Subject: [Ecrit] New ID for downloading URIs via DHCP

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:32:04 -0500

ECRIT WG

To let folks know

One reference that is in the new Emergency Architecture Considerations ID 
regarding URIs being able to be downloaded (or requested for, then 
downloaded) to a DHC client is in the following ID just announced (which 
was delayed in its announcement for some reason I am not aware of):

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-dhc-uri-00.txt

with this abstract

    This document defines a new Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
    (DHC) Option to allow one or more URIs to be transmitted from a
    server to a client within one or more messages, and for one or more
    URIs, each with a unique purpose, to be specifically requested by a
    client of a server.  Included in this Option is a purpose field to
    identify the type of URI being requested by the client, or the type
    of URI in the DHCP message from the server.

There are 11 URIs currectly defined in this ID:

    Purpose = 1  (Primary PSAP URI)
    Purpose = 2  (Secondary PSAP URI)
    Purpose = 3  (Location By-Reference of Client)
    Purpose = 4  (ESGW URI of Client)
    Purpose = 5  (ESRP URI of Client)
    Purpose = 6  (Organization Providing Location for Client)
    Purpose = 7  (URI of Geocoding/Reverse Geocoding)
    Purpose = 8  (Primary URI of Geo Mapping Service)
    Purpose = 9  (Secondary URI of Geo Mapping Service)
    Purpose = 10 (Primary URI of Civic Mapping Service)
    Purpose = 11 (Secondary URI of Civic Mapping Service)

Others can be added based on consensus discussion of this document

I just spoke with the DHC Chair, and open discussion of this ID on the 
ECRIT list is fine with him.  The formal syntax and encoding of the option 
proposal will be discussed on the DHC list for those interested there, but 
the general topic doesn't need to be limiting any of us discussing the ID 
there where they don't care about emergency calling, as ECRIT is the 
primary WG of interest for this effort initially.

Review and comments are appreciated

cheers,
James

                                 *******************
                 Truth is not to be argued... it is to be presented.

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit