Subject: [Ecrit] New ID on ECRIT Mapping using SIP

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 19:02:35 -0600

ECRIT WG

I have written a new ID on how, as shown in the Mapping Events ID, a SIP UA 
can request that a ECRIT (LoST?) mapping take place based on the location 
information provided in the SIP REGISTER message when the device boots.

This is assuming the UA learns its location (a rather fundamental 
assumption here).  The UA then generates a PIDF-LO and includes that in a 
REGISTER Request message to the SIP Registrar.  Upon receiving this 
message, the Registrar can perform a Mapping function using this WG's 
protocol to a mapping server, and return this PSAP-URI in the 200 OK to the 
REGISTER message to the registering UA.

This provides a UA with a fallback PSAP URI that *can* be used *if* the 
ESRP fails in its mapping attempt.  The Mapping Events ID has this message 
flow shown.

This document leaves open the possibility to be expanded to include how a 
UA can, after boot time, re-lease/refresh the PSAP-URI through 
registration, and how the UA can use HTTP to openly query a Mapping aware 
server at any time to have the freshest PSAP-URI prior to the actual 
emergency call.

SIP Registration refresh cycles are regularly on a 60 minute cycle, 
sometimes shorter, so the URI would be fairly fresh with this mechanism.

This ID is invoking the use of the ECRIT mapping protocol, and is *not* 
competing with it.

Here is the ID:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-ecrit-mapping-during-registration-00.txt

Comments are welcome

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit