Subject: [dtn-interest] Another DTN application: UK diplomats in Moscow spying row
From: Melissa Ho <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 03:23:27 -0800
List-Id: Delay Tolerant Networking Interest List <dtn-interest.mailman.dtnrg.org>

An interesting article from BBC News:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4638136.stm

UK diplomats in Moscow spying row

(some excerpts)

Russia's state security service, the FSB, has accused British
diplomats of spying in Moscow.

It backed claims made in a Russian TV report which showed footage of
what it said was British agents retrieving data from a fake rock
planted on a street.
...
The programme said four officials from the UK embassy and one Russian
citizen, allegedly recruited by the British secret service, downloaded
classified data from a transmitter in the rock onto palm-top
computers.
...
"People will be a little bit surprised at the bizarre nature of this
episode. I've no idea whether it's true, but clearly there is a lot of
intelligence gathering that goes on."

--
http://www.melissaho.com/research

School of Information Management & Systems (SIMS)
http://groups.sims.berkeley.edu/ict4d

Technology and Infrastructure for Emerging Regions (TIER)
http://tier.cs.berkeley.edu

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:22:29 -0800
From: "Jeff R. Allen" <[email-masked]>
To: Syed Obaid Amin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] A newbie Question.
Cc: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]

Put simply, SDNV's are a way to ensure that someday no one is cursing
us like we curse the people who figured 640k would be enough RAM for
DOS.

See this page: http://www.dtnrg.org/wiki/SDNV

  -jra

Cc: [email-masked]
From: Manikantan Ramadas <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] A newbie Question.
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:59:03 -0500
To: Syed Obaid Amin <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]

This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
--Apple-Mail-3-814554175
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; delsp=yes; format=flowed

Hi Syed,

   I don't know if you had a chance to go thru' the LTP spec. draft.  
If not you can grab it here and lookup on SDNV in the Terminology  
section.
	http://masaka.cs.ohiou.edu/ltp/release-03/draft-irtf-dtnrg-ltp-03.txt

   The goal of using SDNVs is to encode unsigned variable length  
integers with variable length encoding, with the encoding itself  
implicitly telling how long the integer is. If you didn't have SDNVs,  
you have to assign a fixed size to a specific protocol field; and if  
you come up with some fixed size, like 32bits, say, it could be  
wasteful of bandwidth in information-theoretic sense if the value you  
encoded in the field was typically small such as <100 which has just  
one octet of useful information.

   SDNV encoding provides you this flexibility and optimization of  
space :
Smaller values take smaller encoding length and the larger ones take  
larger length. This saves you from coming up with a fixed length for  
a field, and lets the field's value itself tell how long it is. This  
savings in bandwidth could be quite valuable under DTN environments  
such as deep-space where bits are expensive.

- Mani.

On Jan 23, 2006, at 5:11 AM, Syed Obaid Amin wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to DTN networks. I have read few drafts on it, and still  
> not clear with the purpose of SDNV. So far what i get this is the  
> standard representation of Integer values. Am i right ?? I would be  
> glad if some one clear the purpose of SDNV in more detail.
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Syed Obaid Amin
>

--
"The quieter you become, the more you can hear." - Baba Ram Dass.
____________________________________________________________________

* Manikantan Ramadas * IRG, OU * http://irg.cs.ohiou.edu/~mramadas *
____________________________________________________________________

--Apple-Mail-3-814554175
content-type: application/pgp-signature; x-mac-type=70674453;
	name=PGP.sig
content-description: This is a digitally signed message part
content-disposition: inline; filename=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-3-814554175--

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:00:02 +0000
From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
To: Syed Obaid Amin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] A newbie Question.
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

Syed Obaid Amin wrote:
> I am new to DTN networks. I have read few drafts on it, and still not 
> clear with the purpose of SDNV. So far what i get this is the standard 
> representation of Integer values. Am i right ?? I would be glad if some 
> one clear the purpose of SDNV in more detail.

That's right - its just a way to represent arbitrary length
positive integers in a way that is fairly efficient for
short-ish values (roughly those < 2^56).

Regards,
Stephen.

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:09:52 +0100
From: Laurent FRANCK <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dtn-interest] DTN session during Spects 06
Sender: [email-masked]

Dear DTN activists,

For those of you who are interested, the TPC of Spects'06 would
be really happy to host a session covering DTNs during the event.

The CFP is available from

http://www.scs.org/confernc/summersim/summersim06/cfp/spects06.htm

Best wishes,
Laurent

-- 
Laurent Franck - Assoc. Prof.
ENST / Site of Toulouse
10 Av. Edouard Belin BP44004
F-31028 Toulouse  Cedex 4
FRANCE

Tel://+33 5 62 17 83 67
http://www.f4dwu.net

B4B9 37DD 3491 EEAF 076B  1810 5F73 9074 898D 2DD3

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:11:52 +0900
From: Syed Obaid Amin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dtn-interest] A newbie Question.
Sender: [email-masked]

------=_Part_36791_30647962.1138011112273
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Hi

I am new to DTN networks. I have read few drafts on it, and still not clear
with the purpose of SDNV. So far what i get this is the standard
representation of Integer values. Am i right ?? I would be glad if some one
clear the purpose of SDNV in more detail.

Thanks and Regards

Syed Obaid Amin

------=_Part_36791_30647962.1138011112273
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<div>Hi</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>I am new to DTN networks.&nbsp;I have read few drafts on it, and&nbsp;=
still not clear with the purpose of&nbsp;SDNV. So far what i get this is th=
e standard representation of Integer values. Am i right ?? I would be glad =
if some one clear the purpose of SDNV in more detail.
</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Thanks and Regards</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Syed Obaid Amin</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>

------=_Part_36791_30647962.1138011112273--

From: "Purvesh Thakker" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:25:33 -0600
Importance: Normal
Subject: [dtn-interest] Routing
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

How is routing in these delay-tolerant deep space networks currently
handled?

Purvesh

Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 23:56:33 -0500
From: "Krupiarz, Christopher" <[email-masked]>
To: "Lloyd Wood" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [dtn-interest] RE: [Sis-csi] Interplanetary distance laser link
Sender: [email-masked]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C61347.6A965464
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Lloyd,

No, it's not possible to do so.  Something to note, though, is even if =
it were we'd be hard pressed to keep up due to our processor, its load, =
and (at least in part, I'm sure) in how we implemented CFDP and our =
telemetry system.  Leigh Torgerson and his team at JPL have done some =
really nice work in this area by placing CFDP on an FPGA which would =
handle such high rates with bandwidth to spare.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] on behalf of Lloyd Wood
Sent: Fri 1/6/2006 7:59 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sis-csi] Interplanetary distance laser link
=20
Chris (Krupiarz), since Messenger has a CFDP implementation, is your
crew going to try running CFDP over this?

Details in attached Science paper:
Two-Way Laser Link over Interplanetary Distance, David E. Smith, Maria
T. Zuber, Xiaoli Sun,1 Gregory A. Neumann, John F. Cavanaugh, Jan F.
McGarry, Thomas W. Zagwodzki, Science vol. 311, p. 53, 6 January 2006.
Supplementary material at:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/311/5757/53/DC1

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/060104_laser_comm.html

Record Set for Space Laser Communication
By Ker Than
Staff Writer
posted: 05 January 2006
02:11 pm ET

In a cosmic version of laser tag, NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft and an
Earth-based observatory successfully exchanged laser pulses with each
other while millions of miles apart.

The feat sets a new record for laser transmission in space, a process
which may one day be used to communicate across interplanetary
distances and provide scientists with a powerful tool to measure the
movement of planets and test fundamental principles in physics.

MESSENGER was launched in 2004 on a six-year voyage to Mercury. In
late May of 2005, scientists used the spacecraft's Mercury Laser
Altimeter (MLA), an instrument designed to map Mercury's surface, to
exchange laser pulses with NASA's Goddard Geophysical and Astronomical
Observatory in Maryland. MESSENGER was approximately 15 million miles
(25 million km) away at the time.

