Subject: [Ecrit] Phone BCP: LCP interaction

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:55:10 +0300

You write:

"
   ED-22/INT-15 Endpoints SHOULD try all LCPs supported by the device in
   any order or in parallel.  The first one that succeeds in supplying
   location can be used.
"

Didn't Barbara provide more details on how this procedure should work?

"
   ED-25/INT-18 Endpoints SHOULD obtain location immediately after
   obtaining local network configuration information.When HELD is the
   LCP the client MUST support a random back-off period (between 30
   seconds and 300 seconds) for re-trying the HELD query, when no
   response is received.
"

Are these numbers based on some testing or just an idea?

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:16:25 -0400

I'll look back in the archives for any suggested text or specifics Barbara
offered on this.

The 30/300 is out of my head.  It's long enough to be effective in spreading
load, and short enough to not cause serious issues if a user needs to make a
call shortly after booting.  I could offer that explanation in -framework if
you think it's appropriate.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Hannes Tschofenig
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ecrit] Phone BCP: LCP interaction

You write:

"

"

---

From: "Karl Heinz Wolf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:26:29 +0200

>  Didn't Barbara provide more details on how this procedure should work?

probably in the DSL Forum documents?

see http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ecrit/current/msg04309.html

A sequence flow is in the appendix of
http://www.dial911anddie.com/DSLForum/WT-164v2.pdf

karl heinz

---

From: "Stark, Barbara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:47:12 -0400

I just sent Jon and Cullen a new liaison with the latest version of the
DSLF doc. Yes, that doc does provide a lot more detail on how this might
work. In discussions with Brian, though, I though we were going to leave
that level of detail in the DSLF doc, and not try to put it in the BCP.
But I'm certainly open to having it in the BCP.

The DSLF doc also has guidance on selecting from among multiple
locations.
Barbara 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Karl Heinz Wolf
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 8:26 AM
To: Hannes Tschofenig
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Phone BCP: LCP interaction

karl heinz

---

From: "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:51:34 +0200

Why did you conclude that this should not go into the document? 
Because it is largely implementation dependent? 

Ciao
Hannes

PS: Could you send the liaison document to the ECRIT list? 

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:47:12 -0400
> Von: "Stark, Barbara" <[email-masked]>
> An: "Karl Heinz Wolf" <[email-masked]>, "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked]
> Betreff: RE: [Ecrit] Phone BCP: LCP interaction