Subject: [Ecrit] "service URN classification" pointer.

From: "Alexander Mayrhofer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:13:15 +0100

Follow-up to my comment at the mic:

A lot of work within the OpenStreetMap community goes into proper
classification of map features, so that similar features are rendered in
similar ways on maps, and can be searched. Development of those "tag
spaces" typically happens on a wiki.

There are "well know" tags that are long established, and there is
typically heated discussion once someone proposes something new.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag

Some of the tags are, unfortunately regional - most complicated things
are typically types of restaurants ("winery/heurigen").

There is a conference on OpenStreetMap ("State of the Map") - i haven't
been there, but it might be helpful to discuss that problem.

Alex

---

From: "Alexander Mayrhofer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:19:21 +0100

[hate to reply to myself, but..]

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag

All about the development of the Tag spaces can be found here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Proposals_admin

Alex

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:00:48 -0400

I looked at this effort, and I admit that I'm not all that impressed. The collection seems rather haphazard and the "voting" process seems to require ten random people to vote yes, with no clear indication that they have a qualification beyond being able to post to a Wiki. Also, many of the items are geographic features, such as rivers, rather than services. I don't see how this is better than, say, the GEOPRIV WG or any other random collection of IETF members. I have no objection to incorporating the relevant service-oriented labels, but wholesale adoption seems problematic.

Henning

On Mar 22, 2010, at 2:19 PM, Alexander Mayrhofer wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ecrit mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit
>

---

From: "Alexander Mayrhofer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 01:11:26 +0100

> I looked at this effort, and I admit that I'm not all that 
> impressed. The collection seems rather haphazard and the 
> "voting" process seems to require ten random people to vote 
> yes, with no clear indication that they have a qualification 
> beyond being able to post to a Wiki. Also, many of the items 
> are geographic features, such as rivers, rather than 
> services. I don't see how this is better than, say, the 
> GEOPRIV WG or any other random collection of IETF members. I 
> have no objection to incorporating the relevant 
> service-oriented labels, but wholesale adoption seems problematic.

I didn't say it was better or worse than work in other groups or by
other means of organizations. It's definitely more "casual" than most
other classification processes, and hence might have much more entropy
than others.

It has, however, a massive community using that classification. (And
yes, there *are* edit wars on Openstreetmap).

I think that the general problem of classification is multi-dimensional
- i have thought about it for a bit long time ago, and didn't even come
up with a conclusion whether a hierarchical or tag-based (flat) model
was better..

Alex