Subject: [dnssd] Adoption call for draft-sctl-advertising-proxy

From: Kangping Dong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 15:44:43 +0800

Hi,

I read the latest version of draft-sctl-advertising-proxy
(i.e. draft-sctl-advertising-proxy-02) and I'd like to
support the adoption of this document.

We had an implementation of the advertising proxy in the OpenThread Border
Router
codebase (
https://github.com/openthread/ot-br-posix/blob/main/src/agent/advertising_proxy.hpp)
and it works
great to publish unicast SRP services from Thread networks on the adjacent
Wi-Fi links. This is one of the key
technology that provides mDNS service discovery for DNS services registered
from Thread networks. It is also
key to success of applications that relies on mDNS service discovery, for
example, the matter project <https://buildwithmatter.com/>.

BRs,
Kangping

---

From: Simon Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 22:58:35 +0800

Hi,

I have reviewed this document (draft-sctl-advertising-proxy-02) and want to
support its publication. Most parts of the document make good sense to me,
even though I am still not totally clear how to handle late name conflicts.

The advertising proxy proposed by this document is very useful to bridge
devices in sub networks (e.g. Thread) to the home network. Actually we have
implemented an advertising proxy in OpenThread (
https://github.com/openthread/openthread) to work with multiple mDNS
implementations including mDNSResponder and Avahi.

Regards,
Simon

---

From: Saurabh Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 13:50:00 -0700

Hi,

I'd like to add my support for adopting draft-sctl-advertising-proxy-02
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-sctl-advertising-proxy-02>
by the workgroup.

I have read this document in detail and I would like to support its
publication.The advertising proxy is a key enabler of service
registration and seamless discovery in Thread Networks. Advertising
proxy connects legacy multicast DNS clients on Wifi with Unicast SRP
clients on the Thread network.

Matter standard <https://buildwithmatter.com/> that relies on mDNS
service discovery is planning to use this mechanism and the
implementation of the mechanism based on this draft document is
currently underway in matter WG.

Comments ->

<Editorial> Sec 2.5 of the draft spec uses the word reconfirm in
quotes ( " reconfirm") as well as in bold letters (RECONFIRM). Is
there any significance of using this word in different forms ?

regards

Saurabh | Samsung SmartThings