Subject: [Doh] I-D Action: draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 09:08:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS Over HTTPS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DNS Queries over HTTPS
        Authors         : Paul Hoffman
                          Patrick McManus
	Filename        : draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-06.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2018-04-09

Abstract:
   This document describes how to run DNS service over HTTP (DOH) using
   https:// URIs.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 12:12:22 -0400

Hi All,

Thank you to all for getting this into good shape. Some changes to be aware
of based on input:

* media type has changed to message/dns
* the optional media type parameter has been removed
* some text, particular wrt caching and the media type, has been internally
moved.. resulting in the caching text being consolidated into one place and
the http information being closer together as well. The substance is not
changed (other than as noted above)

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 12:08 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Doh mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/doh
>

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 19:43:59 +0100

> * media type has changed to message/dns

This is a really nice-looking media type but I don't think DNS fits in the
remit of the message top-level type: RFC 6838 page 11 suggests message
subtypes have to be MIME objects. (RFC 2046 says roughly the same thing
but less clearly.)

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
Rockall, Malin: Southeast backing northeast 5 or 6, occasionally 7 in Malin.
Rough or very rough, becoming high for a time at first in southwest Rockall.
Showers then fair. Good, occasionally poor.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 21:39:30 +0000

> subtypes have to be MIME objects. (RFC 2046 says roughly the same thing

Agree.

Martin: want to pick another?

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 08:56:05 +1000

> Martin: want to pick another?

Ugh: Tony is right.  message/ is defined as being MIME only.  That's
short-sighted and selfish.  Top-level types should have broad
applicability and that assumes that there is only MIME.

I would say that application/dns is perfectly sufficient.  But I am
just one person.

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 18:09:08 -0500

That’s taken. Perhaps “application/dns-message” would work?

/a

> On Apr 9, 2018, at 17:56, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 10:59:55 +1000

> That’s taken. Perhaps “application/dns-message” would work?

I should have checked.  dns-message is where we ended up before, and so again.

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 17:31:13 +0200

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 08:56:05AM +1000,
 Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 27 lines which said:

> I would say that application/dns is perfectly sufficient.

Already reserved, with slightly different semantics (see RFC 4027
and 2540).