The experiment, reported today, marks the first successful
back-and-forth exchange of laser signals between Earth and space. In
1992, laser pulses were successfully transmitted from Earth and
detected by a receiver aboard the Galileo probe while it was about 4
million miles (6 million km), but the transmission was only one way
since Galileo did not have a transmitter of its own.

Broadband in space

Two-way laser communication in space has long been a goal for NASA
because it would enable data transmission rates that are 10 to 1,000
times higher than traditional radio waves. While lasers and radio
transmissions both travel at light-speed, lasers can pack more data.
It's similar to moving from a dial-up Internet connection to
broadband.

"We've been trying to do this kind of thing for about a decade," said
David Smith, a researcher from Goddard Space Flight Center who was
involved in the experiment. "We attempted to do it on one of our Mars
probe but either we got weathered out or the spacecraft misread some
stars and everything closed down."

The Mars Telecommunications Orbiter spacecraft, set to launch in 2010,
but cancelled last summer due to budget problems, would have used
lasers to transmit data between Earth and Mars at a rate of between 1
to 30 million bits per second, depending on how close the two planets
are to each other.

Currently, the maximum data rate between Earth and Mars is about
128,000 bits per second.

Laser tag in space

A major challenge with laser communications in space is keeping
transmitter and receiver locked onto each other. This is like trying
to aim the beam of a very strong laser pointer, akin to the type used
in a conference room, at a target millions of miles away.

Radio waves radiate outwards from a transmitter in spherical ripples
rather than pencil-thin beams like lasers. So the receiver and
transmitter in a laser-based communication system have to be pointed
very precisely.

"You don't need to do that with [radiowaves],"  Smith said. "The beam
divergence is sufficiently large that if you point the antenna at
about the right place, and if you're within half a degree, you're
usually in great shape."

Laser ruler

If the technical hurdles can be overcome, lasers would benefit not
only communications, but basic science as well. Astronomers could use
lasers like very accurate rulers to measure the movement of planets
with unprecedented precision.

"With microwaves, we're limited to numbers like a meter or two in
distance, whereas [lasers have] a potential for getting down into well
beyond the centimeter range," Smith told SPACE.com.

Lasers could also be used refine basic principles of fundamental =
physics.

"If you could make planetary scale measurements at the centimeter or
millimeter level=ADwhich we can't at the moment=ADthen we could =
understand
some principles of relativistic physics which can only be tested at
very extreme accuracies at very large distances," Smith said.

The record-setting effort is described in the Jan. 6 issue of the
journal Science.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C61347.6A965464
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
6.5.7638.1">
<TITLE>RE: [Sis-csi] Interplanetary distance laser link</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Lloyd,<BR>
<BR>
No, it's not possible to do so.&nbsp; Something to note, though, is even =
if it were we'd be hard pressed to keep up due to our processor, its =
load, and (at least in part, I'm sure) in how we implemented CFDP and =
our telemetry system.&nbsp; Leigh Torgerson and his team at JPL have =
done some really nice work in this area by placing CFDP on an FPGA which =
would handle such high rates with bandwidth to spare.<BR>
<BR>
Chris<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
-----Original Message-----<BR>
From: [email-masked] on behalf of Lloyd Wood<BR>
Sent: Fri 1/6/2006 7:59 PM<BR>
To: [email-masked]<BR>
Cc: [email-masked]<BR>
Subject: [Sis-csi] Interplanetary distance laser link<BR>
<BR>
Chris (Krupiarz), since Messenger has a CFDP implementation, is your<BR>
crew going to try running CFDP over this?<BR>
<BR>
Details in attached Science paper:<BR>
Two-Way Laser Link over Interplanetary Distance, David E. Smith, =
Maria<BR>
T. Zuber, Xiaoli Sun,1 Gregory A. Neumann, John F. Cavanaugh, Jan F.<BR>
McGarry, Thomas W. Zagwodzki, Science vol. 311, p. 53, 6 January =
2006.<BR>
Supplementary material at:<BR>
<A =
HREF=3D"http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/311/5757/53/DC1">http:=
//www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/311/5757/53/DC1</A><BR>
<BR>
<A =
HREF=3D"http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/060104_laser_comm.html">http=
://www.space.com/missionlaunches/060104_laser_comm.html</A><BR>
<BR>
Record Set for Space Laser Communication<BR>
By Ker Than<BR>
Staff Writer<BR>
posted: 05 January 2006<BR>
02:11 pm ET<BR>
<BR>
In a cosmic version of laser tag, NASA's MESSENGER spacecraft and an<BR>
Earth-based observatory successfully exchanged laser pulses with =
each<BR>
other while millions of miles apart.<BR>
<BR>
The feat sets a new record for laser transmission in space, a =
process<BR>
which may one day be used to communicate across interplanetary<BR>
distances and provide scientists with a powerful tool to measure the<BR>
movement of planets and test fundamental principles in physics.<BR>
<BR>
MESSENGER was launched in 2004 on a six-year voyage to Mercury. In<BR>
late May of 2005, scientists used the spacecraft's Mercury Laser<BR>
Altimeter (MLA), an instrument designed to map Mercury's surface, to<BR>
exchange laser pulses with NASA's Goddard Geophysical and =
Astronomical<BR>
Observatory in Maryland. MESSENGER was approximately 15 million =
miles<BR>
(25 million km) away at the time.<BR>
<BR>
The experiment, reported today, marks the first successful<BR>
back-and-forth exchange of laser signals between Earth and space. In<BR>
1992, laser pulses were successfully transmitted from Earth and<BR>
detected by a receiver aboard the Galileo probe while it was about 4<BR>
million miles (6 million km), but the transmission was only one way<BR>
since Galileo did not have a transmitter of its own.<BR>
<BR>
Broadband in space<BR>
<BR>
Two-way laser communication in space has long been a goal for NASA<BR>
because it would enable data transmission rates that are 10 to 1,000<BR>
times higher than traditional radio waves. While lasers and radio<BR>
transmissions both travel at light-speed, lasers can pack more data.<BR>
It's similar to moving from a dial-up Internet connection to<BR>
broadband.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;We've been trying to do this kind of thing for about a =
decade,&quot; said<BR>
David Smith, a researcher from Goddard Space Flight Center who was<BR>
involved in the experiment. &quot;We attempted to do it on one of our =
Mars<BR>
probe but either we got weathered out or the spacecraft misread some<BR>
stars and everything closed down.&quot;<BR>
<BR>
The Mars Telecommunications Orbiter spacecraft, set to launch in =
2010,<BR>
but cancelled last summer due to budget problems, would have used<BR>
lasers to transmit data between Earth and Mars at a rate of between =
1<BR>
to 30 million bits per second, depending on how close the two =
planets<BR>
are to each other.<BR>
<BR>
Currently, the maximum data rate between Earth and Mars is about<BR>
128,000 bits per second.<BR>
<BR>
Laser tag in space<BR>
<BR>
A major challenge with laser communications in space is keeping<BR>
transmitter and receiver locked onto each other. This is like trying<BR>
to aim the beam of a very strong laser pointer, akin to the type =
used<BR>
in a conference room, at a target millions of miles away.<BR>
<BR>
Radio waves radiate outwards from a transmitter in spherical ripples<BR>
rather than pencil-thin beams like lasers. So the receiver and<BR>
transmitter in a laser-based communication system have to be pointed<BR>
very precisely.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;You don't need to do that with [radiowaves],&quot;&nbsp; Smith =
said. &quot;The beam<BR>
divergence is sufficiently large that if you point the antenna at<BR>
about the right place, and if you're within half a degree, you're<BR>
usually in great shape.&quot;<BR>
<BR>
Laser ruler<BR>
<BR>
If the technical hurdles can be overcome, lasers would benefit not<BR>
only communications, but basic science as well. Astronomers could =
use<BR>
lasers like very accurate rulers to measure the movement of planets<BR>
with unprecedented precision.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;With microwaves, we're limited to numbers like a meter or two =
in<BR>
distance, whereas [lasers have] a potential for getting down into =
well<BR>
beyond the centimeter range,&quot; Smith told SPACE.com.<BR>
<BR>
Lasers could also be used refine basic principles of fundamental =
physics.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;If you could make planetary scale measurements at the centimeter =
or<BR>
millimeter level=ADwhich we can't at the moment=ADthen we could =
understand<BR>
some principles of relativistic physics which can only be tested at<BR>
very extreme accuracies at very large distances,&quot; Smith said.<BR>
<BR>
The record-setting effort is described in the Jan. 6 issue of the<BR>
journal Science.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C61347.6A965464--

