Subject: [edu-discuss] IETF for university students

From: Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 12:12:51 -0400

I met a couple of university professors at a NANOG, and asked why they
didn’t have a program for introducing students to the IETF. Since then, I’ve
had a couple of meetings with them to talk about how to develop coursework
that would help a graduate student learn the IETF process and make useful
contributions.

I didn’t want them or anyone to think I “represent” the IETF, and while I
have talked about this with a few people, my perspective is not consensus.

We’ve set ourselves a goal of having coursework for early 2018 to support
participation (including remote participation) in IETF101 (London).

Does anyone have concerns with this effort?
Would anyone like to volunteer time or other resources to support it?

Does this list still exist? The last message in the archives
(https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=edu-discuss) was from
me, two years ago, and the one prior to that was four years ago.

Thanks,
Lee

---

From: "Scott O. Bradner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 12:19:19 -0400

fwiw - I teach the IETF in my extension school classes and I provided a copy of the videos to the IETF

Scott

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 12:12 PM, Lee Howard <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I met a couple of university professors at a NANOG, and asked why they didn’t have a program for introducing students to the IETF. Since then, I’ve had a couple of meetings with them to talk about how to develop coursework that would help a graduate student learn the IETF process and make useful contributions.
> 
> I didn’t want them or anyone to think I “represent” the IETF, and while I have talked about this with a few people, my perspective is not consensus. 
> 
> We’ve set ourselves a goal of having coursework for early 2018 to support participation (including remote participation) in IETF101 (London). 
> 
> Does this list still exist? The last message in the archives (https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=edu-discuss) was from me, two years ago, and the one prior to that was four years ago.
> 
> Thanks,
> Lee
> 
> _______________________________________________
> edu-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-discuss

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 14:01:22 -0500

Replying to Lee, but I've seen the videos Scott mentioned in his reply, and
they were useful enough for me to encourage students in Texas to watch ...

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Lee Howard <[email-masked]> wrote:

> didn’t have a program for introducing students to the IETF. Since then,
> I’ve had a couple of meetings with them to talk about how to develop
> coursework that would help a graduate student learn the IETF process and
> make useful contributions.
>

Sure, and I'm not sure why you'd need consensus of anyone who wasn't Lee
Howard to encourage people to know more about the IETF ;-)

> Does anyone have concerns with this effort?

I have only one, and Scott's mention of available videos now could help
with it.

Per https://www.ietf.org/meeting/upcoming.html, you're talking about
turning people on about the IETF enough that they can participate more
efficiently than sitting and watching working group sessions, whether in
person or on Meetecho, before March 17, ignoring any other prior deadlines
(register for a Hackathon, as an example).

Making that happen isn't easy to do with professional engineers.

When can that *start* happening? If people are able to send out resources
like Scott's videos to help students get started before January, I'd be
pretty optimistic about making something good happen.

> Does this list still exist? The last message in the archives (
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=edu-discuss) was
> from me, two years ago, and the one prior to that was four years ago.
>

People on the EDU team (named at
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/edu/wiki/EduMMembers) would know more, but ISTM
that we haven't been discussing EDU within the broader community very much
- rather, it's mostly people talking with the EDU team itself.

But I'm the wrong person to know what's been going on for the past 8-10
years - I left the EDU team so long ago that I'm not listed as a former
member on the team web page ;-)

Spencer

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 16:49:21 -0700

I think this is a great idea and I would very much like to see this initiative succeed. Also happy to help as needed. 

This might already be a part of your plan, but I would love for the information flow to be bi-directional, i.e. I think the IETF could benefit from getting input from this new generation of enginners, for example: 

- What is the best way to get information to them, how do they best learn? 
- What kind of tools are they using to collaborate online? 

Basically, as essential is it is for us to provide an introduction to the complicated ways of the IETF — and it’s absolutely necessary — I think it’s also very important for the IETF (or at least the EDU team) to evolve in order to meet the learning and collaboration style of the incoming generation of engineers. 

Alexa

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 9:12 AM, Lee Howard <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Does this list still exist? The last message in the archives (https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=edu-discuss <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=edu-discuss>) was from me, two years ago, and the one prior to that was four years ago.
> 
> Thanks,
> Lee
>