Subject: [Ecrit] Comments on draft-ietf-ecrit-location-hiding-req-00

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 21:00:22 -0400

Summary: No huge issues with this document, just a few points below.  I
have highlighted changes to the requirements with [TECHNICAL-REQ].

------------------------------------------------------
Document: draft-ietf-ecrit-location-hiding-req-00
Reviewer: Richard Barnes, BBN
Date: 1 Aug 2008
------------------------------------------------------

[TECHNICAL-REQ]
Req-A: Shouldn't this be a "MUST"?  Otherwise, what are we doing with
this document?

[TECHNICAL-REQ]
Req-D: Ultimately, the PSAP needs location by value.  It can receive
this from the endpoint/VSP by reference, but it needs the value in the
end.  Suggested text:
"
The PSAP MUST be provided precise location information (by value) for
emergency callers.  The endpoint and/or VSP may provide this information
either by value or by reference.
"

[TECHNICAL-REQ]
Req-1: This requirement runs counter to Req-A.  If the ISP is only going
to provide location to entities that it has a business relationship
with, and the call needs location to be routed, then *some* VSP will
need to have a business relationship with the ISP.  I think what this is
really going after is that there shouldn't need to be a trust
relationship between the VSP the caller uses and the ISP the caller uses
  Suggested text:
"
Req-1: The proposed solution MUST NOT assume a business or trust
relationship between the caller's VSP and the caller's ISP.
"

[TECHNICAL-REQ]
Req-9: The first sentence of this requirement is really unclear, but I
think the last sentence capture what it's about.  Suggest reordering:
"
Req-9: Though the solution MAY add steps to the emergency call routing
process described in [framework], these steps MUST NOT significantly
increase call setup latency.  For example, the revised process MUST NOT
include "trial-and-error" operations on its critical path, such as
attempts at LbyR resolutions that may take time to time out.
"

[TECHNICAL-MINOR]
1.1 Emergency Services Architecture
In the sentence, "... location information is provided by access
networks to end points ...", I would replace "to end points" with "to
end points or VoIP service providers"

[TECHNICAL-MINOR]
1.2 Location Hiding
It's worth noting that location needn't always be provided by the access
network; it could be outsourced or provided by a third party (e.g., the
Google cell-id DB).  Also, the use of the word "afraid" seems
unnecessarily anthropomorphic.  Suggested text to replace the current
section:
"
In some cases, location providers (e.g., Internet Access Providers
(IAPs) and/or the Internet Service Providers (ISPs)) are unwilling to
provide precise location information to endpoints or VSPs, as is called
for in the above model.  The decision to deny location can be driven by
a number of technical and business concerns.  Some providers may
perceive a risk that allowing users to access location information for
non-emergency purposes or prior to an emergency call will incur
additional server load and thus costs.  Other providers may not want to
make location information available without the ability to charge for it.
"

[TECHNICAL-MINOR]
1.3.  Location by Reference
In the fourth paragraph, it should be specified that the requirement
being met here is for delivery to the PSAP, not LoST routing or VSP
validation.

[EDITORIAL]
1.1 Emergency Services Architecture
Might be helpful here just to summarize that location is used in three
ways in the emergency calling framework:
1. Emergency call routing via LoST
2. VSP verification that emergency calls are valid
3. PSAP usages, e.g., dispatch
Support for these three functions in a location hiding scenario is
required in Req-B, Req-C, and Req-D, respectively.

[EDITORIAL]
1.1 Emergency Services Architecture
The phrase "[LoST] allows to determine..." is missing a direct object.
Should be something like "[LoST] allows callers and other call-routing
entities to determine...".

[EDITORIAL]
Throughout: s/personell/personnel/

[EDITORIAL]
1.3.  Location by Reference
Should the last sentence/paragraph be deleted?  I don't see what it adds.

[EDITORIAL]
3. Requirements
Delete the one sentence in this section.

_______________________________________________
Ecrit mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit