Subject: [dtn-interest] INRIA internship offer for Spring 2014

From: Aline Carneiro Viana <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 16:25:01 +0100

Dear colleagues,

First of all, I wish to all a very happy new year.

We are offering an internship position for a period of 5 months PhD 
students in the general area of mobile wireless networks at INRIA. INRIA 
is a French public science and technology institution established in 
1967 and fully dedicated to computational sciences.

We are looking for interns to work on the research subject described 
hereafter.

Best regards,
Aline C. Viana
INRIA Research Scientist

-- Title -- Classifying ties in dynamic contact networks.

-- Starting date -- Spring 2014.

-- Scope --

The problem of classifying user relationships is attracting a growing 
attention in multiple contexts, due to the implications it has on, e.g., 
adaptive service provisioning, advertising, and prediction of interests. 
In the specific case of communication networking, such a classification 
is mainly relevant to contact networks built by handhelds featuring 
short-range communication technologies - envisioned to enable a novel 
data transport paradigm based on opportunistic device-to-device 
transfers.The internship focuses on extending a promising strategy that 
allows classifying user interactions based on contacts among their 
mobile devices [1]. By comparing the contact network of interest with an 
artificial random equivalent, the strategy is capable of telling apart 
different types of social and non-social ties. The diverse nature of the 
ties has in turn a significant impact on, e.g., opportunistic routing in 
the contact network.

-- Objective --

Specifically, the intern will work on enhancing the operation of the 
aforementioned strategy towards a fully distributed solution, and on 
extending its performance evaluation, by studying spatio-temporal 
correlations and its positioning against competing solutions.The 
internship is expected to start before the end of 2013, and will last 5 
months. It will be carried out at one of the INRIA Units located in 
Paris region, the INRIA Saclay - Ile de France. The intern will join an 
international research team bringing together researchers from France, 
Italy and Brazil.

-- Requirements --

We are looking for a PhD student with a relevant publication track who 
is creative in proposing solutions and capable of critical analysis of 
results.We demand the student: - to have at least 1 year of doctoral 
studies - to have excellent skills in scripting (e.g., bash, awk) - to 
have excellent skills in programming (e.g., python, C, C++, Java) - to 
have a strong background in wireless and mobile networking (e.g., 
WiFi/IEEE 802.11 WLANs) and protocol design - to be familiar with 
concepts related to complex networks, data mining, graph theory or 
social networking - to be fluent in spoken and written EnglishExperience 
with large-scale simulation and mobility modeling are considered a plus.

-- Contact --

Interested candidates should contact Aline Carneiro Viana 
([email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>), by sending their 
CV and at least one recommendation letter.

-- Keywords --

Social-aware techniques, dynamic and complex wireless networks, social 
networking, random graphs

-- References --

[1] P. Vaz de Melo, A. Viana, M. Fiore, K. Jaffres-Runser, F. Le Mouel, 
A. Loureiro, RECAST: Telling Apart Social and Random Relationships in 
Dynamic Networks, ACM/IEEE MSWiM 2013, Barcelona, Spain, September 2013

--------------------------------------------

-- 
Document sans titre

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Aline Carneiro Viana*

INRIA Research Scientist, France**

*IEEE SECON 2014 Workshop Co-Chair (**http://www.ieee-secon.org/**)*

**

ogo

*www.inria.fr <http://www.inria.fr/>*

_Phone:_+33 1 72 92 59 42

_Fax:_+33 1 74 85 59 36

_Office:_1042, 1st floor

_Building:_Alan Turing building
_Address*:*_**INRIA Saclay -- Ile de France, *1 rue**Honoré d'Estienne 
d'Orves ***

*Campus de l'École Polytechnique, 91120 Palaiseau*

https://sites.google.com/site/alinecviana/