Subject: [edu-team] IETF75 and Meeting Next Week?

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:06:38 -0400

Hi All,

Which tutorials are we planning to offer in Stockholm?

We will have two Newcomer's tutorials: English & Swedish.  I have  
recruited Patrik Faltstrom to do the Swedish tutorial.

Radia, you won't be in Stockholm, right?  But, I think you agreed to  
work with Ron Bonica on an update to his IDR tutorial?

What else should we consider presenting?

Would folks be available for a telephone call next week to discuss  
plans for IETF 75 and our efforts to get the Wiki up-to-date?  Please  
let me know if any of the following times would work for you:

Tuesday, April 7th -- 2:00pm ET/11:00am PT/10:00pm CET
Wednesday, April 8th -- 11:00am ET/8:00am PT/7:00pm CET
Wednesday, April 8th -- 2:00pm ET/11:00am PT/10:00pm CET

We should only need an hour.  If someone has an internationally- 
accessible conference bridge we can use, let me know.  Otherwise, I  
will provide a U.S. only number.

If you can't make any of these times, please suggest an alternative.   
Brian, I knew these are all in the middle of the night for you, so if  
there is a better time to try, please let me know.

Margaret

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
> Date: April 1, 2009 6:24:31 PM EDT
> To: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Beaulieu Marcia <[email-masked]>
> Subject: EDU Team Tutorials for IETF 75 Stockholm
>
> Margaret,
>
> I know we are still a ways off from IETF 75, but we are planning to  
> open up registration for the meeting on Monday, April 13th. Do you  
> know which tutorials you will be offering in Stockholm, so that we  
> can ask registrants to indicate whether or not they will attend? If  
> we don't have the tutorial information by the middle of next week  
> (8th) we will not be able to include that information in the meeting  
> registration.
>
> Thanks much,
> Alexa
>
> -----------
> Alexa Morris / Executive Director / IETF
> 48377 Fremont Blvd., Suite 117, Fremont, CA  94538
> Phone: +1.510.492.4089 / Fax: +1.510.492.4001
> Email: [email-masked]
>
> Managed by Association Management Solutions (AMS)
> Forum Management, Meeting and Event Planning
> www.amsl.com <http://www.amsl.com/>
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:10:50 +1300

> What else should we consider presenting?

Do we have a spreadsheet for the last few meetings? That always helps
to decide what's due.

> 
> Would folks be available for a telephone call next week to discuss plans
> for IETF 75 and our efforts to get the Wiki up-to-date?  Please let me
> know if any of the following times would work for you:
> 

The 11:00am ET is definitely out for me. 2pm is 6am the next
day for me; I'd do it for something vital, but I'm not sure
EDU makes the cut...

> 
> We should only need an hour.  If someone has an
> internationally-accessible conference bridge we can use, let me know. 
> Otherwise, I will provide a U.S. only number.

US 800 numbers can be called for free from Skype.

> there is a better time to try, please let me know.

There really isn't a time that's good for EU, US and NZ. Any 2 from 3
and there are good times.

   Brian
>> know which tutorials you will be offering in Stockholm, so that we can
>> ask registrants to indicate whether or not they will attend? If we
>> don't have the tutorial information by the middle of next week (8th)
>> we will not be able to include that information in the meeting
>> registration.
>>
>> Thanks much,
>> Alexa
>>
>> -----------
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:18:09 -0400

Is there anyone who can make any of these times?  Mirjam, Radia or  
Thomas -- you usually have ideas about what we should present...

We really do need to get a schedule to the secretariat by the end of  
next week, so that it can be included in the on-line registration form.

Thanks,
Margaret

On Apr 1, 2009, at 7:06 PM, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

> plans for IETF 75 and our efforts to get the Wiki up-to-date?   
> Please let me know if any of the following times would work for you:
>
> If you can't make any of these times, please suggest an  
> alternative.  Brian, I knew these are all in the middle of the night  
> for you, so if there is a better time to try, please let me know.
>
> Margaret
>
>
>
>
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> (8th) we will not be able to include that information in the  
>> meeting registration.
>>
>> Thanks much,
>> Alexa
>>
>> -----------

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:06:37 -0700

My preference is Wednesday at 11 PST.
I'm available Tuesday 11 am PST but only for 45 minutes.
I am not available Wednesday at 8 AM PST.

a) Yes, I'd like to help Ron Bonica improve on his IDR tutorial.
b) I will probably not go to Stockholm.
c) Other ideas for tutorials:

1)    How does email work? What are MTAs? What are MX records? What are 
"domain keys" and what is
    the purpose? How do spam filters work?

2)    What are MIBs? How does one write a MIB?

3) What is all this telephony stuff like SIP?

4) Overview of HTTP, including implications such as web bugs, cookies, 
"referred by", etc.

I'd be happy to help whoever might volunteer for any of those, to 
suggest content, ask questions, etc.

Radia

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 10:09:00 +1300

> 2)    What are MIBs? How does one write a MIB? 

I like this, in the spirit of helping IETF participants
to do their IETF work better. This cuts across all areas.
I'd add another theme:

 When is a MIB the right answer, and when is it inappropriate?

