Subject: [edu-team] Thought for WG Chair Training in Dublin

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:25:21 -0400

How to handle IETF Last Call review

The discussion about Gen-ART and SecDir reviews shows that there is 
misunderstanding.  Further, I'd like to encourage WG Chairs to ask 
for early review at WG Last Call.  I hope that someone can work with 
me to make this happen on Wednesday Lunch in Dublin.

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:34:33 -0400

Excellent idea, Russ!

We've presented this material before, but at our EDU meeting in  
Philadelphia, there was a suggestion that a replay of some of our  
previous topics might be in order.  We've been doing WG chair  
sessions for over 6 years now, and there has been a lot of turnover  
in chairs during that time.  This is one of those topics that it  
might make sense to replay.

I've also noticed a few times lately that despite the WG shepherding  
efforts, existing chairs _still_ don't seem to be as familiar with  
the late document stages as one might expect...  There is confusion  
about how/when to send documents to WGLC, about how/when to get  
reviews from directorates, about how/when to assign an document  
shepherd, about how to handle directorate review comments, about who  
sends a document to IETF Last Call and when, etc.

Rather than simply listing the steps, I think we should talk about  
why we take these steps and what we are trying to accomplish at each  
stage.  We could also talk about ways to make things go more  
smoothly, such as requesting directorate reviews earlier when that  
makes sense (example: secdir review of new protocols, mib doctor  
review of mibs) or proactively contacting other WGs when work may  
overlap (example: joint WGLCs with dhc for DHCP options).  Perhaps we  
might also talk about what to do if you get a directorate comment or  
IESG discuss that you disagree with or that goes against previous WG  
discussions?  I think it would be useful to help WG chairs/document  
shepherds understand how to start a constructive, open dialogue in  
those situations.

I'd be happy to work with you to make this happen.  It has been a  
while since I've actually participated in one of the WG chairs  
sessions instead of just organizing them...

I'm not technically back from maternity leave until April 28th, but I  
am reading e-mail pretty regularly at this point and would be willing  
to do some work on this before I get back.

Margaret

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:44:18 +0100

Before I forget: Jim Galvin also had a suggestion for WG chair training:
How to set up ietf mailing lists, what the defaults are and what should 
be changed. He is working on some documentation and will send it to us.

We should then make this available to WG chair (not sure this is a 
good topic for a WG lunch).

Mirjam

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:51:11 -0400

Seems like both topics could be covered in one lunchtime session.

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:35:34 +0100

Hi all,

Marcia asked to send her a list of tutorials before Monday
if at all possible. That's when registration for Dublin starts.

I have noted so far:

first time slot:
Newcomers Tutorial (Scott Bradner)
xml2rfc (Alice Hagens/Bill Fenner)

second time slot:
Document Lifecycle (Alice Hagens, Margaret Wasserman)
Routing (Dave Ward) 

Anything else? 

I know we try to offer 6 tutorials, but I think this is actually a
good list and maybe we should leave it as that? Or I guess, we could
still add one or two at a later stage (but that might mess up the
registration numbers).

Kind Regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:13:36 -0700

I still would like, at some point, a tutorial on interdomain issues -- 
what we wanted
Geoff Huston's tutorial to be, but he wound up just doing routing 
protocols. I wonder
if Dave Ward's can be more like what we wanted Geoff Huston's to be, 
rather than
simply talking about distance vector, link state, OSPF, RIP, BGP, etc.

Also, I'd like, at some point, to see a tutorial on all the telephony stuff.

Radia

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:12:00 +0100

Radia,

I had hoped that you and/or someone else in the edu team could maybe
contact Dave Ward and discuss scope, material, goals etc. with him. He
was pretty open to present whatever we would find useful.

Mirjam

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:27:10 -0400

Hi Radia,

Could you do this and cc: the rest of us?  One thing it is important  
to stress is that he should focus on things that IETF attendees need  
to know about routing, not just a general tutorial.

Margaret

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:51:38 -0700

OK. I'll do that.

Radia

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:24:17 +0100

Hello,

I just realised I made a mistake on the list below. 
Dave Ward said he can do the first time slot:

- first time slot (13:00 - 14:45)
Newcomers Tutorial (Scott Bradner)
xml2rfc (Alice Hagens/Bill Fenner)
Routing (Dave Ward) 

- second time slot (15:00 - 16:45)
Document Lifecycle (Alice Hagens, Margaret Wasserman)

In that case, it might be good if we find another topic
for the second slot.

Mirjam