Subject: Scope of ediint

From: Andrew Paterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 12:26:02 -0000

In a message entitled "RE: EDI and Message Disposition Notifications",
Andrew Stickland wrote:

> Much press is being made about EDI being dead! Or position is that
> Electronic Data Interchange encompases all business to business
> comminications which do not involve human intervention. Whilst XML may
> in time see the end of traditional EDI (i.e. EDIFACT, ANSI etc.), XML
> is simply another structured method for communicating data between
> businesses.

This raises a question that I am sure must have been asked before but I will
ask again anyway: can the ediint framework be used for exchanging business
data other than "traditional" EDI (EDIFACT, X12 etc.)? What do I need to do,
if anything, to use the ediint framework for edi in general rather than just
EDI?

Ok, that is two questions but they are essentially asking the same thing!

TIA.

Regards,
Andrew Paterson
[email-masked]
All opinions are strictly my own (not that anyone else would take credit for
them anyway!)

The information contained in this eMail message is intended for the named
recipients only.  It may contain privileged and/or confidential information
and if you are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering
this to the addressee, you may not copy, distribute or take action in
reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately by a reversed charge telephone call to +44 (0)161 929-8673.
Any personal views and opinions expressed in this eMail message are the
sender's own and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of
Burns.

---

From: "Rik Drummond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 07:20:04 -0600

Scope of ediintEverything is generic in the ediint spec, except the internal
mime object is rfc 1767 which is the edi mime object.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Andrew Paterson
  Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 6:26 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Scope of ediint

  > is simply another structured method for communicating data between

  This raises a question that I am sure must have been asked before but I
will ask again anyway: can the ediint framework be used for exchanging
business data other than "traditional" EDI (EDIFACT, X12 etc.)? What do I
need to do, if anything, to use the ediint framework for edi in general
rather than just EDI?

  TIA.

  Regards,
  Andrew Paterson
  [email-masked]
  All opinions are strictly my own (not that anyone else would take credit
for them anyway!)

---

From: "Dick Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 09:42:56 -0800

Scope of ediintWithin the context of RFC1767, it's quite possible for
"consenting TP's" to use a proprietary exchange format and label it as
Content-type:application/EDI-consent (thanks to Mike O'dell).

Additionally, within EDIINT AS2 it states:

    "In addition to the enveloping and MIME media type options defined in
    sections 4.2.x and 4.3.x of "MIME-based Secure EDI" [AS1], this
    specification enables the transport of payload objects containing other
    MIME media types. A listing of registered MIME media types is available
from
    the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) at:
    http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types
    [MIME-TYPES].

    Implementors are to follow the appropriate specifications identified
under
    "References" in [MIME-TYPES], for the type of object being transmitted.
For
    example, to send an XML object, the MIME media type of text/xml is used
in
    the Content-type MIME header and the specifications for enveloping the
    object are contained in RFC2376, (e.g.  Content-type:   text/xml;
    charset="utf-8"). "

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Andrew Paterson
  Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 4:26 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Scope of ediint

  TIA.

  Regards,
  Andrew Paterson