Subject: Please answer the question....

From: kim In-ho <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 20:26:56 +0900

I am a student in korea.
reply address :
       [email-masked]

I want to know about the meaning of below words.

1) PGP/MIME
2) S/MIME
3) Non-repudiation of Receipt (NRR)
4) MIME envelope

and what is a difference between DES and RSA public key ?
I've already read description of internet drafts.
But I don't understand of listed words.

Please contact to me soon!!!!

---

From: Dan Kohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 09:58:51 -0800

>1) PGP/MIME

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/openpgp-charter.html

>2) S/MIME

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/smime-charter.html

>3) Non-repudiation of Receipt (NRR)

For a background on this and all issues on cryptography I'd highly
recommend Schneier's Applied Cryptography.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471117099/qid=910202080/sr=1-
1/002-0660065-8953847

>4) MIME envelope

Read RFCs 2045-2049, especially 2045.

http://www.normos.org/ietf/rfc/rfc2045.txt

>and what is a difference between DES and RSA public key ?

It's all in Applied Cryptography

>Please contact to me soon!!!!

Enjoy your reading.  There's a lot to do.

		- dan
--
Daniel Kohn <[email-masked]>
Teledesic LLC
+1-425-602-6222 (voice)   602-0002 (fax)
http://www.teledesic.com

---

From: [email-masked] (Christopher J. Kit Lueder)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 98 15:24:09 -0500

The best source of high-level overview of security is on RSA's website
http://www.rsa.com

In particular, they have a new version 4.0 of their Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) file:
http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/faq/html/sections.html
It is not yet available in downloadable form, but can be read on the web
page one section at a time.

The previous version 3.0 is still available in downloadable form:
http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/labsfaq.pdf

(I am not associated with RSA, so please don't ask me about them.)

>>and what is a difference between DES and RSA public key ?

Data Encryption Standard (DES) is old technology, using a secret key that
both the sender and the recipient share. The same key is used for
encryption and decryption. It does not support digital signatures.

RSA is a newer technology (but not all that new anymore--the RSA patent is
about to expire), where each person has a private key (not disclosed to
other people) and a public key (which is shared with others). With RSA, you
would encrypt the data with the recipient's public key, and the recipient
would decrypt with his private key. Or you would apply a signature by
encrypting the message digest (hash) using your private key and the
recipient would confirm the signature by decrypting it using your public
key.

    _/    _/             Kit C. J. Lueder       
   _/   _/         _/   The MITRE Corp.         Tel:  703-883-5205
  _/_/_/    _/  _/_/_/ 1820 Dolley Madison Bl  Page: 703-331-7656
 _/   _/   _/    _/   Mailstop W658           FAX:  703-883-3383
_/    _/  _/    _/   McLean, VA 22102        Mail: [email-masked]
God offers to every mind its choice between truth and repose
- -Emerson, Essays: Intellect