Subject: [Ecrit] phonebcp-04 comments

From: "Stark, Barbara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:13:52 -0400

Here are my phonebcp-04 comments. I don't have any major comments.

Slightly substantive comments and Questions
-------------------------------------------
1. AN-10 Access networks with range of <10 meters MUST provide a
   location to mobile devices connected to it.  The location provided
   SHOULD be that of the access point location unless a more accurate
   mechanism is provided.
Is this referring to a PAN wireless technology (like Bluetooth)? I had
trouble envisioning the type of access network it was referring to.
Maybe an e.g. would be useful?

2. ED-25/INT-18 Endpoints SHOULD obtain location immediately after
   obtaining local network configuration information. When HELD is the
   LCP the client MUST support a random back-off period (between 30
   seconds and 300 seconds) for re-trying the HELD query, when no
   response is received
Recommend adding the following phrase at the end of the last sentence ",
and no other LCP provided location information." HELD doesn't need to be
retried if another LCP was successful.

3. ED-37/AN-20
Recommend the following change:
"For other location-by-reference schemes, the PSAP will have to
repeatedly dereference the URI to determine if the device moved."
becomes
"For other location-by-reference schemes that do not support
subscription, the PSAP will have to repeatedly dereference the URI to
determine if the device moved."
It is conceivable that another subscription-based L-by-R scheme might be
invented, sometime in the future.

4. ED-41/SP-20 
Recommend slight rewording, because it's currently recommended that all
locations be validated with LoST.
"The "used-for-routing" parameter MUST be set to the location that was
used to query LoST"
"The "used-for-routing" parameter MUST be set to the location that was
chosen for routing."

5. Section 7
Recommend an additional requirement that states something like:
"AN-xx  Access Networks that use HELD and that have a DHCP server SHOULD
(MAY?) support DHCP options for providing LIS and LoST servers."

6. ED-62 5.
"A Route header SHOULD be present with a PSAP URI obtained from LoST
(see Section 8) and the loose route parameter."
The loose route parameter part of this really confused me. Is this
saying that the loose route parameter should be present in the Route
header? If so, is it suggesting there is a requirement on the End Device
to validate for the presence of lr, and insert it if it isn't there? Or
is it expected that URIs sent by LoST will simply include the lr
parameter? If the expectation is for the LoST server, then that needs to
go in the LoST doc, and not in and ED requirement. If the expectation is
for the LoST server, I recommend deleting " and the loose route
parameter", because the ED simply includes the URI exactly as provided
by LoST. If the expectation is that the ED ensure the presence of the lr
parameter, then this needs to be explicitly stated.

7. Section 10
I thought "uninitialized devices" had been gotten rid of. Framework-05
doesn't mention them in Section 10. If this term is going to be used, it
needs to be defined.

Minor comments
--------------
AN-6/INT-6 
"upstream" -> "downstream"

ED-17/INT-8/AN-7 and AN-9 
Is phrase "at all times" needed? Doesn't MUST imply that?

ED-53
Recommend changing the end:
"...MUST use the cached value if it has one." -> "MUST use the cached
value. If there is no cached value, it MUST signal an emergency call
without a Route header."

SP-32 2.
"a Route header with a PSAP URI, it MUST run LoST routing." -> "a Route
header, it MUST query a LoST server. If multiple locations were
provided, the proxy uses the location that has the "used-for-routing"
marker set." (SP doesn't check for a PSAP URI in the Route header -- it
checks for the existance of a Route header with something in it. Need to
handle the multiple location scenario.) 

ED-73
Recommend the following wording change, since, theoretically, any SIP
device can be used anywhere, which would make mu Law a MUST according to
the current wording.
"(and mu Law if they could be used in North America)" -> "(and mu Law if
they are intended to be used in North America)"

Editorial nits
--------------
Section 2, 1st paragraph
"devicesand" -> "devices and" (needs space)

Section 2, 2nd paragraph
"(see Section 6" -> "(see Section 6)" (needs close parenthesis)

Section 3, 1st pargraph
"URN[I-D.ietf-ecrit-service-urn]" -> "URN [I-D.ietf-ecrit-service-urn]"
(needs space)

Section 4, header
"emergency  calls" -> "emergency calls" (extra space)

SP-2
"dial string" -> "dial strings"

AN-10
"it" -> "them" ("Access networks" is plural)

ED-18/INT-9
"do" -> "attempt to"

ED-19/INT-10/SP-13 
"the the" -> "the"

ED-25/INT-18 
"information.When" -> "information. When"

ED-28/INT-21 
Delete 2nd instance of "VPNs"

ED-44/AN-24 
Reference that belongs after "...SHOULD use" somehow got moved to the
end of the paragraph.

ED-49
"by service provider" -> "by a service provider"

ED-60/AN-25 
"minimise" -> "minimize"

ED-61/AN-26 
"retrieveal" -> "retrieval"

ED-62
"interpert" -> "interpret"

ED-62 2.
"cannot do interpret" -> "cannot interpret"

ED-62 5.
"interpet" -> "interpret", "serverr" -> "server"

ED-62 14.
"headers ." -> "headers."

SP-32 1.
"does interprets" -> either "does interpret" or "interprets"

Section 10
"unitialized" -> "uninitialized" (both instances, if this word is to be
used)

ED-67/SP-37 
"proxys" -> "proxies"

ED-68/SP-38 
"dialstrings" -> "dial strings"

ED-75
"IM" -> "Instant Messaging (IM)"

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA625

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit