Subject: [Ecrit] FCC to Hold a Colloqium on Public Safety and Homeland Security Portion of the National Broadband Plan (fwd)

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:16:55 -0800

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:                                         NEWS MEDIA
CONTACT

 March 8, 2010
Robert Kenny:  (202) 418-2668

Email: [email-masked] 

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION TO HOLD A COLLOQUIUM ON PUBLIC SAFETY AND
HOMELAND SECURITY PORTION OF THE

NATIONAL BROADBAND PLAN

Washington, D.C. - The Federal Communications Commission's (FCC's) Public
Safety and Homeland Security Bureau (Bureau) today announced it will hold a
colloquium on Friday, March 26, 2010 from 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. to discuss
the public safety and homeland security portion of the National Broadband
Plan (Plan) that will have since been submitted to Congress on March 17,
2010.  The event will be held in the Commission Meeting Room (TW-C305).   

As part of the colloquium, representatives from the Public Safety and
Homeland Security Bureau will make presentations discussing how the Plan
addresses the following issues:

.         Deployment of a nationwide interoperable public safety wireless
broadband network;

.         Innovation in the development and deployment of Next Generation
911 networks and emergency alerting systems; and

.         Cyber security and critical infrastructure survivability. 

The goal of the Public Safety and Homeland Security portion of the Plan is
to enable and enhance the use of broadband technologies by first responders
in sending and receiving content-rich data, resulting in saved lives;
diminished injuries; improved emergency care and response; and more
effective prevention of acts of crime, terror and hatred.  Such technologies
will also guard critical infrastructure, and enable interoperable response
to emergencies in coordination with other first responders located
throughout the nation.  Broadband technologies will ensure that all
Americans are able to reach and access 9-1-1 services quickly, reliably, and
that the public has the ability to send and receive critical information
regardless of the mode or device used. These technologies and innovations
will also advance the modes and methods by which the public receives
accurate, concise, and timely alerts and warnings.  The Public Safety and
Homeland Security portion of the Plan will also enhance the security and
resiliency of broadband infrastructure, including measures to prevent and
assist in the response to cyber attacks. 

The colloquium will be open to the public; admittance, however, will be
limited to the seating available. Those individuals who are interested in
attending this event may pre-register on-line at
<http://www.fcc.gov/pshs/event-registration.html>
http://www.fcc.gov/pshs/event-registration.html. Those who pre-register will
be asked to provide their name, title, organization affiliation, and contact
information.  Individuals may also contact Deandrea Wilson at
<mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] or via phone at
202-418-0703 regarding pre-registration.  The deadline for pre-registration
is Wednesday, March 24, 2010. 

Audio/Video coverage of the meeting will be broadcast live with open
captioning over the Internet from the FCC's web page at
<http://www.reboot.fcc.gov/> www.reboot.fcc.gov (go to "Events").  The FCC's
web cast is free to the public and does not require pre-registration.

Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities are available upon
request.  Please include a description of the accommodation you will need.
Individuals making such requests must include their contact information
should FCC staff need to contact them for more information.  Requests should
be made as early as possible.  Please send an e-mail to
<mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] or call the Consumer & Governmental
Affairs Bureau: 202-418-0530 (voice), 202-418-0432 (TTY).  

For additional information about the meeting, please contact Susan McLean at
(202) 418-7868 or by email:  <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked].

- FCC -