Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] [dtn] DTN static routing

From: "Iannicca, Dennis C. (GRC-LCA0)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:04:01 +0000

On 4/22/15, 8:35 AM, "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-LCA0)"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>My understanding is Static mean hard wired.  You know what, where and when
>- similar to IP static routing where you know what and where.  No protocol
>is involved.  It is simply configuration.  You propagate the forwarding
>table.
>
>If I recall correctly, static routes usually get preference over dynamic
>routes.
>
>Will

With IP you have a configurable weight or metric for each route.  Static
routes are usually weighted the highest after directly connected networks,
but there are instances where you may want to prefer dynamically learned
routes and only have a static route as a fallback.  The design should
allow the network engineers to decide how they want to weight their
routes.