Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] banking system in a DTN

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 07:35:18 -0500

If you are disconnected - which is when you should be using DTN - then the banking application needs to be re-written to handle long periods of disconnection, or you security and session timers will time out.

If you think of DTN as a network of multi-hop nodes in which Node A can never talk to Node D directly, but has to hop through B and C and there is never a completely connected path from A to D, you should begin to understand why applications have to be DTN aware to actually be useful in a generic Disconnected Tolerant Network.

If you just want to tunnel IP over DTN in a fully connected, always-on network, everything should work just fine.

- Will

On Mar 31, 2012, at 6:14 AM, Abdulkader Benchi wrote:

Hello,
As long as I know, when you use a DTN protocol in your communication level
you will have many other problems in the upper levels.
In fact, it will not be so easy (perhaps impossible) to support or
guarantee security and consensus issues in the application levels when
using a DTN protocol.
As you know, these issues are very important to be supported in any bank
system.
So to answer your question, you can use any type of communication
protocols but you have to think twice how will such protocol helps you to
support other issues.

Sincerely,

Kader

the transaction needs to be idempotent in case duplicate detection of the
convention type fails.

v

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 5:51 AM, Marshall Eubanks <
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Tom Sparks <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
wrote:
How would the banking system work in a DTN?

DTN is a transport mode. As long as the packets get there, why should
the
banking be different?

After all, there was banking back when it took weeks to cross the
Atlantic. Why
should it be a fundamental problem if it takes 30 minutes to send a
message to Mars?

Regards
Marshall

---
tom_a_sparks "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
Please use ISO approved file formats excluding Office Open XML -
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
Ubuntu wiki page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/tomsparks
3 x (x)Ubuntu 10.04, Amiga A1200 WB 3.1, UAE AF 2006 Premium Edition,
AF
2012 Plus Edition, Sam440 AOS 4.1.2, Roland DXY-1300 pen plotter, Cutok
DC330 cutter/pen plotter
Wanted: RiscOS system, GEOS system (C64/C128), Atari ST, Apple
Macintosh
(6502/68k/PPC only)
_______________________________________________
dtn-interest mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn-interest
_______________________________________________
dtn-interest mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn-interest

_______________________________________________
dtn-interest mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn-interest

--
BENCHI Abdulkader ---------------------------------------------
Doctorant
Laboratoire VALORIA - Université de Bretagne Sud
Rue Yves Mainguy
Campus de Tohannic, BP 573
56017 Vannes cedex, France
Email: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
http://www-valoria.univ-ubs.fr/Abdulkader.Benchi/
tel :     +33 (0)2 97 01 72 96
fax :     +33 (0)9 56 89 94 20
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
dtn-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn-interest

******************************
William D. Ivancic
Phone 216-433-3494
Fax 216-433-8705
Networking Lab 216-433-2620
Mobile 440-503-4892
http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~ivancic

---

From: "Abdelmajid Khelil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 19:08:14 +0200

Dear Tom,

We have published some preliminary results on DT transactions in the
following papers. I hope this helps you answering your question:

- Brahim Ayari, Abdelmajid khelil, Neearj Suri "Exploring Delay-Aware
Transactions in Heterogenous Mobile Environments" In: Journal of Software
- Volume 4 issue 7, pp. 634-643, 2009.

- Brahim Ayari, Abdelmajid Khelil, Neeraj Suri "On the Design of
Perturbation-Resilient Atomic Commit Protocols for Mobile Transactions",
ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (ToCS), Vol. 29, No. 3, PP 7:1-7:36,
August 2011.

- Brahim Ayari, Abdelmajid Khelil and Neeraj Suri "ParTAC: A
Partition-Tolerant Atomic Commit Protocol for MANETs", In Proc. of The
11th International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM), 2010.

Best,
Majid

On Sat, March 31, 2012 10:58 am, Tom Sparks wrote:
> 3 x (x)Ubuntu 10.04, Amiga A1200 WB 3.1, UAE AF 2006 Premium Edition, AF
> Wanted: RiscOS system, GEOS system (C64/C128), Atari ST, Apple Macintosh
> (6502/68k/PPC only)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Abdelmajid Khelil    khelil(at)informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
TU Darmstadt - CS Department                      DEEDS Group
Hochschulstr. 10 S2:02 E219            D-64289 Darmstadt, GER
Tel. +49-6151-16-3414                   Fax. +49-6151-16-4310
http://www.deeds.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/khelil/index.html
-------------------------------------------------------------