Subject: RE: [Ecrit] draft-rosen-sos-phonebcp

From: "Winterbottom, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 23:35:44 -0600

Hi Guys,

Not a bad effort at all, good job.

A few things:
I am not sure where this should be put, but I do think that it is
relevant. In the western world call volumes made from mobiles are fast
approach and in many places exceeding the call volumes made from
wireline devices. For emergency calls the volumes are generally even,
that is 50% of emergency calls are placed from mobile devices.

The number of geodetic shape types that can be used to provide providing
data, and subsequently displayed back at a PSAP are currently very
limited. 

Section 2.
It would be good to point out that the steps list are for an IP based
call. These steps are not strictly true for conventional calling
devices.

 In section 4.
I would be interested to understand where the 100ms and 500ms numbers
came from. If this based on standards or empirical work it would be good
to quote the source. 
Same section I think that it would be very beneficial to add that a
coarse location may be quite satisfactory for routing, and that a more
precise location can be acquired for display and dispatch.
Also in general the more precise the location, the longer it takes to
generate and acquire.

In section 6
First line grammar.. is expected To be

In Section 6.1
  I can't let this one slip sorry. If the device is mobile a
by-reference mechanism will more than likely be faster than a by-value
mechanism, and if any network assistance data is required it will always
be faster as the device will not need to proxy requests. I recommend a
change to this wording to something along the lines of "Where location
is known, or can be determined quickly to a suitable level of precision
then by-value...". As calling rates for mobile devices continue to climb
by-value will become harder to provide ahead of time.

Cheers
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit