Subject: [Ecrit] calling area object sizes - Austria

From: Michael Haberler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:41:13 +0100

since I've told Hannes that I'd been playing around with PostGis and 
Austrian calling area objetcs, he asked me to do a check as to what 
sizes these are - to get a ballpark figure.

Note these are calling areas, not service areas of emergency 
operators, but the order of the problem should be similiar. I will 
try to obtain more relevant shapefiles for communities and police 
service areas and repeat the stats on these.

Austria has:
- 1022 calling areas
- about 2400 communities (smallest granularity of service area - fire brigade)
- about 42 police service areas (largest granularity)

these figures are only on the calling areas.

avergae number of points: 271, ranging from 24..1941 points
average GML object size: 9314 bytes, ranging from 938..65710 bytes
average area covered: 98 km2, ranging from 8.5 to 618 km2
average number of points per km2: 3.3, ranging from 0.3..15

without having the real data yet, I'd say this isnt terribly 
significant yet, but I'd guess the objects for firebrigade service 
areas to be on the small end of these ranges, while the police 
calling areas could well be double the size on the high end.

-Michael
http://mah.priv.at/gis/43-callingarea-postgis.html

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit