Subject: [Ecrit] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Emergency Context Resolution with Internet Technologies Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Best Current Practice for Communications Services in support of Emergency Calling
	Author(s)	: B. Rosen, J. Polk
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2006-10-18

   Requesting help in an emergency using a communications device such as
   a telephone or mobile is an accepted practice in most of the world.
   As communications devices increasingly utilize the Internet to
   interconnect and communicate, users will continue to expect to use
   such devices to request help, regardless of whether or not they
   communicate using IP.  The emergency response community will have to
   upgrade their facilities to support the wider range of communications
   services, but cannot be expected to handle wide variation in device
   and service capability.  The IETF has several efforts targeted at
   standardizing various aspects of placing emergency calls.  This memo
   describes best current practice on how devices and services should
   use such standards to reliably make emergency calls

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Gunnar Hellstrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:14:42 +0200

The ecrit-phonebcp-00 is missing some important specifics about supported
media that was included in its predecessor draft-rosen-sos-phonebcp-01.txt

The earlier specification draft-rosen-sos-phonebcp-01.txt says in the
introduction:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
   While current PSAPs are limited to voice sessions, often
   with the additional capability to serve hearing impaired users with
   text based "TTY" devices, envisioned upgrades to PSAPs will allow
   sessions with audio, video, and several kinds of text including
   interactive text [RFC4103] and Instant Messages. and [I-D.ietf-
   sipping-toip]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
This paragraph does not exist in the new draft, leaving the reader without
any clear guidance to implement a terminal that is media compatible with the
emergency service.
The clarity provided by the previous version can be a very important
stabilizing factor, that will result in good high probability for successful
emergency calls with other media than audio.

I suggest that text providing the same clarity is put back into the
specification. But we can take the opportunity to refine the text a bit.
The details were only provided in the introduction. I suggest that only a
brief statement is placed in the introduction, and the details in section 3:
"Which devices and services should support emergency calls".

Proposed text:

Add a paragraph after the first paragraph of section 2. Introduction:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
   While current PSAPs are limited to voice sessions, sometimes
   with the additional capability to serve hearing impaired users
   with textphone devices, envisioned PSAPs will allow sessions
   with at least audio, video, real-time text and text messaging.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Add a paragraph to section 3. "Which devices and services should support
emergency calls"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
   The current best practices for media and codec support should be applied.
   Such practices are described in RFC 4504 [RFC 4504], with common codecs
   for audio and video, RFC 4103 [RFC 4103] for real-time text and further
   detailed in [sipping-toip]. Support for Instant Messages according to
   the SIMPLE MSRP [msrp] protocols is also envisioned.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the references, [msrp] should then be introduced.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[msrp]	Relay Extensions for the Message Sessions Relay Protocol (MSRP)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,
Gunnar
---------------------
Gunnar Hellstrom
Omnitor
[email-masked]
+46708204288
www.omnitor.se

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Fran: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Skickat: den 18 oktober 2006 21:50
Till: [email-masked]
Kopia: [email-masked]
Amne: [Ecrit] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Emergency Context Resolution with Internet
Technologies Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Best Current Practice for Communications Services in support of
Emergency Calling
	Author(s)	: B. Rosen, J. Polk
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2006-10-18

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:15:51 -0400

Gunnar

I moved the text to -framework.
-framework has the "why", -phonebcp has the "what".  So, the normative text
is in -phonebcp, and the informative text is in -framework.

It's draft-ietf-ecrit-framework-00 and if it's not announced yet, you can
pick up a copy at:
http://www.brianrosen.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ecrit-framework-00.txt

Take a look and see if you want some of your edits applied to -framework,
rather than -phonebcp.  Normative text for phones or proxies goes in
-phonebcp, and would use 2117 language.

Brian
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gunnar Hellstrom [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 6:15 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Ecrit] Missing media specificatios indraft-ietf-ecrit-
> phonebcp-00.txt
> 
> --
> --
> --
> --
> -
> 	Title		: Best Current Practice for Communications Services
in
> support of