Subject: [Dtls-iot] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-tiloca-dice-secure-groupcomm-00.txt

From: Marco Tiloca <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 15:07:13 +0200

Hello DICE,

We have submitted a new draft covering an improved adaptation of DTLS
to support secure multicast communication. This work is
explicitly related to the second task in charter-ietf-dice-01.

Following the discussions around past proposals
[I-D.keoh-dice-multicast-security-08][I-D.kumar-dice-multicast-security-00],
this draft overcomes the limitations of previous approaches by:

1) highlighting and motivating relevant use cases with secure multicast
communication;
2) protecting multicast request messages as well as related unicast
response messages;
3) providing source or group authentication of both group request
messages and group response messages;
4) avoiding any DTLS handshake to enable secure multicast communication.

We would sincerely appreciate any comment on the draft.

Best regards,
/Marco

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for
draft-tiloca-dice-secure-groupcomm-00.txt
Date: 	Wed, 14 Oct 2015 05:57:11 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Shahid Raza <[email-masked]>, Sandeep Kumar
<[email-masked]>, Marco Tiloca <[email-masked]>, Sandeep S.
Kumar <[email-masked]>, Kirill Nikitin <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-tiloca-dice-secure-groupcomm-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Marco Tiloca and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-tiloca-dice-secure-groupcomm
Revision:	00
Title:		Secure Two-Way DTLS-Based Group Communication in the IoT
Document date:	2015-10-14
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		35
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tiloca-dice-secure-groupcomm-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tiloca-dice-secure-groupcomm/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tiloca-dice-secure-groupcomm-00

Abstract:
   CoAP has emerged as the de-facto IoT standard for communication
   involving resource-constrained devices composing Low-power and Lossy
   Networks (LLNs). CoAP mandates the adoption of the DTLS protocol to
   secure unicast communication. However, in several IoT application
   scenarios involving a group of multiple devices, the adoption of CoAP
   multicast communication through IPv6 results in a number of
   advantages, especially in terms of performance and scalability. Yet,
   CoAP does not specify how to secure multicast group communication in
   an interoperable way. This draft presents a method to secure
   communication in a multicast group, through an adaptation of the DTLS
   record layer. In particular, group members rely on the same group
   keying material in order to secure both request messages sent via
   multicast and possible unicast messages sent as response. Since the
   group keying material is provided upon joining the group, all group
   members are not required to perform any DTLS handshake with each
   other. The proposed method makes it possible to provide either group
   authentication or source authentication of secured messages.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat