Subject: FYI - FERC announcement

From: Dick Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:03:58 -0500 (CDT)

Federal Energy Regulation Commission Designates
   Network Associates PGP As Required Security Standard

   PR Newswire - 08/16/1999

   (Copyright (c) 1999, PR Newswire)

       Gas and Electric Companies Nationwide Move to Deploy PGP to Secure
               Communications and Internet Business Transactions

   SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Network Associates, Inc.
(Nasdaq:
   NETA) today announced that the Federal Energy Regulation Commission (FERC),
an
   independent regulatory agency within the U.S. Government's Department of
Energy, has
   mandated the implementation of its industry-leading PGP encryption and
authentication
   technology by all members of the gas industry. This mandate for
standardization is a part of the
   FERC's effort to bring security and efficiency to electronic communications
within the utility
   industry. In a related decision, the U.S. Gas Industry Standards Board (GISB)
 announced that
   it is in the process of standardizing on PGP for increased data protection
between and within
   member utility companies. The use of PGP will allow the 165 corporate GISB
members
   throughout the natural gas industry to conduct electronic business smoothly
while ensuring their
   data remains private and uncorrupted. The FERC and GISB mandates are part of
a broader
   movement by utility companies industry-wide to standardize on PGP for secure
   communications.

   "The fact that PGP software now supports virtually every commercially used
platform and
   operating system, is used by millions worldwide, and met all our stringent
requirements for data
   privacy, data integrity, authentication and non-repudiation made it an
obvious choice," said Rae
   McQuade, executive director of the Gas Industry Standards Board. "Using PGP
has allowed
   our member companies to engage in secure e-business communications with
confidence."

   The implementation of the PGP product as an industry standard for natural gas
 companies will
   help secure and simplify electronic communications and business transactions
throughout the
   market sector, alleviating administrative burdens associated with protecting
data stored or
   transferred electronically. This standardization will allow member companies
to evolve their
   business while maintaining focus on their customers, service and competition.
 As part of its role
   within the industry to create an efficient, effective marketplace while
protecting consumers, the
   Federal Energy Regulations Committee has echoed GISB's efforts by issuing a
Federal
   mandate stating that all members of the gas industry must use all security
features of PGP 2.6
   or greater.

   GISB is a voluntary, independent organization comprised of companies within
all segments of
   the natural gas industry. The organization works with three main objectives:
to develop and
   maintain voluntary standards governing electronic communications for the
business transaction
   within the natural gas industry; to serve as a forum for reaching
market-responsive solutions; to
   enhance the reliability of gas service through easy access to the information
 standards needed
   for critical business transactions.

   "The PGP product has long been the de facto standard for data encryption and
authentication,"
   said Mona Doss, senior product marketing manager for PGP at Network
Associates. "This
   adoption of the PGP software as the standard for the public utilities
industry is a real world
   illustration of corporate confidence in the strength and position of the
security PGP provides."

   PGP Command Line enables electronic business by providing encryption and
authentication
   for automated processes, such as batch transfers, for several platforms. PGP
Data Security is
   a tightly integrated suite which includes components such as PGP Desktop
(email, file, disk),
   PGP VPN client, PGP Policy Management Agent, PGP Certificate Server and the
PGPsdk
   (software developers toolkit). In addition to its built-in encryption and
authentication
   technology, the PGP product also supports other widely used industry
standards such as RSA,
   SSL (TLS), OpenPGP, LDAP/S and X.509 v3 certificates and offers plug-in
support for
   virtually all major commercial and freeware email clients.

   With headquarters in Santa Clara, California, Network Associates, Inc. is a
leading supplier of
   enterprise network security and management software. Network Associates Net
Tools Secure
   and Net Tools Manager products offer best of breed, suite-based network
security and
   management solutions. Net Tools Secure and Net Tools Manager suites combine
to create
   Net Tools software, which centralizes these point solutions within an
easy-to-use, integrated
   systems management environment. For more information, Network Associates can
be reached
   at 408-988-3832 or on the Internet at http://www.nai.com .

   NOTE: Network Associates, PGP, and Net Tools and Network Associates are
registered
   trademarks of Network Associates, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S.
and/or other countries.
   All other registered and unregistered trademarks in the document are the sole
 property of their
   respective owners.

