Subject: [Ecrit] ECRIT Framework: Dial Strings

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:06:29 +0300

You write:
"
Therefore, the visited dial string must
   work while having the home dial string work is optional.
"

I don't understand this reasoning on why the home dial string is optional.
 From an implementation point of view you have to implement the home 
emergency dial strings since in most cases devices will be used "at home".
Why isn't the ability to understand the home dial string mandatory?

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:34:32 -0400

No current systems recognize the home dial string unless they happen to be
the same, or there is some fixed strings always recognized.  There are legal
requirements for the local one, and there are none for the home one.

Unless you have some good reason, I think there is no requirement to support
the home dial string.  I'm not even sure it's a good idea. 

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Hannes Tschofenig
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ecrit] ECRIT Framework: Dial Strings

You write:
"

---

From: "Stark, Barbara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:29:16 -0400

I'm not aware of any country that requires that companies operating in
foreign countries recognize "local" dial strings, when their customers
are traveling into the "local" country.

Likewise, I'm not aware of any country that has emergency dialing
legislation regarding devices that visitors bring into the country or
that residents bring in from foreign countries.

I think the "legal requirements" argument is empty. But I don't see that
requiring end devices to request local dial strings is a bad thing. 

I also think that there's a strong likelihood that "home" governments
will require "home" service providers and "home" devices to support
"home" dial strings, no matter where the device may go. Since the BCP
doesn't preclude this, and sufficiently describes how this can be done,
I'm ok with the phonebcp language.

So, I'm fine with the requirements as they are. But I still think that
this "legal" argument is backwards and incorrect.
Barbara

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Brian Rosen
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 2:35 PM
To: 'Hannes Tschofenig'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] ECRIT Framework: Dial Strings

No current systems recognize the home dial string unless they happen to
be
the same, or there is some fixed strings always recognized.  There are
legal
requirements for the local one, and there are none for the home one.

Unless you have some good reason, I think there is no requirement to
support
the home dial string.  I'm not even sure it's a good idea. 

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of
Hannes Tschofenig
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ecrit] ECRIT Framework: Dial Strings

You write:
"

I don't understand this reasoning on why the home dial string is
optional.
 From an implementation point of view you have to implement the home 
emergency dial strings since in most cases devices will be used "at
home".
Why isn't the ability to understand the home dial string mandatory?