Subject: [dtn-interest] Proxy server for files

From: Tom Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 01:28:22 -0800 (PST)

I am wondering if there is a proxy server for files?
I have a samba server with tv shows and movies witch I watch through a media center
I have been asked indirectly "can we access the files?" by friends
Dtn/seakernet is my only option for them to access the files
But because i have 1TB of data and growing, i want my friends to subscribe to the tv shows they want like a podcast

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

---

From: Ian Glennon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:24:18 +0000

Over and above the clearly illegal activity you are describing, I'm not
sure DTN would be the best method for achieving your aims.

Regards
Ian

On Jan 26, 2012 9:30 AM, "Tom Sparks" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> But because i have 1TB of data and growing, i want my friends to
subscribe to the tv shows they want like a podcast
> _______________________________________________
> dtn-interest mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn-interest
>

---

From: Greg Troxel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:51:46 -0500

Ian Glennon <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I am wondering if there is a proxy server for files?  I have a samba
>> server with tv shows and movies witch I watch through a media center
>> Dtn/seakernet is my only option for them to access the files But
>> because i have 1TB of data and growing, i want my friends to

> Over and above the clearly illegal activity you are describing

Off-topic, but that's astoundingly definitive given that it seems nearly
impossible for you to have access to all the relevant facts.

Separating copyright issues from what is an interesting technical
question:

> I'm not sure DTN would be the best method for achieving your aims.

Why do you say that?  It seems like there's a vast amount of data, it's
needed in multiple places, the need for data is quite tolerant to delay,
and moving disks (or having laptops with people, or having a few G spare
in phones that have wifi, etc.) around is quite feasible.  This seems to
be entirely within DTN's design aim.

I have on occasion taken most of a GB of map data to other people to
load onto their machines, managed manually (to avoid waiting for loading
on 1 Mb/s DSL), but had their been some DTN-type way to do this it might
have been better.  The situation isn't so different from Tom's (except
that I don't watch TV :-), and I'm using OSM data licensed under
cc-by-sa (which may or may not be copyrightable in the first place)).

To me this once again points out that there don't seem to be any
application-level programs that use DTN -- I have yet to see an
announcement of a chat program or MTA that runs over BP, or a
distributed filesystem.  Certainly a DTN podcast distribution mechanism
would be useful for communities with sporadic local connectivity and
poor long-haul internet connections.