---

From: "Dave Darnell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 05:06:58 -0700

Dick,

I thought FERC already endorsed GISB EDM which has PGP.

Is this something different?

Regards,
Dave Darnell

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Dick Brooks
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 8:04 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: FYI - FERC announcement

   PR Newswire - 08/16/1999

   SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Network Associates, Inc.
(Nasdaq:
   NETA) today announced that the Federal Energy Regulation Commission
(FERC),
an
   independent regulatory agency within the U.S. Government's Department of
Energy, has
   mandated the implementation of its industry-leading PGP encryption and
authentication
   technology by all members of the gas industry. This mandate for
standardization is a part of the
   FERC's effort to bring security and efficiency to electronic
communications
within the utility
   industry. In a related decision, the U.S. Gas Industry Standards Board
(GISB)
 announced that
   it is in the process of standardizing on PGP for increased data
protection
between and within
   member utility companies. The use of PGP will allow the 165 corporate
GISB
members
   throughout the natural gas industry to conduct electronic business
smoothly
while ensuring their
   data remains private and uncorrupted. The FERC and GISB mandates are part
of
a broader
   movement by utility companies industry-wide to standardize on PGP for
secure
   communications.

   "The fact that PGP software now supports virtually every commercially
used
platform and
   operating system, is used by millions worldwide, and met all our
stringent
requirements for data
   privacy, data integrity, authentication and non-repudiation made it an
obvious choice," said Rae
   McQuade, executive director of the Gas Industry Standards Board. "Using
PGP
has allowed
   our member companies to engage in secure e-business communications with
confidence."

   The implementation of the PGP product as an industry standard for natural
gas
 companies will
   help secure and simplify electronic communications and business
transactions
throughout the
   market sector, alleviating administrative burdens associated with
protecting
data stored or
   transferred electronically. This standardization will allow member
companies
to evolve their
   business while maintaining focus on their customers, service and
competition.
 As part of its role
   within the industry to create an efficient, effective marketplace while
protecting consumers, the
   Federal Energy Regulations Committee has echoed GISB's efforts by issuing
a
Federal
   mandate stating that all members of the gas industry must use all
security
features of PGP 2.6
   or greater.

   GISB is a voluntary, independent organization comprised of companies
within
all segments of
   the natural gas industry. The organization works with three main
objectives:
to develop and
   maintain voluntary standards governing electronic communications for the
business transaction
   within the natural gas industry; to serve as a forum for reaching
market-responsive solutions; to
   enhance the reliability of gas service through easy access to the
information
 standards needed
   for critical business transactions.

   "The PGP product has long been the de facto standard for data encryption
and
authentication,"
   said Mona Doss, senior product marketing manager for PGP at Network
Associates. "This
   adoption of the PGP software as the standard for the public utilities
industry is a real world
   illustration of corporate confidence in the strength and position of the
security PGP provides."

   PGP Command Line enables electronic business by providing encryption and
authentication
   for automated processes, such as batch transfers, for several platforms.
PGP
Data Security is
   a tightly integrated suite which includes components such as PGP Desktop
(email, file, disk),
   PGP VPN client, PGP Policy Management Agent, PGP Certificate Server and
the
PGPsdk
   (software developers toolkit). In addition to its built-in encryption and
authentication
   technology, the PGP product also supports other widely used industry
standards such as RSA,
   SSL (TLS), OpenPGP, LDAP/S and X.509 v3 certificates and offers plug-in
support for
   virtually all major commercial and freeware email clients.

   With headquarters in Santa Clara, California, Network Associates, Inc. is
a
leading supplier of
   enterprise network security and management software. Network Associates
Net
Tools Secure
   and Net Tools Manager products offer best of breed, suite-based network
security and
   management solutions. Net Tools Secure and Net Tools Manager suites
combine
to create
   Net Tools software, which centralizes these point solutions within an
easy-to-use, integrated
   systems management environment. For more information, Network Associates
can
be reached
   at 408-988-3832 or on the Internet at http://www.nai.com .

   NOTE: Network Associates, PGP, and Net Tools and Network Associates are
registered
   trademarks of Network Associates, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S.
and/or other countries.
   All other registered and unregistered trademarks in the document are the
sole
 property of their
   respective owners.