Subject: Status of EDIINT AS#1

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 11:32:42 +0200

All,

Chuck asked me to make our specifications available to the list. Below you
find my original message, including a link to our specs.

/Stefan Santesson

----------------------------
Original message:

I have the last month worked hard, trying to use the EDIINT AS#1
specification as implementation specification for secure EDI related to the
Swedish public sector.

In order to do this I have been forced to do some major surgery in the
specs (without changing the technical implementation). In my opinion some
similar would have to be done to the originating Internet draft documents.

Our specs can be obtained from: 
http://www.accurata.se/eh3-ediint/

In these we have addressed the following:

1) Current EDIINT document relates only to S/MIME version 2 (Not to version 3)

2) Many requirements (SHALL, SHOULD-statements etc.) are located in
informational sections of the EDIINT document(s).

3) Parts of the specification has been moved from the requirements
specification into the actual specification. This is mainly the examples,
but from this part we have moved some requirements into other parts of the
spec.

4) We have separated requirements concerning wrapping EDI objects in S/MIME
(SP1) and requirements concerning signed receipts(SP2). The major reason is
that S/MIME wrapping of EDI-objects is independent of transmissions
technology while receipts are not. By this split the first specification
can be made general and development of specific solutions can be
concentrated to receipt and routing issues.

5) Since this separation we have deleted a lot of references to Internet
EDI since the first part and some of the second part are valid also for
other transport mechanisms (such as X.400)

6) We have also combined AS1 (S/MIME wrapping of EDI and signed receipts)
with MIXER (RFC 2156) in order to get a very easy specification (SP3) on
use of ediint over x.400 and gatewaying between X.400 and SMTP.

My first question is to the authors of AS#1:
Given that we have not changed the technical content of the originating
EDIINT specifications, and given the fact that we refer to the original
authors and copy all acknowledgments. Do you oppose that we publish our
documents in the current shape.

My second question/opinion concerns approval of EDIINT AS1 as RFC.
In my opinion the current EDIINT spec has to go through surgery similar to
what we had to do (except from the X.400 part). If you wish I´ll be happy
to offer the work we have done as input to EDIINT. Please do with this as
you wish.

Best regards
Stefan Santesson

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stefan Santesson                <[email-masked]>
Accurata Systemsäkerhet AB      http://www.accurata.se
Slagthuset                      Tel. +46-40 108588              
211 20  Malmö                   Fax. +46-40 150790              
Sweden                        Mobile +46-70 5247799

PGP fingerprint: 89BC 6C79 5B3D 591B 8547  1512 7D11 DBF4 528F 29A0
-------------------------------------------------------------------