Subject: [e2md] what is E.164 metadata?

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:35:21 -0500

We seem to have two conflicting definitions:

1) Metadata is any data about a phone number, when that data is not a
URI used to establish a session with the phone number.

2) Metadata is data about the ENUM tree, such as hints as to how much
further one might have to traverse the tree before reaching a leaf node,
or that indicates a leaf node has been found and that no service
pointers are associated with that node.

This leads to the question: Is CNAM metadata, or something else?

--
Dean

---

From: "PFAUTZ, PENN L (ATTCORP)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:40:05 -0400

I'd say CNAM is metadata - the user data associated with number

Penn Pfautz
AT&T Access Management
+1-732-420-4962

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Dean Willis
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:35 PM
To: E.164 To MetaData BOF discussion list
Subject: [e2md] what is E.164 metadata?

--
Dean
_______________________________________________
e2md mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/e2md

---

From: Jay Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:37:05 +1300

Are being deliberately awkward?

> We seem to have two conflicting definitions:

No we don't.  We have multiple uses for metadata

> URI used to establish a session with the phone number.

That does not exclude CNAM in any way shape or form.  Any connection requires decisions made by both parties - who to connect to and whether to accept the connection.  CNAM comes into the latter, but I can see various hypothetical other metadata that would also come into the latter
- an indicator that the calling number is used by automated systems not people
- a signature from an agency that guarantees the originator is not a marketing caller.

Jay

-- 
Jay Daley
Chief Executive
.nz Registry Services (New Zealand Domain Name Registry Limited)
desk: +64 4 931 6977
mobile: +64 21 678840

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:44:53 -0500

Jay Daley wrote:
> That does not exclude CNAM in any way shape or form.  Any connection
> requires decisions made by both parties - who to connect to and whether
> to accept the connection.  CNAM comes into the latter, but I can see
> various hypothetical other metadata that would also come into the latter

Yes, def 1 includes CNAM as metadata. Def 2 doesn't.

How about CPC and OLI? Are those things metadata that is of interest to
the called party and not the calling party?

--
Dean

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:26:02 -0400

> the called party and not the calling party?

I don't know what the expectations are here.
Based on the investigation I did of defined values for these things 
referenced in the uui stuff, there are some that are pertinent to the 
calling user, some to the called user, and some that are dynamic 
properties of a call, not of either the caller or callee.

So I imagine *some* might be metadata of phone numbers. For instance 
determining the caller is from a prison is analogous to getting cnam data.

OTOH, most of those things have to do with AoRs or devices, regardless 
of whether they are associated with phone numbers or not. So mechanisms 
that only work for phone numbers may be dubious.

	Thanks,
	Paul