Subject: [edu-team] RFC Editor tutorial - IETF 74

From: Alice Hagens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:59:32 -0700

FYI, the slides from Sunday's RFC Editor tutorial are posted here:
   ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/tutorial.latest.pdf

A pointer to the slides and the Q&A summary (below) were sent to the  
35 people who signed in.

Alice
for the RFC Editor

-----------------------------------------------------
// Q&A at the RFC Editor Tutorial
// IETF 74  (22 March 2008)

Q1. How long does it take a document to get to AUTH48 once it's in the
RFC Editor queue?

A1. Typically 4-8 weeks, assuming the document does not have reference
holds or IANA holds.

 From the RFC Editor queue page
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue2.html), you can get to the summary
queue statistics
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/CurrQstats.txt). Currently, that page
indicates that the average time before AUTH48 (i.e., the time in EDIT
and RFC-EDITOR states combined) is 6.6 weeks, and the median time
is 3.2 weeks.

Q2. Regarding the RFC 2119 requirement keywords (MUST, SHOULD, etc.),
does the RFC Editor do any policing of their usage in the documents
being edited?

A2. The RFC Editor checks that the document includes a normative
reference to RFC 2119 if the keywords are used in the document.

Typically, the RFC Editor does not change the usage of RFC 2119
requirement keywords. We assume that the requirement levels have been
agreed upon during the development and approval of the
Internet-Draft.  We recommend using them sparingly and consistently
(see http://www.rfc-editor.org/policy.html#policy.2119ref).

Note that if the RFC Editor receives a request from an author to
update text of the document that affects the usage of requirement
keywords, we send it to the ADs for approval (as this is considered
a technical change).