Subject: RE: [Ecrit] terminology

From: "Stark, Barbara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:16:01 -0500

I'm not really particular about which terminology is used (so long as
everybody agrees what it means), but since there's some discussion, I
thought it might be useful to point out how some of this terminology is
defined and used in the DSL world.

The following document defines (in sections 3.1 and 3.2) lots of
provider and network terminology, from the perspective of DSL providers:
http://www.dslforum.org/aboutdsl/Technical_Reports/TR-059.pdf

Terms that may be of interest are: Access Network, Regional Network,
Regional/Access Network, NSP (Network SP, can be ISP or Corporate SP --
note that some enterprises choose to purchase DSL service for remote
sites/employees, and the enterprise has a direct Layer 2 connection to
the Regional/Access Network, so the site/employee doesn't go over the
Internet), ASP, loop provider, access network provider, and regional
provider.

In the pictures, the ASP is shown as connected directly to the
Regional/Access Network. This doesn't have to be the case, and is just
that way in this doc, since that was the only case of interest to the
Regional/Access Network Providers who wrote it. The ASP could be
connected to the ISP (NSP).

Also note that in this doc, the role of the ISP (or NSP) is not the role
of an access provider, although a single company could be taking on both
roles. I would recommend considering these "providers" as distinct
roles, and not as companies.

Anyway, if you find this useful, please feel free to use what you like.
If not, feel free to ignore. Naturally, I recognize that non-DSL
providers may not want to use terminology from this doc.
Barbara

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Winterbottom, James
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:47 PM
To: Andrew Newton; Tschofenig, Hannes
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ecrit] terminology

Andy,

As I pointed out before I think that the definitions of IAP, ISP and ASP
in your document are misleading. In deployments today an ISP is someone
that gives you an IP address and may or may not provide additional
services, they often do not provide you connectivity from your house to
them, and this is not addressed in your document. The difference between
your ASP and ISP definitions is not clear.

So I think that I agree with Hannes that these definitions and that
perhaps some thrashing out on the list might be appropriate to arrive at
a common set of definitions, rather than opposing ones.

Cheers
James 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of
> Andrew Newton
> Sent: Wednesday, 14 September 2005 9:28 AM
> To: Tschofenig, Hannes
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Ecrit] terminology
> 
> 
> On Sep 13, 2005, at 10:26 AM, Tschofenig, Hannes wrote:
> 
> > hi all,
> >
> > i have a question regarding the terminology used in:
> > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-newton-ecrit-arch-
> > conside
> > rations-00.txt
> >
> > the requirements document defines a number of terms. they do not
> > seem to
> > be sufficient, as it seems. i think it would be useful to fix or to
> > enhance the terms in the requirements document as soon as possible.
> 
> Hannes,
> 
> What was your question?
> 
> -andy
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ecrit mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------
[mf2]

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 163

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit