Subject: [dtn] UDPCL as proposed standard

From: "Sipos, Brian J." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:04:07 +0000

All,

I didn't get a chance to dig into the UDPCL slides [1] at IETF 113; the main
point in there is that there is currently at least one space agency
specification being drafted [2] which treats UDPCL as a standard, while
currently it [3] is more like a UDP port assignment, checksum requirement,
and some guidance about congestion control and fragmentation. There is no
mention of things that would make a UDPCL firewall or NAT friendly, and no
mention of one of the unique capabilities of UDP: transport over IP
multicast.

Part of this proposal for UDPCL standardization is based in the current
charter item for new CLAs and part is to use UDP-over-IP-multicast in
support of charter item for discovery protocol. I also don't think there is
much work beyond feature triage and wordsmithing, since there is some form
of UDPCL already in use among the various BP implementations, but that some
form of extensibility is needed by a proposed standard UDPCL.

Thanks for the consideration,

Brian S.

[1]
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/113/materials/slides-113-dtn-sipos-all-
topics-00

[2]
https://esc.gsfc.nasa.gov/static-files/Draft%20LunaNet%20Interoperability%20
Specification%20Final.pdf

[3] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7122