Subject: RE: LAST CALL - I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ediint-as2-03.txt

From: Dick Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:57:30 -0600 (CST)

Hi Dale, Carl brought this to my attention this weekend, sorry for the
confusion. As you know I'm new to the EDIINT workgroup and still familiarizing
myself with the Email and HTTP specifications being discussed here.
My earlier comments pertained to an e-mail implementation, which allows
non-mime representation. (Notice the headers of this message are from an
old non-mime aware Unix mail agent).

I've just started reading the as2 document and will no doubt have some
questions/comments to offer. 

One question, has this group looked at the Gas Industry Standards
Board specification for HTTP based EDI? This standard has been around for ~3 
years and has been used on the Internet for over 2 years. There are literally 
hundreds of implementations. The public utility commission in the 
state of Pennsylvania recently adopted it for Internet EDI between
Electric Distribution and Generating Companies. The Federal Energy Regulatory
Commission mandated in 1996 that ALL Interstate Gas pipelines use the GISB
standard for exchanging EDI over the Internet.

It seems to me there would be real benefits from incorporating the 
GISB standard into AS2, especially if you're planning to make AS2 a standards 
track effort.

just my .02

Dick Brooks                            [email-masked]
Tel. 205-250-8053		       Birmingham, Alabama
Group 8760 LLC                         WWW URL:  http://www.8760.com/
SECURE ELECTRONIC COMMERCE SOLUTIONS FOR HEALTHCARE AND NATURAL GAS INDUSTRIES

---

From: "Rik Drummond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:11:07 -0600

Dick... if could develop list of where as2 and gisb are alike and
different... that would be helpful place to start. Best regards, rik

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dick Brooks [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, February 22, 1999 3:58 PM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: LAST CALL - I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ediint-as2-03.txt
>
>

---

From: "Carl Hage" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:10:30 -0800

Date sent:      	Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:57:30 -0600 (CST)
From:           	Dick Brooks <[email-masked]>

> years and has been used on the Internet for over 2 years.

OK, what's a URL to the "standard"? (I couldn't find it and GISB is
private access.)

> GISB standard into AS2, especially if you're planning to make AS2 a

I suspect that the GISB standard should be revised to conform to 
the IETF-EDI standards-- not the other way around. If the data is 
not, X12, then GISB can register a new MIME data type, e.g.
application/EDI-GISB.

The IETF-EDI standards primarily describe the "correct" layering of 
existing standards needed to meet the EDI requirements for 
automated processing, reliability, authentication, and non-
repudiation. These apply to SMTP and HTTP in a compatible way, 
and can work across gateways and VANs. Most existing methods 
are deficient in some of these requirements, or are incompatible 
with other IETF standards.

Thus I am opposed to any standard which is not consistent with 
the IETF RFCs.

It should be reasonably easy to "upgrade" Internet-EDI systems to 
conform to the MIME standards for digital signatures and receipts. 
It would be bad to create dozens of industry specific protocols that 
do the same as generic secure/reliable messaging, but in an 
incompatible way. Instead, general Internet-EDI messaging 
software should be used as the basis for data transfer, while the 
industry standards define the data content format and processing 
conventions.

(The IETF-EDI spec does not address the standards for EDI data-- 
just a general way to exchange data of some specified type).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carl Hage                                              C. Hage Associates
<mailto:[email-masked]> Voice/Fax: 1-408-244-8410      1180 Reed Ave #51
<http://www.chage.com/chage/>                          Sunnyvale, CA 94086

---

From: "Rik Drummond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:14:20 -0600

Dick again, please let us know the differences and similarities of gisb and
as2 an we will start from there.

Rik Drummond
Chair EDIINT WG

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Carl Hage
> Sent: Monday, February 22, 1999 5:11 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> > Board specification for HTTP based EDI? This standard has been
> around for
> > ~3

---

From: "Rik Drummond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:44:06 -0600

I am getting rejects on dick's address. Is anyone else?

> Behalf Of Rik Drummond
> Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 1999 8:14 AM
> To: [email-masked]