Subject: Re: [Dots] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dots-use-cases-00.txt

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:30:30 +0000

Hi, 

Please find the use cases document. Feel free to comment on the ML. We will be happy to address them on the ML or discuss them further at the IETF94.

BR, 
Daniel 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 5:23 PM
To: Stephane Fouant; Nik Teague; Nik Teague; Liang Xia; Robert Moskowitz; Robert Moskowitz; Roland Dobbins; Stephane Fouant; Daniel Migault; Roland Dobbins; Daniel Migault; Liang Xia
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dots-use-cases-00.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-dots-use-cases-00.txt has been successfully submitted by Daniel Migault and posted to the IETF repository.

Name:		draft-ietf-dots-use-cases
Revision:	00
Title:		Use cases for DDoS Open Threat Signaling
Document date:	2015-10-19
Group:		dots
Pages:		22
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dots-use-cases-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dots-use-cases/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dots-use-cases-00

Abstract:
   This document delineates principal and ancillary use cases for DDoS
   Open Threat Signaling (DOTS), a communications protocol intended to
   facilitate the programmatic, coordinated mitigation of Distributed
   Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks via a standards-based mechanism.
   DOTS is purposely designed to support requests for DDoS mitigation
   services and status updates across inter-organizational
   administrative boundaries.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: "Roland Dobbins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 23:02:38 +0700

On 22 Oct 2015, at 3:36, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> At some point I am going to have to offer alternative wording for some 
> of the run-on sentences like:

No one disagrees that there's considerable room for improvement.  The 
objective was to get something written down which encapsulated the core 
concepts while at the same time providing enough context for 
non-specialists to grasp the warp and woof of the thing; and to do so 
prior to the submission cutoff.

There's considerable repetitive verbiage in -00 because email 
discussions of the baseline concepts behind DOTS were taking up a great 
deal of time.  A brute-force approach to getting those concepts across 
in order to make the deadline was deemed to be the least time-consuming 
approach.  It seems to have been at least somewhat effective.

-01 will be a substantial stylistic re-write.

> That would at best be a 'C-' from my 7th grade english teacher!

Yes, well, better a 'C-' than an 'F' for not turning in the assignment 
on time.

The stylistic shortcomings of the -00 draft are not in dispute, and they 
will be rectified in -01.  In the cited example, the substitution of a 
period for a semicolon would resolve the issue, although I agree that it 
should (and will) be further improved.

-----------------------------------
Roland Dobbins <[email-masked]>