Subject: [Ecrit] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ecrit-data-only-ea-18.txt> (Data-Only Emergency Calls) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 06:47:43 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Emergency Context Resolution with
Internet Technologies WG (ecrit) to consider the following document: -
'Data-Only Emergency Calls'
  <draft-ietf-ecrit-data-only-ea-18.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-09-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC 6443 'Framework for Emergency Calling Using Internet Multimedia'
   describes how devices use the Internet to place emergency calls and
   how Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs) handle Internet multimedia
   emergency calls natively.  The exchange of multimedia traffic for
   emergency services involves a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
   session establishment starting with a SIP INVITE that negotiates
   various parameters for that session.

   In some cases, however, the transmission of application data is all
   that is needed.  Examples of such environments include alerts issued
   by a temperature sensor, burglar alarm, or chemical spill sensor.
   Often these alerts are conveyed as one-shot data transmissions.
   These type of interactions are called 'data-only emergency calls'.
   This document describes a container for the data based on the Common
   Alerting Protocol (CAP) and its transmission using the SIP MESSAGE
   transaction.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-data-only-ea/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-data-only-ea/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.