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 20:50:10 +0100 (CET)
From: "Laurent Franck" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Importance: Normal
Subject: [dtn-interest] DTN stack on Linksys wireless router
Sender: [email-masked]

Dear All,

Just to let you know that together with Felipe Gil Castineira (University
of Vigo), we've ported the DTN ref implementation on a Linksys WRT54G
loaded with openwrt.

All the gory details and the files are available from

http://www.f4dwu.net/viewpage.php?page_id=5

Best wishes,

Laurent Franck

PS: I noticed that I forgot to post the modified source code. I'll do this
as soon as I got back to work on Monday.

--------
Associate professor
ENST/Site of Toulouse
http://www.f4dwu.net

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:21:45 -0600 (CST)
From: "Dr. Hongyi Wu" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: [dtn-interest] Deadline is Approaching: IEEE Workshop on Delay Tolerant Mobile Networks (DTMN'06)
Sender: [email-masked]

========================================================================
     IEEE Workshop on Delay Tolerant Mobile Networks (DTMN'06)
            in conjunction with IEEE IWCMC 2006

========================================================================

Objective: Mobile communication has experienced an explosive growth during
the last few years. Various researches have been carried out for
mesh-based mobile networks, where an end-to-end path from the source to
the destination always exists. In many application scenarios, however, the
connectivity between the mobile stations is poor, and thus it is difficult
to form a well-connected mesh network for transmitting data through
end-to-end connections. In this workshop we aim to explore novel designs
for such delay tolerant mobile networks and bring together
state-of-the-art contributions in this emerging area.

Topic of Interests: Topics of interest include, but are not limited to the
following:

* New architecture of delay tolerant mobile networks
* New design of protocol stack for delay tolerant mobile networks
* Delay and fault tolerance in mobile peer-to-peer and sensor networks
* Mobility management and modeling
* Security and privacy
* Localization and synchronization
* System modeling and performance evaluation
* Testbed implementation and experimental results

Submission deadline: Jan. 15, 2006.

Submission guideline: see details at IEEE IWCMC website
http://www.iwcmc2006.cs.wmich.edu/.

Workshop Co-Chairs:

Hongyi Wu
Center for Advanced Computer Studies
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Email: [email-masked]

Dipak Ghosal
Department of Computer Science
University of California, Davis
E-mail: [email-masked]

Program Committee:

* Ammar, Mostafa , Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
* Belding-Royer, Elizabeth M., Univ. of California, Santa Barbara, USA
* Gui, Cho, Kiyon Inc., USA
* Haas, Zygmunt J., Cornell University, USA
* Kim, Minkyong, Dartmouth College, USA
* Li, Zhi, SBC Communications, USA
* Lin, Feng, Sichuan University, China
* Liu, Xin, University of California, Davis, USA
* Mascolo, Cecilia, University College of London, UK
* Mooi Choo Chuah, Lehigh University, USA
* Qiao, Chunming, State University of New York at Buffalo, USA
* Zhang, Zhensheng, San Diego Research Center, USA
* Zheng, Haitao, University of California, Santa Barbara, USA

--Hongyi
========================================================================
Dr. Hongyi Wu,  Assistant Professor
The Center for Advanced Computer Studies (CACS)
University of Louisiana (UL) at Lafayette
P.O. Box 44330, Lafayette, LA 70504-4330, U.S.A.
Tel: 337-482-5779, Fax: 337-482-5791
E-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.cacs.louisiana.edu/~wu
========================================================================