Subject: [Ecrit] Words around text communication in draft-ietf-ecrit-requirements-05.txt

From: "Gunnar Hellstrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:39:38 +0100

This is a good document.

I have a couple of minor comments on the language around the usage of the
text medium in emergency services.

The draft uses the term "text messaging" as a common term for real-time text
and instant messaging.
I suggest to use "text communication" or plainly "text" when we mean both
forms of using text.

In emergency services it has shown to be extremely important to use
real-time conversational communication forms whenever possible. Messaging is
important but so easily causes delays, misunderstanding, confusion and
stress that disturbs the emergency support.
The possibility to see what the other person is typing while it is typed and
be able to interrupt or give brief comments underway is essential for
efficient handling of emergency communication. Real-time text gives that
opportunity.

The opportunity to use the communication medium you are used to from
everyday life is another essential requirement. Both real-time text and text
messaging are used in everyday life. Therefore it seems reasonable to
describe use of both real-time text and text messaging.

Therefore, I have a couple of suggestions for modifications:

A-In 1. Introduction+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<OLD TEXT>-------------------------------
   Users of both voice-centric (telephone-like) and non voice type
   services (e.g. text messaging for hearing disabled users, (RFC 3351

<NEW TEXT, change "messaging" to "communication">
   Users of both voice-centric (telephone-like) and non voice type
   services (e.g. text communication for hearing disabled users, (RFC 3351
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

B.--- In 4. High level requirements ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<OLD TEXT>------------------------------
Re4.  Multiple Modes: Multiple communication modes, such as audio,
      video and text messaging MUST be supported (i.e. implemented in
      the protocol, though not necessarily used).

<NEW TEXT. Two changes:-word "messaging" deleted after "text", and "in all
calls" inserted last.->

Re4.  Multiple Modes: Multiple communication modes, such as audio,
      video and text MUST be supported (i.e. implemented in
      the protocol, though not necessarily used in all calls).
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you read the whole surrounding text you will see that it merges well and
gives a proper description for both types of text communication.

Thanks
Gunnar

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
Gunnar Hellstrom, Omnitor
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
Mob: +46 708 204 288
Phone: +46 8 556 002 03
www.omnitor.se <http://www.omnitor.se>

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 9:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ecrit-requirements-05.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Emergency Context Resolution with Internet
Technologies Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Requirements for Emergency Context  Resolution with Internet
Technologies
	Author(s)	: H. Schulzrinne, R. Marshall
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ecrit-requirements-05.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 2006-3-2

This document enumerates requirements for emergency calls placed by
the public using voice-over-IP (VoIP) and general Internet multimedia
systems, where Internet protocols are used end-to-end.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ecrit-requirements-05.txt

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit