Subject: [EAI] #1518 Normalization - a proposal for resolution

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:03:07 +0100

On remembering the discussions about the normalization issue, what about 
the following?

In section 4.1, replace the "note in draft" with the following text:

   This document does not make any requirement that UTF-8 be normalized.

   While normalization, and casefolding where appropriate, is strongly 
recommended
   for all identifiers, the intent of this protocol suite is that the 
UTF-8 characters that
   are carried are the UTF-8 characters supplied by the sending application.

   Normalization will not happen as part of mail forwarding.

Does that seem appropriate?

                   Harald

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Yangwoo Ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:18:48 +0900

>   Normalization will not happen as part of mail forwarding.

Though normalization, and casefolding where appropriate, is strongly 
recommended for all identifiers, this document does not make any 
additional requirement that UTF-8 be normalized, which may be done 
outside of mail forwarding process.

I don't know whether this sounds stronger but I want to make sure that 
normalization is not within the scope of email forwarding process.