Thus, no changes to the EPP protocol are
   needed, and no changes to registry database or publication systems
   upstream of the DNS zones published by top level domains (TLDs).

   This NS validation mechanism is beneficial if the name server _names_
   need to be validated prior to use.

The IETF Secretariat