Subject: [EAI] ACE

From: Shawn Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:31:29 -0800

Seems to me that the simplest workaround for non-Unicode aware systems is just for the user's admin to assign an ASCII alias for the user's Unicode name if its necessary...

- Shawn

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:35:24 +0900

At 11:31 07/11/15, Shawn Steele wrote:
>Seems to me that the simplest workaround for non-Unicode aware systems is 
>just for the user's admin to assign an ASCII alias for the user's Unicode 
>name if its necessary...

Yes indeed. And that's already necessary for the protocol anyway,
in the form of alt-address.

For a company that's collecting data from customers into a system
that cannot handle our new addresses (and please not that this is
independent of whether the system overall can handle non-ASCII
characters or not), they may just have to add a little comment
("ASCII only" or some such) near the email address field, and
they will have to test internally that the address is ascii-clean.
But the later is most probably already done anyway.

Regards,     Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 03:07:07 -0500

--On Wednesday, 14 November, 2007 18:31 -0800 Shawn Steele
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Seems to me that the simplest workaround for non-Unicode aware
> systems is just for the user's admin to assign an ASCII alias
> for the user's Unicode name if its necessary...

And that conclusion, reached tentatively even before the WG was
chartered, is exactly why we have Alt-Address.  

Given the conclusion that there will be many circumstances in
which those who have non-ASCII addresses will want to have
all-ASCII aliases ones available -- I believe even after every
MUA, MSA, and MTA in the world is UTF8SMTP capable -- the only
questions are whether that capability should be supported by
in-band means (such as Alt-Address) or whether out-of-band ones
(such as turning over the business card) are sufficient.

     john