Subject: [Ecrit] Phone BCP: Indication of Numbers

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:55:01 +0300

In a couple of cases you mention specific numbers. I would like to
understand where these numbers come from. Can we motivate them by
indicating that "we" think that these are useful numbers and
whether these are numbers someone else came up with; a ref
would be appropriate in that case.

Examples:

"
   AN-5/INT-5 Access networks and intermediate devices providing wire
   database location information SHOULD provide interior location data
   (building, floor, room, cubicle) where possible.  It is RECOMMENDED
   that interior location be provided when spaces exceed approximately
   650 square meters.
"

---> 650 square meters

"
   ED-16/INT-7 Devices MAY support end-system measured location.
   Uncertainty of less than 100 m with 95% confidence SHOULD be
   available for dispatch.
"

---> 100 m with 95%

"
   AN-8 Access networks MAY provide network-measured location
   determination.  Wireless access network which do not support network
   measured location MUST require that all devices connected to the
   network have end-system measured location.  Uncertainty of less than
   100 m with 95% confidence SHOULD be available for dispatch.
"

"  AN-10 Access networks with range of <10 meters MUST provide a
   location to mobile devices connected to it.  The location provided
   SHOULD be that of the access point location unless a more accurate
   mechanism is provided.
"

Should we really define these requirements? Sounds more like a job of a 
regulator.

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:14:05 -0400

Look in -framework in the same section.

It should tell you where the numbers come from.

It does explain 650 m2
It doesn't sufficiently explain 100m w/ 95% confidence (it's the current
U.S. standard).

I believe guidance is essential.  I think it is appropriate to provide
guidance.  They are all "SHOULDs" because regulation may define them.  In
most cases, they don't, and there is no effective guidance.  We're in the
best position to offer it for now.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Hannes Tschofenig
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ecrit] Phone BCP: Indication of Numbers

Examples:

"

---> 650 square meters

"

---> 100 m with 95%

"

---

From: "Clive D.W. Feather" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:03:33 +0100

>    that interior location be provided when spaces exceed approximately

Please note, here and elsewhere, that the word is spelled "metre". It is a
technical term defined by an international convention (the "Metre
Convention") signed up to by 51 nations, *including the USA*, and ISO 31.

See <http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/si_brochure_8_en.pdf>.

-- 
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <[email-masked]>   | Tel:    +44 20 8495 6138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <[email-masked]>  | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Mobile: +44 7973 377646
THUS plc            |                            |
_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:08:23 -0400

The appropriate solution is to use 'm', as it avoids the problem.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system#Spelling_variations

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:13:36 -0400

I'm happy with that, but do I say (in ASCII) m2?  For square meters (or
metres)?

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Henning Schulzrinne
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 9:08 AM
To: Clive D.W. Feather
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Phone BCP: Indication of Numbers

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:53:35 -0400

I guess m^2 is common.