Subject: [Ecrit] RFC 8876 on Non-interactive Emergency Calls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 10:32:49 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8876

        Title:      Non-interactive Emergency Calls 
        Author:     B. Rosen, 
                    H. Schulzrinne,
                    H. Tschofenig,
                    R. Gellens
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ecrit-data-only-ea-22.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8876

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8876

Use of the Internet for emergency calling is described in RFC 6443,
'Framework for Emergency Calling Using Internet Multimedia'.  In some
cases of emergency calls, the transmission of application data is all
that is needed, and no interactive media channel is established: a
situation referred to as 'non-interactive emergency calls', where,
unlike most emergency calls, there is no two-way interactive media
such as voice or video or text.  This document describes use of a SIP
MESSAGE transaction that includes a container for the data based on
the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP).  That type of emergency request
does not establish a session, distinguishing it from SIP INVITE,
which does.  Any device that needs to initiate a request for
emergency services without an interactive media channel would use the
mechanisms in this document.

This document is a product of the Emergency Context Resolution with Internet Technologies Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC