Subject: [dtn-users] DTN2 on NSLU2 (and bounce report for [email-masked])
From: Darren Long <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:47:25 +0100
List-Id: discussion/answers list for users of the dtn reference implementation <dtn-users.mailman.dtnrg.org>

Originally sent as personal email to Chris, but bounced so posted  
here instead.

Darren
---------
  - These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail  
server:
[email-masked]; Failed; 4.4.7 (delivery time expired)

Reporting-MTA: dns; n064.sc1.he.tucows.com
Received-from-MTA: dns; [192.168.0.6] (86.31.103.61)
Arrival-Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:20:48 +0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email-masked]
Action: Failed
Status: 4.4.7 (delivery time expired)

From: Darren Long <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 April 2007 21:20:43 BDT
To: Christopher Small <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: DTN on NSLU2

Hi Chris,

I'd been running OpenSlug http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ on the NSLSU2  
but had never got a cross-compiler setup when along came an installer  
for Debian Etch release candidate. http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/ 
Debian/HomePage  With that installed, I resorted to native  
compilation on the NSLU2, back in January.  Its not exactly fast,  
although pulling an SMT resistor will de-underclock the ARM CPU back  
to 266MHz (I think).  There's all sorts of useful info on that site.

In January, I found I had to turn off the cast alignment warning in  
Rules.mak(s) and tweak the apps options parsing routine to use  
unsigned chars (I think) explicitly, see previous post on the dtn- 
users list.  I had a go at native compilation again on Sunday, but a  
few hours later put my laptop to sleep and lost the shell session.  I  
had another go and noticed it had got into the apps directory again  
before what looks like a similar compiler error occurred and I got  
distracted by something else.  I must remember to use screen for long  
builds on that box.  Anyway, it looks almost good to go, in its  
current state, possibly with a bit of massaging in the apps region.

Functionally, I've found dtnd to be solid on my NSLU2, which has a  
160GB USB disk for its / filesystem (less a couple of GBs of swap),  
and ran it for 77 days without reboot (finally caving in to the Etch  
release dist-upgrade). Its running with about 1MB free RAM Ping  
works, but I've not really tried the other apps on any of the ARM  
gear.  I'm not really sure what state they are in at the moment.   
I'll probably try out dtntunnel on the n800 soon though.  I haven't  
really stressed the NSLU2 either, being down in the weeds at 1200  
baud (loopback,not RF) at the farest reaches of my experimental  
household DTN ;-)

I'll knock up a patch when its built. By the way, I'm  curious to  
know which parts of the TCP-CL were changed in the recent check-in,  
as I forked my AX.25 Connected Mode CL from CVS in January, and I've  
yet to look into reconciling any changes.  My CL is pretty much a  
direct clone of the TCP-CL down to the AX.25Socket clone of IPSocket.

Darren

On 17 Apr 2007, at 16:07, Christopher Small wrote:

> Darren -
>
> This is the first I've heard of the NSLU2 -- it looks like a very  
> interesting device. What did you need to do to DTN2 to get it to  
> build and run, or did it work out of the box?
>
> Also, any tips on the NSLU2? I'll probably get one to play with.
>
> - Chris
> -- 
> Dr. Christopher Small                         617.873.6261 (vox)
> Networking Research        x(){ x|x& };x      617.873.6091 (fax)
> BBN Technologies | MS 6/5C | 10 Moulton St | Cambridge MA, 02138
>
>