Subject: [Doh] I-D Action: draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 18:44:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS Over HTTPS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DNS Queries over HTTPS
        Authors         : Paul Hoffman
                          Patrick McManus
	Filename        : draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-05.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2018-04-02

Abstract:
   This document describes how to run DNS service over HTTP using
   https:// URIs.

   [[ There is a repository for this draft at https://github.com/dohwg/
   draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https [1] ]].

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 13:48:55 -0400

Hi All,

Paul and I have worked through the issues identified face to face in London
and on the list and github. Its time to publish a new draft.

The most interesting thing to note about it is the configuration primitive
has changed slightly from a URI with a particular set of query parameters
to a URI Template. The example should illustrate how these things are
broadly similar but allow a degree of flexibility for future media formats
fitting into DoH. This flexibility came up in London, and in the github
discussion both before and after we met so we tried to find the right
balance between flexibility and complexity. I think what is in -05 balances
those needs while leaning towards simplicity.

We seem to have had pretty good review up to this point and are, imo,
reaching a state of diminishing returns on the edits. Hopefully those are
signs that a WGLC is close.

-Patrick

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 9:44 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Doh mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/doh
>

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 21:58:56 +0000

On Apr 3, 2018, at 10:48 AM, Patrick McManus <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Paul and I have worked through the issues identified face to face in London and on the list and github. Its time to publish a new draft.

s/Its/It was/ That is, -05 is the result of going through those issues.

> The most interesting thing to note about it is the configuration primitive has changed slightly from a URI with a particular set of query parameters to a URI Template. The example should illustrate how these things are broadly similar but allow a degree of flexibility for future media formats fitting into DoH. This flexibility came up in London, and in the github discussion both before and after we met so we tried to find the right balance between flexibility and complexity. I think what is in -05 balances those needs while leaning towards simplicity.

The fact we were making a (small) breaking change to the wire format for queries might raise objections, but given that the document still isn't in WG Last Call, much less IETF Last Call and IESG review, should cause developers to keep a bit nimble.

Hopefully the examples are still clear. Do note the differences in the diff at <https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https-05.txt>.

> We seem to have had pretty good review up to this point and are, imo, reaching a state of diminishing returns on the edits. Hopefully those are signs that a WGLC is close.

...if not immediately imminent.

--Paul Hoffman