Subject: AIAG and GISB standards

From: "Gary Morin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:08:33 -0500

Sorry if I stomp on in here but the Automobile Industry Action Group (AIAG) has
a guideline for doing EDI over HTTP which is about one year old and which we
refer to as E-5 (because the document number at AIAG is E-5 and the title is
long and nobody wants to type it out).  We did a lot of research before we
published it and looked at both the EDIINT drafts and GISB and patterned ours
after GISB.  You can find the standard and our current work on version two at
http://www.efive.com.

Our primary need is to support "very" high volume, real time EDI, to support JIT
factory processes in the automotive and steel industries and we have our own
semi-private, IPSec secured, extranet (ANX) to do this.  In order to support our
legacy applications some kind of "routing" information is needed in the MIME
header to tell the document where to go.  We also still support large number of
non-X12, non-EDIFACT proprietary transactions so we can't depend on the ISA and
GSA to provide the information for a lot of our transactions.

What you will see in version two is a move to a means of communicating between
the http client and server using xml as the language of choice.  We see xml then
growing in to replace most of this trading partner unique stuff with a single
language in subsequent versions.  We have committed to the industry that we will
have v2 out in paper and in software by September 1999.

We would really like to coordinate efforts if we can.  Please look at the E-5
and let us know if you think some collaboration is possible.

    -- Gary

Gary Morin
Co-Chair AIAG Message Routing Work Group

Director of Automotive Market Developement
BCE Emergis
17197 N. Laurel Park Dr
Livonia, MI 48152
e-mail address changing to [email-masked] March 1, 1999