Subject: [Ecrit] 911 and location story

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:53:26 -0400

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/23/nyregion/23stab.html

Only vaguely relevant to our discussions, but an indication of some of 
the issues in handling 911 calls today.

"Mr. Eason said the caller provided an incorrect address about a block 
away from the three-story apartment building where the killings took 
place. When the officers who were dispatched to the wrong location 
called Mr. Andrews' cellphone number to verify the address, no one 
answered, he said."

"When the second call came in on Tuesday night, Mr. Eason said, a 
dispatcher transferred the call to a district precinct, but the caller 
hung up before the transfer was completed. Because Mr. Andrews used a 
cellphone to alert authorities, the police were not able to pinpoint his 
location, Mr. Eason said. The 911 calls were first reported in The 
Jersey Journal on Thursday."

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:46:03 EDT

Another vaguely related, more on the positive side. Everyday there are such  
stories somewhere across those areas of the world with enhanced emergency  
services access.

_http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/5008448/detail.html_ 
(http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/5008448/detail.html)  
FREDERICK, Md. -- Michael  Cosgrove considers himself "saved by the cell" 
thanks to a new system that  allows all primary 911 centers in Maryland to locate 
wireless emergency calls.   
Cosgrove said he was  leaving Ocean City last month when an allergic reaction 
to a bee's nest left him  helpless. He could not drive and had just enough 
energy to dial 911 on his cell  phone before passing out.  
Cosgrove, who is  executive vice president of a Maryland marketing 
communications company, was in Frederick Thursday to proclaim that the new system works. 
"I'm  a beneficiary," he said.  
Maryland is the eighth state in the country to announce that  all 23 
counties, Baltimore and Ocean City, can receive Phase II wireless  calls. 
Phase II enhancement  allows 911 operators to locate a caller and display 
their phone number and  location on a computer within seconds - provided the cell 
phone and its service  provider is properly equipped.  
"This saves lives.  Callers have died because we have been unable to find 
them," said Gov. Robert  Ehrlich, who christened the statewide service Thursday. 
"Regardless of where you  are you will be found."
 
In a message dated 9/23/2005 7:55:07 A.M. Central Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes: