Subject: [Ecrit] Proposed Requirement

From: "Marc Linsner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:17:24 -0400

A proposed new requirement for the 'almost finished' req. draft.....

Requirement: The ecrit mechanism will only deal with location data in value
form, any location by-reference or location-key MUST be resolved to a
location by-value prior to query submission to the mapping database.

Motivation: It cannot be expected that the entities considered to be 'the
mapping database' (accepting the queries and returning a resolution) of the
location mapping-to-uri function be part of any trust or authentication
mechanism that may be required to resolve location
by-reference/location-key.

This requirement spurs the need to define location by-reference,
location-key and location by-value in section 2 - Terminology.  Hence....

Location by-reference: A URI that when accessed by an authorized entity will
yield the location of the end-point to which the reference is associated.

Location-Key: A mechanism used to provide a reference to a location.  This
may be a URI, a URL or some other kind of identifier.

Location by-value: The location data in it's native form (see location).

Fire-away,

-Marc-

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:06:16 -0400

I like it.