Subject: [edu-team] [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: 79th IETF - WG chairs lunch]]

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:34:19 +0200

See below Spencer's suggestions.

Mirjam

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Fwd: 79th IETF - WG chairs lunch]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 08:12:57 -0500
From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
To: David Harrington <[email-masked]>,	'Mirjam Kuehne' <[email-masked]>
CC: 'Margaret Wasserman' <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> 
<70F5C0ADCF20441B95C5E53191E749A1@23FX1C1> <[email-masked]> 
<311BAD14890846C29BBCF2DA2A669793@23FX1C1>

> Without some concrete common situations, it is just an open-ended
> conversation with no answers.
> So I think it is not a very good topic without somebody developing
> some guidelines to talk about.
> It would be a good topic **IF** it summarized WG chair Mailing list
> discussions to see if any guidelines could be developed.
> Maybe a panel discussion could be done, but I could also see this
> simply being a rathole discussion.
>
> I think the preso work actually has more potential guidelines because
> we have plenty of examples of bad handling of presos. New chairs could
> benefit from best current practices including 1) get the slides in
> advance, 2) review the slides in advance, 3) verify the nuimber of
> slides makes sense for the available time slot, 4) don't allocate such
> a short time slot the presentation couldn't possibly be done in that
> time slot, 5) post the slides in advance so readers can go prepared
> with questions and non-native speakers can translate the slides in
> non-real-time, 6) present the slides from a chair-controlled laptop,
> 7) the chairs could have some questions prepared to motivate
> discussion, 8) techniques to shut down long-winded speakers, etc.

My impression (and I really need to focus on stuff for a telechat at 10:30
my time, so this will have to be quick) is that the guidelines (choosing
that word carefully) that Dave listed have been well-accepted (even if not
well-used), and my impression is that we've had good chair lunch sessions
when we presented material and then asked for comments from a panel, and
then even from the group as a whole.

So perhaps it would be helpful if someone could present the guidelines, and
then ask a panel to comment on what ELSE chairs have encountered, when
trying to handle presentations in the working groups. One question I've
gotten in previous discussions is "what do I do with the document editor 
who
is working on his slides sitting in the meeting room, for a presentation
slot two speakers down?", for instance. The panelists might be able to
provide some bait for discussion like this.

("what do I do if people in the working group have been having hallway
discussions, which we encourage, and I want them to report what they're
thinking now, which is different from what their drafts say?", or "what 
do I
do if the guy who can't seem to provide slides in a timely fashion is an AD
or IAB member?" :-)

You might get chairs saying "this is what's happened in my working group
when we didn't do what the guidelines suggest", and that could be a good
thing as well. We have a lot of experience in the room, and chairs seem to
be willing to listen when other chairs are talking about their experience.

Dave, does this seem at all responsive to what you're thinking of?

Spencer