Subject: [edu-team] Edu-team conf call 3. Feb. 2006 - minutes

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:46:19 +0100

Please see below the draft minutes of today's call.

Mirjam
-------

Edu-Team call
3. Feb. 2006, 16:00 UTC

Avri Doria
Radia Perlman
Susan Harris
Thomas Narten
Brian Carpenter
Mirjam Kuehne

Agenda:

1. Readiness for IETF65, Dallas
2. charter review/rewrite
3. other issues

1. Readiness for IETF65, Dallas

Session A
- Newcomer - Scott Bradner
- Editing an RFC - The RFC Editor
- Security - Charlie Kaufman (still waiting for confirmation from Charlie)

Session B
- WG Leadership - Spencer Dawkins & Paul Hoffman
- XML2RFC - Elwyn Davies
- Routing - Radia Perlman

Brian mentions that it has to be clear that we are giving the more
technical trainings, because we think the discussions at the IETF
would be better when people are educated on these technical
matters. Suggests to see if this could be clarified more in the
presented material, e.g. in the intro.

Avri reports that Elwyn confirms that he will submit his slides to the
team next week.

2. charter review/rewrite

Brian suggests to arrange a meeting at Dallas with some IAOC people. It
would be silly if we would create two different tutorial tracks, one
organised by the edu team, another by someone else (e.g. ISOC, IAOC).

Radia had some valid points in her mail (regarding charging for the
classes).

She believes there is the danger of getting super-political about who
gets to teach the classes. Suggests that even if we charge for
classes, we should not pay teachers. Expects that we would not have
trouble of finding teachers that would offer it for free.

Brian is concerned that if we start charging for the tutorials, we
might discourage people to attend the tutorials.

This would also add a commercial edge to the IETF that makes some
people feel uncomfortable (similar to the trade show idea that was
raised a while ago).

Thomas is wondering what the IAOC's oppinion is about all that. Do
they want paid tutorials?

Brian explains that the IAOC is looking at additional revenue streams,
not necessarily from ISOC, but created by or at the meetings.

Thomas thinks it would be nice to see a proposal: what revenue does
the IAOC expects to see, how are they trying to raise it etc. But how
does this involve the edu team?

Avri believes it does involve the edu team, because it might affect
the edu-team charter. Do we cover technical topics in additon to
process topics and if so why? Because they affect other areas and
because it fosters cross fertilisation?

Brian agrees, but suggests that this needs to be clarified in the
charter with a sentence like: 

"Even though the primary focus is on process issues, it has been found
that teaching technical topics, will help wrt. cross-fertilisation
etc."

This would clarify that the technical topics are not randomly picked,
but that they serve a purpose and help improve processes.

This would certainly help to answer some of the IAOC's questions and
concerns.

Thomas is slightly concerned that we might be focusing too much on the
technical and not enough on the process related issues. Suggests we'd
be working on consensus building methods for instance. Or how to run a
mailing list. Or how to drive work in the WG.

Some of these issues may be better addressed in a document or on-line,
f2f tutorials are not necessarily needed for all topics.

Some material exists (e.g. in the Tao), but might have to be prepared
better. 

Thomas wrote a good draft on how to run a successful BoF. 

Thomas offered to make a list of issues that the edu-team could be
covering. Then we can take a step back and prioritise them.

ACTION all: come up with concrete suggestions on what the edu team
should be working on over the next year (at least 1 item each).

ACTION Avri to collect the ideas and incorporate them into the new
draft charter. We can then discuss the charter at the next meeting.

3. AOB

Avri suggests to discuss Thomas' BoF draft at the WG chair meeting.

Thomas is not sure about it, different audience and maybe better 
just read. But he would be willing to present it if its felt that this
would be the best topic for the WG-chairs lunch.

We are trying to organise a f2f mtg. in Dallas. Will try to find a
time on the list.

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:18:19 -0500

hi,

thanks for taking the notes.  i have one clarification:

> Avri reports that Elwyn confirms that he will submit his slides to the

Actually, I will see him week after next and he hopes to have the  
beginnings of a draft we can talk about.  He is committing to  
submitting it to the Edu team by the -00 draft deadline.

thanks again

a.