Subject: [edu-team] My notes from our telechat today

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:01:48 -0500

Attending - Avri, Scott, Radia, Margaret, Thomas, Susan, Brian, Spencer

- Edu Team Leadership Issues

Margaret will be co-leading EDU with Avri, based on conversations in
Montreal, pending IESG approval of new charter

Brian will put this in front of the IESG next week, and expects that
IESG will ask for community comments, probably on the IETF announce
list

Not a big change, because Margaret has been involved all along and has
been doing the lunch programs all along

- Status of charter

Mostly pruning and tightening. If there are substantive changes, they
are around new initiatives and "bringing new work into the IETF"

Please read and comment, but it's important that it moves forward and
is finalized

Not viewed as a big change, nothing added, mostly editing and
de-baiting examples

- Status of preparations for IETF67

Six items on schedule - newcomers, editing an RFC, repeat of MIB
editors, bringing new work to IETF, working group leadership, and
security tutorial

New charter has "bringing new work" mentioned explicitly - Thomas will
make sure his writeup and the charter match

Avri looking for EDU team by 00 deadline

Paul and Margaret are willing to give the WG leadership tutorial

We need to confirm Paul is still on for WG leadership - Margaret will do this

EDU team may review WG leadership - Margaret and Paul will look at it
first and run concepts for changes past EDU

Spencer will send thoughts to Margaret and Paul

Avri is talking to Security ADs about tutorial review

In general, we're looking for area review for all the technical tutorials

Radia would like to revise for security considerations anyway, this is
very timely

Can give examples of stuff that is bounced - this is public
information in the tracker

Brian asked about adding discussion of mandatory-to-implement security
- this is very contentious at this time with ATOMPUB, also with L2VPN,
etc. Brian will send his ATOMPUB to Radia as background

Avri will not be in San Diego until late on Sunday, but Margaret will
be available if there are problems. Projectors have been an issue (15
minutes before, and maybe even 5 minutes after). If you're teaching a
first-slot class and don't have a projector 15 minutes early, panic
then and talk to the secretariat at the registration desk

- WG Lunch IETF67

Margaret will talk with Allison and Henrik about WG chair access to
tracker. Will not be available at IETF67, but should be completed spec
by then. Henrik has produced a draft three days ago, hasn't been
posted yet

No one has volunteered to do a Wiki yet - need volunteers to provide
content. Could EDU team use this to make our materials more
web-accessible? Spencer can help with this, now that he's not doing WG
leadership. We still need some review/moderation function for new
material. Thomas is also willing to do this, as is Susan Harris

Avri having problems with our EDU site currently - Wiki could also be
a way around the problem, in the long term, but we need to have a more
accessible EDU site in the short/medium term. Could ask Rob Austein,
or Henrik - Avri will talk to Henrik

- Planning for IETF68

If we follow -teach-twice-and-then-wait, we only have one open slot
for IETF 68 (MIB class would fall out of rotation). DNS class is not a
candidate until we go to Asia

Consider a new class (as identified in the charter?) - local language
newcomers' class? Do we have enough local attendees to do the class?
to need the class? We don't actually know where the next IETF is,
officially, anyway. We can be guided by the local sponsors when we
know who they are. We can get a good speaker who isn't as
knowledgeable about IETF if we have an experienced participant in the
room to handle questions

Does anyone know how to structure documents so they are
understandable? There is an IAB document on ptotocol specifications,
produced recently

There are new tools for general users, and we haven't done training for them

Could the tools be introduced in 15 minutes? at the plenary? In
addition to a class?

Current plenaries are crowded now, but Spencer says IESG is looking at
the way they do agendas for plenaries, starting at IETF 68. We should
talk about this with Brian, next time he's available/via e-mail

- other?

No other items were noted

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team