Subject: [edu-team] Action Items from the meeting

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:23:40 -0500

Hi,

We agreed to start working on the Edu Team charter and to have a  
draft within the team to discuss next  meeting (1st friday of March  
060303).

to do this, the following actions were indicated:

- Each team member should send at least one goal for the Edu Team for  
next year within the next 2 weeks (by 17 feb).  this can be a class  
suggestion or some other type of educational program we should be  
doing.  Each team member can send more then one, but at least one is  
requested.

- I will collate these into a draft of the charter that can be  
discussed on 3 March.    I will get this draft sent out by the 1 Mar.

Of course we can discuss all of this on the list,b ti it is good to  
have some real action items.

thanks

a.

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:28:41 +0100

Hi,

Feb 17 has come and gone, and I have not seen any statements from you  
all on your top goal for the Edu Team for the next year.

My action was to take these and draft them into a proposed charter  
update.  so if you have any goals for the team, please let me know.

thanks
a.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
> Date: 3 februari 2006 22.23.40 GMT+01:00
> To: EDU Team <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [edu-team] Action Items from the meeting
>
> Hi,
>
> - Each team member should send at least one goal for the Edu Team  
> for next year within the next 2 weeks (by 17 feb).  this can be a  
> class suggestion or some other type of educational program we  
> should be doing.  Each team member can send more then one, but at  
> least one is requested.
>

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 06:14:23 -0600

Dear Avri,

> Hi,
>
> Feb 17 has come and gone, and I have not seen any statements from you  all 
> on your top goal for the Edu Team for the next year.

Thank you for the wake-up call.

> update.  so if you have any goals for the team, please let me know.

I hope for one modest goal, one reasonable goal, and one stretchy goal.

- I think one of the most important things we can do is provide the "New 
Work" tutorial we have been discussing, and update the IETF Overiew and WG 
Leadership tutorials to match (even if it's only replacing content-by-value 
with content-by-reference to the "New Work" tutorial). This COULD have a 
normative dependency on Thomas's "How to have a successful BOF" I-D, 
although I hope we could begin our work based on Thomas's draft and track 
changes, since this draft is extremely helpful and reasonably 
non-controversial (at least I did not observe the draft being burned in the 
streets of Vancouver last November).

- We have discussed the need for a specific IPR tutorial for a couple of 
IETF cycles. There is some material in the IETF Overview, but more would be 
helpful. There is almost nothing except a list of RFCs in WG Leadership, 
IIRC. I believe the previous issue was "the tutorial would be 15 minutes 
long unless we start talking about specific cases, and we're not sure we 
want to talk about specific cases". I wish we talked about specific cases.

- I have been feeling very guilty presenting the description of the 
standards track that's contained in the IETF Overview for a few IETF cycles 
now, but have resisted updating the description to say what we REALLY do, 
because I believe this would be controversial (the tutorial matches the 
documented procedure, and we know how far from reality that is, for most 
protocols. But I don't have a good pointer to something like the "How to 
have a successful BOF" draft, that would let me get started with this 
update). If we make any progress at all in the next year on documenting 
either what we do in the standards track now or what we will be doing in the 
standards track in the future, this should be reflected in at least the IETF 
Overview tutorial, and perhaps (at some minimal level) in WG Leadership as 
well.

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: Susan Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:12:50 -0500 (EST)

A modest goal - to improve the visibility of our tutorials, although 
someone (Brian?) has made great strides in that direction by getting us an 
actual link off the main IETF65 web page.

A sort of negative goal - to help convince the IAOC/ISOC not to start 
charging for tutorials.  As I said on our last call, I think this would 
commercialize the IETF's image. I can't remember if we discussed payment 
for instructors, but I'd assume this would be expected for a paid 
tutorial, and once we pay those fees + all the speakers' travel expenses 
I'm not sure how much money we'd actually make.

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Avri Doria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Feb 17 has come and gone, and I have not seen any statements from you all on 
> your top goal for the Edu Team for the next year.
>
> My action was to take these and draft them into a proposed charter update. 
> so if you have any goals for the team, please let me know.
>
> thanks
> a.
>
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> We agreed to start working on the Edu Team charter and to have a draft 
>> within the team to discuss next  meeting (1st friday of March 060303).
>> 
>> - Each team member should send at least one goal for the Edu Team for next 
>> year within the next 2 weeks (by 17 feb).  this can be a class suggestion 
>> or some other type of educational program we should be doing.  Each team 
>> member can send more then one, but at least one is requested.
>> 
>> - I will collate these into a draft of the charter that can be discussed on 
>> 3 March.    I will get this draft sent out by the 1 Mar.
>> 
>> Of course we can discuss all of this on the list,b ti it is good to have 
>> some real action items.
>> 
>> thanks
>> 
>> a.
>> 
> !DSPAM:43f9af3810958303218201!
>

---

From: "Margaret Wasserman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:20:35 -0500

I still have the following hope for the EDU Team:

--> Teach IETF participants how to successfully bring new work into the
IETF:
		- Into existing WGs
		- As a new BOF/WG effort

[And, as a secondary result, help to refine our procedures related to new
work and make them more fair, consistent and predictable.  With the tertiary
result that people might actually bring more work here.]

I think that Thomas' successful BOF draft is a good step in this direction,
but it is only one piece of the puzzle.

Margaret 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Avri Doria [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 6:29 AM
> To: EDU Team
> Subject: Fwd: [edu-team] Action Items from the meeting
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Feb 17 has come and gone, and I have not seen any statements 
> from you all on your top goal for the Edu Team for the next year.
> 
> My action was to take these and draft them into a proposed 
> charter update.  so if you have any goals for the team, 
> please let me know.
> 
> thanks
> a.
> 
> 
> Begin forwarded message:
>