Subject: [Dots] Magnus Westerlund's Abstain on draft-ietf-dots-signal-call-home-12: (with COMMENT)

From: Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 00:37:02 -0800

Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dots-signal-call-home-12: Abstain

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dots-signal-call-home/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This protocol could have early on taken the decision to adhere to RFC6335
intention to preserve ports and thus been designed to share the port with the
regular DOTS. As it is based on COAP and DTLS there are several mechanism one
could have been using for demultiplexing that would have had little impact on
the protocol and allowed it to be co-located on the same port.

I really like to avoid this type of unnecessary assignments in the future.