Subject: where do we stand on the as1 -- http discussion?

From: "Rik Drummond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 17:45:42 -0600

*************************
Rik Drummond
Drummond Group
5008 Bentwood Ct.
Fort Worth, TX 76132
V: 817 294 7339
F: 817 294 7950
*************************

---

From: Dave Darnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 06:00:01 -0700

Rik,

I saw with much interest the discussion on GISB and E-5 incorporation into
the ietf-ediint RFC.

Where is this discussion?

I would like to encourage this effort as much as possible.  Over the past
year I have been working quite a bit in the Utility industry and have
recently become the Team Leader of the Internet EDI Work Group of the
Utility Industry Group (UIG).  PUC's around the US are mandating Internet
EDI as a part of deregulation rulings, including Arizona. The California
PUC has given the utilities until approx. July 1999 to make Internet EDI a
reality.  Pennsylvania has an even tighter schedule.  NY is considering
what to do right now (I am in NYC for meetings today). We are having a
meeting of all the Western States on March 25 to specifically discuss
Utility deregulation Internet EDI.  This has really become a hot topic.  It
is especially important in utility deregulation due to the size of the
transactions we are seeing - no one wants to pay the VAN charges for these.

 I believe EDIINT with more work on the HTTP side is the long term answer.
We especially need help in the area of automating HTTP PUT's/POST's and
GET's and I think GISB and E-5 have a lot to contribute.  Of course the
work in EDIINT must be followed up with product development (Harbinger,
Netscape, Sterling, Cyclone, IpNet, etc.) I think the interest is there to
proceed from some of these vendors - some of them presented at my Internet
EDI seminar (for DISA) that I hosted in Phoenix last week and they all
expressed interests in quickly meeting the needs of the Utility industry.

Again, I would like to encourage your efforts as much as possible.  What
can I do to help?

Best Regards,
Dave Darnell

================
Dave Darnell              
SysTrends, Inc. &  Arizona EC/EDI Roundtable     
Tel: 602.899.4787
 mailto://[email-masked]     http://www.systrends.com
===================================================