Subject: Re: Scope of ediint

From: Bret Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 22:23:25

I am using the ediint framework to cover all of my client's business to
business transaction frameworks - sure often I throw the technical part
_right_ out the window, but I'm using the concepts to transfer everything
from drawing information, simulation results & data, warehouse transactions
you name it...

Like every standard around - its a good starting point :}

Cheers,

Bret

At 12:26 5/11/99 -0000, you wrote:
>
>In a message entitled "RE: EDI and Message Disposition Notifications",
Andrew Stickland wrote: 
>
>> Much press is being made about EDI being dead! Or position is that 
>> Electronic Data Interchange encompases all business to business 
>> comminications which do not involve human intervention. Whilst XML may 
>> in time see the end of traditional EDI (i.e. EDIFACT, ANSI etc.), XML 
>> is simply another structured method for communicating data between 
>> businesses. 
>
>This raises a question that I am sure must have been asked before but I
will ask again anyway: can the ediint framework be used for exchanging
business data other than "traditional" EDI (EDIFACT, X12 etc.)? What do I
need to do, if anything, to use the ediint framework for edi in general
rather than just EDI?
>
>Ok, that is two questions but they are essentially asking the same thing! 
>
>TIA. 
>
>Regards, 
>Andrew Paterson 
>[email-masked] 
>All opinions are strictly my own (not that anyone else would take credit
for them anyway!) 

Technical Incursion Countermeasures 
[email-masked]                      http://www.ticm.com/
voice mail/fax: (+65)459 6373(UTC+8 hrs)      

The Insider - a e'zine on Computer security Call for papers Vol 3 Issue 2 
http://www.ticm.com/info/insider/index.html

---

From: "Dick Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:46:32 -0800

Within the context of EDIINT AS2
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ediint-as2-06.txt and the Gas
Industry Standard for Internet EDI, the sender and receiver ID's are allowed
to be DUNS numbers. Use of DUNS numbers makes comparison straight forward
(no concerns over case), it's just a ASCII integer. Obviously DUNS numbers
don't work well in inter-personal identification, but seems to work fine in
B2B scenarios.

Dick Brooks
www.8760.com