Subject: [Ecrit] Protocol Action: 'A LoST extension to return complete and similar location info' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ecrit-similar-location-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 10:07:45 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A LoST extension to return complete and similar location info'
  (draft-ietf-ecrit-similar-location-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Emergency Context Resolution with
Internet Technologies Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Francesca Palombini.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-similar-location/

Technical Summary

   This document introduces a new way to provide returned location
   information in LoST responses that is either of a completed or
   similar form to the original input civic location, based on whether
   valid or invalid civic address elements are returned within the
   <findServiceResponse> message.  This document defines a new extension
   to the <findServiceResponse> message within the LoST protocol
   (RFC5222) that enables the LoST protocol to return in a response a
   completed civic address element set for a valid location response,
   and one or more suggested sets of similar location information for an
   invalid location.  These two types of civic addresses are referred to
   as either "complete location" or "similar location", and are included
   as a compilation of CAtype XML elements within the existing LoST
   <findServiceResponse> message structure.

Working Group Summary

This document was reviewed by a large number of people during its development.  Toward the end it
received a number of comments from a small number of people, and their comments (mostly editorial) 
were carefully considered and resolved with good consensus.  Multiple WG participants also participate
in the SDOs intending to use this document and have made sure the document meets the needs of those
SDOs.

Document Quality

There are not presently implementations of the protocol, but the SDOs charged with location-based
emergency call routing have multiple vendors interested in implementation of this protocol.

A medium number of individuals have been actively engaged with the document.  A Working Group Last Call
was performed which did not reveal any new or outstanding issues other than a few editorial 
changes.  The working group co-chairs are satisfied that there is consensus.

No specialist reviews that aren't already triggered by the document process are warranted.

Personnel

Dwight Purtle is the Document Shepherd.  Murray Kucherawy is the Responsible Area Director.