Subject: EDIINT and the EDI XML movement ...

From: Gunther Schadow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:56:30 -0500 (EST)

XML EDI may be relevant in the future. However, currently it seems to
be a moving target. As far as I know, neither X12 nor EDIFACT nor HL7
have been "converted" significant amounts of their users to XML, though
all those orgs are in the process of heading towards XML. However, at
a first glance, I do not think that there is any special action item
pending for making the EDIINT stuff work for XML presentations of EDI
messages. This only brings back the question whether there should be
a parameter to, e.g., APPLICATION/EDI-X12 that warns a recipient about
the details of the presentation syntax (e.g., whether the EDI message
is in traditional syntax or XML.) In the HL7 draft we have a parameter
called "SYNTAX" which allows you to do the following:

Content-type: application/edi-hl7; syntax="xml"

to indicate that the message will be in an XML syntax standardized for
HL7. The same method is conceivable for X12 and EDIFACT.

regards
-Gunther

Gunther Schadow ----------------------------------- http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu
Regenstrief Institute for Health Care
1001 W 10th Street RG5, Indianapolis IN 46202, Phone: (317) 630 7960
[email-masked] ---------------------- #include <usual/disclaimer>