Subject: [dtn-users] Improving performance in DTN2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 16:04:52 -0400

We're working on improving the performance of DTN2, specifically on the
processing of bundles that come in over the network. We've surveyed the
literature on this subject, but if anyone has any further insights or
tools that may be helpful to us, we would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Angela

Angela Hennessy
Laboratory for Telecommunications Sciences (LTS)

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 15:30:35 +0100

Good stuff.

Look forward to seeing the results.

One other unrelated thing: max bundle size is currently abut 2GB
then it breaks.

We had some msc students look at this a couple of years ago as
a term assignment and they fixed it, but then they went and lost
their code, graduated and buggered off;-)

So its an easy fix and maybe related to this work, e.g. if you
look at performance vs. bundle size then you might want to fix
this.

S

On 05/02/2012 09:04 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> dtn-users mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn-users
>

---

From: Razvan BEURAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 09:25:04 +0900 (JST)

Dear Angela,

I think your effort is very valuable when thinking about the applicability 
of DTN concepts to everyday scenarios. I say this because I have seen 
throughput results that show that DTN2 performance is lower than that of 
IBR-DTN. Moreover, in our experiments we noticed that dtnping performance 
in DTN2 is also significantly worse compared to IBR-DTN.

In this context I think it would be useful if you could share more details 
about the following issues:

1) Exactly what kind of performance characteristics are you trying to
    improve? Is it throughput?

2) Have you already established a baseline you can compare your
    improvements to? If so, are these results published somewhere, or could
    they be made public?

3) Are you only looking at evaluating the performance in 2-node scenarios,
    or do you have larger setups in mind? Our experience using a network
    emulation testbed showed that in scenarios with many nodes things do
    break up for DTN2. We have only tried up to 25 nodes because of the bad
    results we've got (especially for dtnping), but larger experiments are
    possible. If you are interested, I could provide mroe details to you
    about our testbed and general approach (note that the results are
    not yet public).

Best wishes,
Razvan