Try to get Dave Harrington to do this if possible. Or
Bert Wijnen.

    Brian

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 12:11:47 +0200

Hi,

My prefenrence is 

Wednesday, April 8th -- 11:00am ET/8:00am PT/7:00pm CET
(I think that is 6:00 pm CET).

but could also make
Wednesday, April 8th -- 2:00pm ET/11:00am PT/10:00pm CET
(I think/hope that is 9:00 pm CET).

The spreadsheet listing all past tutorials is attached below.

Mirjam

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 12:31:44 +0200

Here is the spreadsheet again with the potential tutorials 
for IETF 75. Please ignore the one I sent a few minutes ago.

Mirjam

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:21:37 -0400

Hi All,

Let's meet at the following time:

Wednesday, April 8th -- 2:00pm ET/11:00am PT/9:00pm CET

Is there anyone who can provide an (800) number conference bridge?  If  
not, we can use my free conference number:

Dial-in Number:  +1 (218) 486-1600
Access Code:  483775

Our agenda will be:

	IETF 75 Planning
		- Review spreadsheet (sent by Mirjam)
		- Determine tutorial schedule for IETF 75
	Web Site Updates
		- Assign individuals to collect/post missing tutorials
	Other Business?

Margaret

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 11:00:04 +1200

I'll probably not make the call. Looking at the spreadsheet,
the ones that catch my eye as candidates (in addition to MIBs)
are:

  Doc lifecycle
  WG leadership
  Intro to xml2rfc
  Tools training

Maybe we can rest IDR this time?

    Brian

---

From: Alice Hagens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 11:38:33 -0700

Greetings,

As mentioned on the call, I'm in favor of Intro to xml2rfc as we are  
seeing its increased use, and varying understanding of its  
functionality. The 23 opening slides are posted here:
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/intro_xml2rfc.pdf

The main part of the tutorial was demos by Bill Fenner:
1. Classic: editing in your favorite editor and formatting via the  
web page or locally
2. rfc2629.xslt and Firefox (HTML output only)
3. Editing with XMLmind and xml2rfc-xxe add-on

In addition to Bill, people might be good options: Marshall Rose,  
Julian Reschke, Elwyn Davies,  Pekka Savola, and Henrik Levkowetz.

Here is the description from last time:

Introduction to xml2rfc

xml2rfc is becoming increasingly popular as a way to produce Internet
Drafts (and RFCs).  This tutorial will introduce the markup language
used in xml2rfc and describe a selection of the tools (both free and
paid for) that can be used to create the marked up text and turn it
into the finished document in normative ASCII, HTML for more elegant
web usage or nroff as used for the RFC masters.  The tutorial will
start with a very brief introduction to XML markup for complete
novices and will cover the usage of the 'processing instructions'
that are available to control the appearance of the final document.
The set of elements used in xml2rfc has been deliberately kept very
small so that it is very easy to learn basic usage of the language.
As a result there isn't always an obvious way to achieve certain
effects so a number of useful 'tricks and tips' will be covered that
provide the 'cliche' needed as solutions to Frequently Asked
Questions and highlight some of the pitfalls so that editors can
avoid having to tear out their hair just before draft deadline time.
Using xml2rfc relieves draft editors of the need to think about the
overhead of getting the boilerplate and overall format right, and
provides automated bibliographies that reduce the pain of generating
references to existing drafts, RFCs and some other standard document
series. The RFC Editor is increasingly using xml2rfc as a way to
generate the source of the published RFC so that providing xml2rfc
source can help reduce the turnround time when a draft is being
converted into an RFC.

Thanks,
Alice

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 20:41:26 +0200

Hi all,

Please find some short notes of our call today.

Mirjam
-----

Edu Team Call 8 April 2009
Radia, Alice, Thomas, Mirjam

Four Tutorials:

1. 13:00 - Newcomers (Bradner/Faltstrom)

2. 15:00 MIB (Harrington/Wijnen)
   - Alice will send contact details of David Harringtoan to Mirjam
   - Mirjam will contact David and Bert to see if they are avilable
     (not sure Margaret already did that)

3. 13:00 Intro to xml2rfc (Hagens/Fenner?)
   - Alice (not sure she will be in Stockholm, but if not will find another speaker) 
   - Alice will send list of possible names who could 'replace'
     Bill if he is not available. 
   - Alice will send description to list/Mirjam

4. 15:00 IDR (Bonico) 
   - Radia will contact Ron to confirm he is available
   - Radia will not be in Stockholm, but has offered to help
     with preparations

We did not really discuss which tutorial goes in what time slot. I
hope the above works out. I will inform Marcia by the end of the week.

Mirjam

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 16:09:22 -0400

s/Bonico/Bonica/

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:26:17 -0400

Thanks to everyone who attended.  I was sick on Wednesday (just  
getting back to things now), and I forgot about the call.  I'm glad  
you guys were able to make it, though.  It looks like you are making  
great progress towards a good set of tutorials for Stockholm.

Margaret