Subject: [edu-team] Re: EDU Security Tutorial

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:10:37 -0400

I think Radia has been doing a very good job.  If she is willing to 
keep doing it, I would encourage her to do so.

Russ

At 09:42 AM 9/27/2007, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
>Hi Russ, Sam and Tim,
>
>The EDU Team needs to make a decision very soon about what we will be
>presenting in our remaining class slot on the Sunday of IETF 70 in
>November.
>
>One of the options we have discussed is presenting an updated version
>of the Security Tutorial. This tutorial was last given in March of
>2007 by Radia Perlman (cc:ed above as part of the EDU Team), and the
>slides can be found here:
>
>http://edu.ietf.org/download/67/ietfsectutmarch2007.pdf
>
>If we do not update the security tutorial for IETF 70, we will
>probably do it for IETF 71.
>
>Could you make suggestions about how/if  this tutorial could or
>should be updated before it is presented again?  Are there any timely
>issues in the security area that should be covered, or covered in
>more depth?  Do you have any thoughts on whether it makes more sense
>to do it now or for IETF 71?
>
>Depending on what updates are desired, we could ask Radia if she
>would be willing to present this tutorial again.  However, we have
>sometimes found that it can be valuable to have someone new update
>and present our technical tutorials, so that the new presenter can
>reflect his/her main areas of expertise into an evolving tutorial.
>
>Is there someone that you would suggest as a new presenter for this
>tutorial, either with Radia (if that is okay with Radia) or alone?
>They need to be available to present a class on Sunday afternoon, and
>they need to have the cycles to update this class by the IETF 70
>draft deadline and reflect any review feedback from the EDU Team
>before the IETF meeting.  One of you would be great, of course, if
>your IETF 70 meeting schedule and pre-IETF schedule will allow.
>
>We need to work out all of these details within the next couple of
>weeks if we want to present an updated security tutorial for IETF 70.
>
>Margaret
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:59:53 -0400

Hi Russ,

Thanks.  We have received consistently great review of Radia's  
Security tutorial, from relative newcomers to established members of  
the security area and everyone in between.  It just seems worthwhile  
to check in from time-to-time to see if a new voice would make sense.

How about topics?  Are there any topics that you'd like to see  
covered in more detail?  Any timely issues that should be covered in  
more depth?

Margaret

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 15:17:45 -0400

I have not looked at the security tutorial slides in a while.

I think in terms of updates we'd like to include more on security
frameworks than was in the last set of slides I looked at.  Since we
have found that SASL+TLS is the best fit for simple client server
apps, it's important to cover that.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:48:20 -0400

I think the topics are right.  It might be appropriate to add a 
single slide about the PKI that is being developed in SIDR.

Russ

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:56:28 -0700

I am happy to keep doing it, and would also be happy to include any more 
topics
that anyone thinks should be included and aren't yet. Just let me know.

Radia

Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> How about topics?  Are there any topics that you'd like to see covered 
> in more detail?  Any timely issues that should be covered in more depth?
>
> Margaret
>