Subject: [Ecrit] Comments on draft-ietf-ecrit-requirements-00.txt: definitions section

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:44:16 -0400

This is the first of a series of comments organized by section.  It 
covers section 2, Terminology.

1. Term "address"

This has already been discussed.  I think the agreements include 
deletion of the definition of the term "address".  I certainly support 
that, since the definition really reads like that of "civic location".

2. Definition of "emergency address"

First, if the word "address" must appear, I'd suggest this be designated 
"Emergency signalling address".  Secondly, the definition is far too 
protocol-specific.  I'd suggest it be reworded:

"A URI usable within a signalling protocol to route an emergency call to 
a PSAP."

3. Missing: term "emergency call"

This raises another point: we need a definition of "emergency call".  I 
propose the following:

"emergency call: within this document, a generalized term describing a 
communication session between an emergency caller and a PSAP.  The term 
makes no assumptions on the media supported by the call or the 
signalling protocol used to initiate and maintain it."

4. Minor tweak: "enhanced emergency service"

Instead of "identify" on the second line, could we use "provide"?  Also, 
does that have to be "and/or" or could it simply be "and"?  Tweaked 
definition would then read:

"Enhanced emergency services add the ability to provide the caller 
identity and caller location to basic emergency services.  (Sometimes, 
only the caller location may be known ... )"

5. Definition of "location"

I would suggest that only the first senetence is necessary.  The 
remainder, starting with "In the geocoding process, ...", should be 
moved up and tacked on to the definition of "geographic location".

6. Definition of "location validation"

Typos: "systems" should be "system", line 3
        "reference able" should be "referencable" in line 5.

Substantive: replace "caller's location" at the end of the second 
sentence with "a location provided by or for a caller within an 
emergency call".

7. Term "minimum connectivity"

I would expect this term to be deleted based on discussion of R5.

Tom Taylor

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit