Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-glue-is-not-optional-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 16:30:27 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Glue In DNS Referral Responses Is Not Optional
        Authors         : M. Andrews
                          Shumon Huque
                          Paul Wouters
                          Duane Wessels
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-glue-is-not-optional-03.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2021-10-11

Abstract:
   The DNS uses glue records to allow iterative clients to find the
   addresses of nameservers that are contained within a delegated zone.
   Authoritative Servers are expected to return all available glue
   records in referrals.  If message size constraints prevent the
   inclusion of all glue records in a UDP response, the server MUST set
   the TC flag to inform the client that the response is incomplete, and
   that the client SHOULD use TCP to retrieve the full response.  This
   document updates RFC 1034 to clarify correct server behavior.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-glue-is-not-optional/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-dnsop-glue-is-not-optional-03.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-glue-is-not-optional-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Wessels, Duane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 23:51:49 +0000

Dear DNSOP,

Changes to this draft from the previous version are as follows:
 
   *  Clarified scope to focus only on name server responses, and not
      zone/registry data.
   *  Reorganized with section 2 as Types of Glue and section 3 as
      Requirements.
   *  Removed any discussion of promoted / orphan glue.
   *  Use appropriate documentation addresses and domain names.
   *  Added Sibling Cyclic Glue example.

I'd say we still do not have consensus on treatment of sibling glue.  Section 3.2 currently has the strict requirements with optional more lenient requirements in [square brackets]:

3.2.  Sibling Glue

   This document clarifies that when a name server generates a referral
   response, it MUST [SHOULD] include available sibling glue records in
   the additional section.  If all sibling glue records do not fit in a
   UDP response, the name server MUST [is NOT REQUIRED to] set TC=1.

DW

> On Oct 11, 2021, at 4:30 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Caution: This email originated from outside the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop