Subject: [edu-team] xml tutorial in Dublin

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:53:39 +0100

Alice,

I spoke to Bill Fenner yesterday and he said he would be happy to teach 
RFC Editors/xml2rfc together with you in Dublin based on your and Elwyn's 
slides.

Can you two please take it from here.

Thanks,
Mirjam

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Alice Hagens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:45:18 -0400

Mirjam,

I spoke with Bill today and I'm happy to help with an xml2rfc  
tutorial for IETF 72.

Not really sure what you mean by "RFC Editors/xml2rfc".

 From the meeting yesterday, I understood that Document Lifecycle  
tutorial with Margaret would be on the schedule for IETF 72.  I can  
be present at both Document Lifecycle and xml2rfc tutorials, assuming  
they are in different time slots.

Thanks,
Alice

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:35:17 +0100

Alice,

> I spoke with Bill today and I'm happy to help with an xml2rfc  

I guess, that is exactly what I meant :-)

> they are in different time slots.

Perfect. I'll make note of that so we schedule this in different time
slots.

Thanks,
Mirjam

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:32:04 -0400

Hi All,

One thing we've been discussing is that the xml2rfc slides are very  
detailed and include a lot of things that no one may ever use to  
write an I-D.  One thought was that it might make sense to shorten  
the presentation to make it a bit clearer what you actually need to  
know to write an I-D using xml2rfc.

I also had the thought that a shorter version of the xml2rfc  
presentation might be combined with some highlights on other tools  
that are available to document authors -- the id-nits checker, the I- 
D subminssion tool, the IPR tool, I-D tracker, etc.  We could call  
the resulting tutorial something like "xml2rfc and Tools for Document  
Editors", or something like that...

Bill, do you think it might make sense to do a tutorial along those  
lines for Dublin?

Alice is correct that she and I are planning to do "document  
lifecycle" again, which has no tools coverage at all.

Margaret

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:27:33 +1300

> One thought was that it might make sense to shorten  

I would strongly advocate keeping *all* the slides in the deck, but
moving many of them to the back as reference material. I agree
that the live talk should concentrate on essentials, but there
are a lot of extremely useful hints in the slides and it would
be tragic to lose them.

    Brian

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:35:37 -0700

> know to write an I-D using xml2rfc.

I'd be a good guinea pig. I am not an xml2rfc user and am not happy
about the time I have wasted trying to get a working xml2rfc
environment working for me.

I need simple instructions, with a simple tutorial that does the
things I run into when writing a draft (e.g., a working example with
all the typical things one needs). I am willing to spend 5 minutes
learning enough to start writing a draft.

No doubt, this all exists, I just haven't looked in the right
place.

Where is the stock presentation we've used in the past?

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:59:06 -0700

> No doubt, this all exists, I just haven't looked in the right

Well, I just browsed through the edu web site and didn't find what I
was hoping to find: something oriented at ID editors.

There is a "using XML in Internet protocols", but that presumably is
not it (I can't tell, as I'm getting errors when I try to actually
download presentations).

Can someone point me to the most recent xml2rfc tutorial that EDU has done?

Thomas

---

From: Alice Hagens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:41:43 -0400

Thomas,

Elwyn's slides from IETF 65 are available here:
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06mar/slides/xml2rfc-0.pdf
(as linked to from http://www.rfc-editor.org/formatting.html)

I agree with you about the need for quick-start slides for a beginner  
-- and have spoken with several people (including Bill and Elwyn and  
Margaret) about the value of having "Getting Started" & "Advanced  
Topics" sets for xml2rfc. Maybe "Advanced Topics" is not presented,  
but is pointed to during the presentation for additonal reference.

Alice
for the RFC Editor