Subject: [edu-team] Discuss List

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 07:27:21 -0400

Hi All,

I think that we should try to get some discussion going on the
edu-discuss list.

I think that folks might be interested in seeing the outline
for the new editors training.  Avri, would you be willing to
send it?  It would probably be most effective if you send
it in text form, rather than PDF...  But, either might work.

James, it would also be good to run your ideas by the
edu-discuss list for how WG chairs can make sessions more
accessible to non-NA participants.  We may get some good
ideas from the list.

Spencer, do you want to float your smiley face idea?

We have about 60 people on the list, and I'd like us to
start using that list as a resource, if possible.

Just FYI -- the list address is [email-masked].

Margaret

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:54:34 -0500

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Margaret Wasserman" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 6:27 AM
Subject: [edu-team] Discuss List

> accessible to non-NA participants.  We may get some good

Back when I thought the edu-discuss list WAS the edu-team list,
I had started a draft on what's different about chairing meetings
at IETF. I can provide comments on the list when James posts.

> Spencer, do you want to float your smiley face idea?

I believe the last variation on this idea was to just do it - it
was the poster child for action instead of discussion, and 
I didn't want to give anyone the opportunity to post things
like "I don't want to talk to anyone, I just came to do my
job", etc.

Spencer

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:16:42 +0900

how about if it put the pdf on a web page and send the pointer so it 
can be picked by anyone interested?

a.

On fredag, sep 19, 2003, at 20:27 Asia/Seoul, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

>  Avri, would you be willing to

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:21:00 -0400

wfm

Margaret

At 12:16 AM 9/23/2003 +0900, Avri Doria wrote:
>how about if it put the pdf on a web page and send the pointer so it can 
>be picked by anyone interested?
>
>a.
>

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:25:21 +0800

Ah, I realized I did not send out my slides after the last conf call. No 
wonder I getting no feedback...

Anyway, here it is.

-James Seng

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:10:37 -0700

found your slides at last - had to ask before I found slide 25-28 in the 
slidepack; didn't look far enough!

the "considerations for ESL participants" says:

- Some people considered IETF environment very hostile or aggressive
  - Encourage them to read the Taos of IETF

perhaps say a word about the difference between cultural environment and 
genuine agression - language difference vs attitude.
also, not all ESL people come from non-aggressive cultures!

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:08:08 +0800

How about

- IETF has a very difficult culture which maybe considered "hostile" to 
some people
   o Culture shock - Not everyone fits in right away
   o Encourage them to read The Tao of IETF

-James Seng

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:02:45 -0500

I have a few comments:

- I would like to see "ask each speaker to identify self at the
microphone" listed somewhere. It's not just an ESL consideration, of
course.

- for slide 24, I think the second bullet is even more important than
the first. I would also add "less confusing" as an advantage.

- for slide 25, I would remove "before hand" - it's important to write
the questions out, even if you're doing it in real time (if a question
arises during discussion).

  "Repeat the question" is also not just an ESL consideration.

  I'm not sure what "A translator would help but not encouraged"
means - does it mean "not necessary", or does it mean "discouraged"?

- for slide 26, change to "some friends who are"?

- for slide 27, change to " you think you hear"?

I think your slide 27 now includes "maybe considered "hostile" to
some people" - I think it's "may be considered "hostile" by some
people"

I hope this helps...

Spencer

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:46:53 +0800

> means - does it mean "not necessary", or does it mean "discouraged"?

A translator is useful but should not be encourage. Like it or not, IETF 
is still a primarly English organization and participants need certain 
command of English to survive within IETF. They should not or could not 
rely on translator all their participation.

> I hope this helps...

Yes, it helps :-) I have made all other grammers correction :-) Will 
send out new revisions.

-James Seng