Subject: Re: FW: First draft charter for combined dnsind/dnssec

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:58:58 -0400

>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>Subject: First draft charter for combined dnsind/dnssec
>Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 08:38:54 -0700
...
>---------------------------------------------------
>Current work is focused on the following areas:
>
>Securing the DNS protocol (i.e., DNSSEC). The groundwork for DNSSEC
>was laid down by the DNSSEC WG. That WG has been closed with the
>remaining work picked up by DNSEXT.

I think you should mention TSIG and securing dynamic update.  DNSSEC, per
se, doesn't include transaction security and is not sufficient for dynamic
update.  There is still quite some work to do in both TSIG and securing
dynamic update.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: [email-masked]

"Trying is the first step to failure." - Homer Simpson
"No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

---

From: [email-masked] (Randall Atkinson)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:42:42 -0700

kre,

	I like the draft new merged charter.  Because it
makes the name align more clearly with the charter (hence
is very helpful to newcomers to IETF), I would prefer that
the merged WG be dnsext or some other name that is generic
and has clear meaning.

Ran
[email-masked]

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 00:35:03 -0400

Certainly TSIG, TKEY, and secret key secured dynamic update should be
included.

However, DNSSEC certainly does include public key transaction security
and is sufficient for public key based secure dyanmic update.  It is
the lower overhead per transaction but higher set up overhead secret
key versions of these that require TSIG, etc.

Thanks,
Donald

From:  Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Message-Id:  <v03130316b39561a1e86d@[10.33.10.8]>
In-Reply-To:  <DBF2F9C6F6BAD211BB1B00A0C99D970204BF80@MD-EXCHANGE2>
Date:  Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:58:58 -0400