Subject: [edu-team] IETF 79th Chinese

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:37:59 +0800

Dear Education team

I am just wondering whether you would plan to host a chinese training in
IETF 79th,
I could volunteer to do something if you are lacking of candidates.

I am currently organizing chinese ietf participants meeting during each IETF
week.
and maintaining the chinese participants group mailing list.

By the way, I have been to IETF more than 20 times since ietf 59th.

Thanks for your consideration

-Hui Deng (MIF Co-chair WG)

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 20:15:55 -0400

Hi Hui,

I think that you would be an excellent choice to conduct the  
Newcomer's Training at IETF 79 in Beijing.  It will happen on Sunday  
afternoon, probably at 2:00pm (although we do not yet have a final  
schedule).  Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the best local  
language to use for an introductory session in Beijing?  Mandarin?

Thank you for volunteering!

Margaret

On Jul 5, 2010, at 3:37 AM, Hui Deng wrote:

> Dear Education team
>
> I am just wondering whether you would plan to host a chinese  
> training in IETF 79th,
> I am currently organizing chinese ietf participants meeting during  
> each IETF week.
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 20:18:17 -0400

Hi Hui,

I am sorry, I responded to your e-mail too quickly...  It seems that  
there are also other volunteers to teach an introductory session in  
Chinese, and we will need to figure out what to do in this situation.

I apologize for my too-quick response.

Margaret

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:18:47 +1200

Margaret,

I think you moved a bit fast since we have two volunteers and we
should really check with the senior Chinese about the best approach.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 2010-07-10 12:15, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> 
> Hi Hui,
> 
> I think that you would be an excellent choice to conduct the Newcomer's
> Training at IETF 79 in Beijing.  It will happen on Sunday afternoon,
> probably at 2:00pm (although we do not yet have a final schedule). 
> Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the best local language to use
> for an introductory session in Beijing?  Mandarin?
> 
>> I am just wondering whether you would plan to host a chinese training
>> in IETF 79th,

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 20:35:14 -0400

Hi Brian,

Yes, I realized that before I received this note.

Who are the "senior Chinese" we should check with, in your opinion?   
Typically, when I need a trustworthy answer about something that is  
happening in China, I ask Hui Deng (one of the volunteers)...  I think  
Hui may also be the only Chinese IETF WG Chair (he is my co-chair in  
MIF).  So, from an IETF perspective, he may be one of the most senior  
Chinese IETF participants that we have.  Perhaps you are thinking of  
someone who isn't an IETF participant, though?

I am certainly open to whatever trustworthy information we can get.

Barring any really clear information to the contrary, though, I think  
we should err on the side of doing what we have done in other  
countries.  Hold local language training and choose the most senior  
IETF person from that country that we can find who is willing to do it.

Margaret

On Jul 9, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>> Newcomer's
>>> training

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 17:06:52 +1200

Well, Ray Pelletier could tell you who is the virtual leader but
it will be someone in the area of the CERNET guys, Tsinghua University,
and the research arm of the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications.
I personally would start with Prof. Jun Bi <[email-masked]>

I have no problem at all with Deng Hui doing it (I don't know anything about
the other volunteer). I just have the feeling that the Chinese will
notice if there's no consultation.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 2010-07-10 12:35, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> Barring any really clear information to the contrary, though, I think we
> should err on the side of doing what we have done in other countries. 
> Hold local language training and choose the most senior IETF person from
> that country that we can find who is willing to do it.
> 
> Margaret
> 
>

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:34:52 -0400

> I personally would start with Prof. Jun Bi <[email-masked]>

The prime mover for hosting the IETF in China over 3 years has been Professor Jianping Wu,  <[email-masked]>, however he is difficult to reach.  Typical correspondence to him goes through Jennifer An,  <[email-masked]>.

Others for insight include, Yi Zhaous, <[email-masked]>, Spencer Dawkins and Scot Brim.

Ray

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 21:21:27 +0800

Hi Margaret,

Many thanks, please feel free to consider it fairly,

Best regards,

-Hui

2010/7/10 Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

>
> Hi Hui,
>
> I am sorry, I responded to your e-mail too quickly...  It seems that there
> are also other volunteers to teach an introductory session in Chinese, and
> we will need to figure out what to do in this situation.
>
>> probably at 2:00pm (although we do not yet have a final schedule).  Please
>> forgive my ignorance, but what is the best local language to use for an
>> introductory session in Beijing?  Mandarin?
>>
>>> I am currently organizing chinese ietf participants meeting during each
>>> IETF week.

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 22:22:38 +0800

Hi Margaret,

Mandarin would be the best.
This is the language which the largest population could understand it.

Best regards,

-Hui

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:35:55 +1200

Margaret,

Certainly Jianping Wu is another big cheese along with Jun Bi. I would consult with them
rather than with industrial folk.

Maybe a diplomatic solution is to ask Jiankang Yao and Deng Hui to do half each.
They both seem to have good IETF experience.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter