Subject: [dtn-interest] ExtremeCom 2014 - The Galápagos Expedition

From: Fernando Ramos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 13:58:26 +0100

We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this message.

****************************************************************** 

CALL FOR PAPERS AND DEMOS

Extreme Conference on Communication and Computing - The Galápagos Expedition

ExtremeCom 2014

11-16 August, Galápagos Islands, Ecuador 

 <http://www.extremecom.org/> http://www.extremecom.org/ 

****************************************************************** 

Important dates 

--------------- ----

Submission deadline: May 4, 2014

Notification of acceptance: May 26, 2014

Early registration deadline: June 7, 2014

Registration deadline: June 15, 2014

Conference dates: August 11-16, 2014 (tentative dates)

****************************************** 

Scope 

-------

The Extreme Conference on Communication and Computing (ExtremeCom) brings
together researchers and practitioners in areas related to communications in
rural, remote or other extreme environments, and computing in extreme
operating conditions such as extreme temperatures and energy constraints,
extreme quantities ("big data"), extremely large-scale systems, and extreme
levels of threat and uncertainty, in order to gain experience and insight
into the challenges that such environments pose for the network and the
users. 

We welcome a broad range of topics concerning both technical and economical
aspects, for example wireless communication, mobile computing, low power
devices and protocols, delay tolerant networks and other networking
paradigms, distributed computing paradigms, big data, distributed systems,
cloud computing, business and services models, user experiences and web
applications. Researches addressing computing challenges in general mobile
environments (even not completely extreme) are also welcomed by the
conference.

Following on from the success of ExtremeCom 2009 - The Midnight Sun
Expedition in Laponia, Sweden, ExtremeCom 2010 - The Himalayan Expedition in
Dharamsala, India, ExtremeCom 2011 - The Amazon Expedition in Manaus,
Brazil, ExtremeCom 2012 - The Swiss Alps Winter Expedition in Zurich,
Switzerland, and ExtremeCom 2013 - The Volcanic Expedition in the
Eyjafjallajökull Volcano region in Iceland, we present the ExtremeCom 2014
edition: The Galápagos Expedition. The conference will start with 3 days of
excursions in the amazing nature of the Galápagos Islands. Along the way,
participants will get to see and experience the islands and their plant and
animal life, both above and beneath the surface of the ocean. The immersion
will not only give a better idea of both the technical and user requirements
of such a harsh environment, but it will also give many opportunities for
informal research discussions between the participants. Participants that
have their own software for scenarios like this will also, to as great an
extent as possible, be encouraged to test and demonstrate it within this
environment. After the excursions, there will be two days of paper
presentations and demos. Focus will still be on informal research
discussions, with the hope that the field experience will give participants
the ability to discuss the topics in a new light.

*****************

Submission Guidelines 

--------------------------- 

Participants should submit 6 page papers about ideas and visions about the
topics of the conference or demo proposals to be shown during the
conference. Visionary and thought-provoking papers that are likely to
generate much discussion during the conference are especially solicited. The
aim of the conference is to maintain an informal environment, where new
research ideas can be discussed and developed. We also hope to have a demo
session where participants can show their implementations and systems. If
you want to show a demo, please submit a 2 page demo proposal using the same
submission system as for conference papers. Accepted papers will be
published in the ACM Digital Library. A selected set of top submissions will
be fast-tracked to a special issue in a reputed SCI/E journal.

We only accept PDF files, no greater than 6 pages in length (2 pages for the
demos), including text, figures and references. Manuscripts should use the
ACM templates (for LaTeX, please use Option 2 files), with 9pt fonts.

Topics for the conference include, but are not limited to:

Testbeds for large-scale sustainable testing of moobile communication
systems

Real deployments of networks in extreme environments

Business and service models for networks in rural, remote, and other
challenging environments

Delay tolerant networking

User experience research

Big data research such as mining and modeling of mobility and social network

Cloud computing for extreme scalability

Mesh networks and sensor networks

Low-power and intermittent-power protocols

Mechanisms for emergency and urgent communications

Distributed computing for mobile environments

Networked applications and services

Operating system and middleware support for mobile computing and networking

Security, privacy, and trustworthiness of extreme communications

Underwater networking

Robotic communications and mobile augmented reality

Due to logistics, the number of participants will be limited. Priority will
be given to authors of papers and those who register first.

****************************************************************************
* 

Organizers 

--------------- 

General co-chairs:

Pan Hui, HKUST, Hong Kong / T-Labs, Germany

Anders Lindgren, SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden

Local conference operations chair:

Carlos Herrera, Escuela Politécnica Nacional, Ecuador

TPC vice-chairs:

Jorge Sá Silva, University of Coimbra, Portugal

Pei Zhang, Carnegie Mellon University, USA

Sponsorship co-chairs:

Filipe Mota Pinto, Instituto Politécnica Leiria, Portugal

Carlos Egas, Escuela Politécnica Nacional, Ecuador

Publicity chair:

Fernando Ramos, University of Lisbon, Portugal

Web chair:

Fehmi Ben Abdesslem, SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden

Technical Program Committee: 

Yahel Ben-David, University of California - Berkeley, USA

Fernando Boavida, University of Coimbra, Portugal

Elwyn Davies, Folly Consulting, UK

Michael Doering, Bosch Research, Germany

Stephen Farrell, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland

Marco Fiore, INSA Lyon/INRIA, France

Roy Friedman, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Israel

Paulo Gil, University of New Lisbon, Portugal 

Sumi Helal, University of Florida, USA

Bob Iannucci, Carnegie Mellon University SV, USA

Christine Julien, University of Texas at Austin, USA

Trevor Pering, Google, USA 

James Kwok, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong

Franck Legendre, Uepaa AG, Switzerland

Marimuthu Palaniswami, Univ. Melbourne, Australia

André Rodrigues, University of Coimbra, Portugal

Joel Rodrigues, University of Beira Interior, Portugal

Anthony Rowe, Carnegie Mellon University, USA

Milan Simek, University of Brno, Czech Republic Jörg Ott, Aalto University,
Finland

Kevin I-Kai Wang, Univ. Auckland, New Zealand

Klaus Wehrle, RWTH Aachen University, Germany

Lars Wolf, TU Braunschweig, Germany

Lin Zhang, University of Tsinghua, China

Steering Committee:

Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge, UK

Avri Doria, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden

Tristan Henderson, University of St. Andrews, UK

Pan Hui, HKUST, Hong Kong / T-Labs, Germany

Anders Lindgren, SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden

****************************************************************************
*

Fernando

========

 <http://www.di.fc.ul.pt/~fvramos/> http://www.di.fc.ul.pt/~fvramos/