Subject: [dtn-interest] CFP: ExtremeCom 2011; The 3rd Extreme Conference on Communication - The Amazon Expedition

From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:54:29 +0200

* Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP *

*****************************************************************************
Call for Papers and Demos for The 3rd Extreme Conference on
Communication - The Amazon Expedition (ExtremeCom 2011)
http://extremecom.org/

The Extreme Conference on Communication (ExtremeCom) intends to bring
together researchers and practitioners in areas related to delay
tolerant networks and other networking paradigms for rural and remote
areas, in order to gain experience and insight into the challenges
that such environments pose for the network and the users.

Following on from the success of ExtremeCom 2009 - The Midnight Sun
Expedition in Laponia, Sweden, and ExtremeCom 2010 - The Himalayan
Expedition in Dharamsala, India, we now offer ExtremeCom 2011 - The
Amazon Expedition. In this edition, we aim to explore the challenges
of the deep Amazon Rainforest in Brazil. Located 21 miles (34 km) from
Manaus. The chosen spot is known as Praia do Tupé (Tupé beach), a
beautiful and remote beach accessed only by boat through the waters of
the Black River. The population is composed by natives living in
little communities spread around the jungle and also on the river
shore. These people experience constant communication interruptions
and most of them do not have any access to the Internet, which makes
this area a great field of experiments to DTN systems.

Hosted by Federal University Of Amazonas (UFAM) the conference will
start with 3 days of immersion into the jungle where the conference
participants will aid in setting up and deploying an extension of a
DTN system in this area in order to provide connectivity to a new
community. During this time the participants will have the chance to
hike around the trails, interact with the locals and also know some
natural phenomenons like the “meeting of the waters”, where the black
waters of the Negro River meet the brown waters of the Solimões River,
flowing side by side without mixing for about 9 km.

The immersion will not only give a better idea of both the technical
and user requirements of such a system, but it will also give many
opportunities for informal research discussions between the
participants. Participants that have their own software for scenarios
like this will also, to as great an extent as possible, be encouraged
to test and demonstrate it within this environment.

Upon reaching the end of the “field experience”, there will be two
days of paper presentations and demos in a more traditional conference
venue at UFAM's facilities in Manaus. Focus will still be on informal
research discussions, with the hope that the field experience will
give participants the ability to discuss the topics in a new light.

Participants should submit 6 page papers about ideas and visions about
the topics of the conference or demo proposals to be shown during the
conference. Visionary and thought-provoking papers that are likely to
generate much discussion during the conference are especially
solicited. The aim of the conference is to maintain an informal
environment, where new research ideas can be discussed and
developed. We also hope to have a demo session where participants
can show their implementations and systems. If you want to show a demo,
 please submit a 2 page demo proposal using the same submission system
as for conference papers.

Topics for the conference include, but are not limited to:
* Testbeds for large-scale sustainable testing of DTN systems
* Real deployments of networks in extreme environments
* Business and service models for networks in rural, remote, and other
challenging environments
* User experience research
* Delay tolerant networking
* Low-power and intermittent-power protocols
* Mechanisms for emergency and urgent communications
* Networked applications and services

Due to logistics and the need to conduct the conference in harmony with
the local population and the environment, the number of participants
may be limited. Priority will be given to authors of papers.

*****************************************************************************
Important dates
---------------
Conference dates: September 26-30, 2011
Field experience and network deployment: September 26-28
Technical sessions: September 29-30
Submission deadline: June 6, 2011
Notification of acceptance: July 1, 2011

*****************************************************************************
Organizers
----------
General co-chairs:
Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden
Pan Hui, Deutsche Telekom Laboratories and TU Berlin, Germany

Local arrangement committee:
Edjair Mota, UFAM, Brazil
JB Pinto Neto, UFAM, Brazil
Alfredo Gold, University of Sao Paolo, Brazil
Aline Carneiro Viara Iannonne, TU Berlin, Germany / INRIA, France

Publicity chair:
TBC

Sponsorship chair:
TBC

Publication chair:
TBC

Web chair:
Fehmi Ben Abdesslem, University of St. Andrews, UK

Technical Program Committee:
Yahel Ben-David, University of California - Berkeley, USA
Elwyn Davies, Folly Consulting, UK
Avri Doria, US
Stephen Farrell, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Tristan Henderson, University of St. Andrews, UK
Jörg Ott, TKK, Helsinki, Finland
Aaditeshwar Seth, IIT Delhi, India
more to be confirmed

Steering Committee:
Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, UK
Avri Doria, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden
Tristan Henderson, University of St. Andrews, UK
Pan Hui, Deutsche Telekom Laboratories and TU Berlin, Germany
Anders Lindgren, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Sweden
*****************************************************************************