Subject: [edu-team] [Fwd: RE: [Fwd: 79th IETF - WG chairs lunch]]

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:33:33 +0200

Hi all,

Please see below some suggestions made by David Harrington.
I am also passing on a follow-up mail sent by Spencer.

Mirjam

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [Fwd: 79th IETF - WG chairs lunch]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 08:53:48 -0400
From: David Harrington <[email-masked]>
To: 'Mirjam Kuehne' <[email-masked]>
CC: 'Margaret Wasserman' <[email-masked]>,	'Spencer Dawkins' 
<[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> 
<70F5C0ADCF20441B95C5E53191E749A1@23FX1C1> <[email-masked]>

Hi Mirjam,

A major reason I declined to do this is that I think it would be
difficult to put together a reasonable discussion of time management
in the time between now and ietf79. (ironic, huh?)

I think time management is an interesting topic, but it is a topic
that has no clear answer.
Each WG session is different, and how to manage the time and/or
presentation times will vary.
I think a discussion could be useful, but you would likely need some
concrete cases to compare how different chairs would handle them.
Assuming a 2.5 hour meeting slot, how one would handle the time would
depend on issues like "are there many open issues to be discussed?",
"are the milestones almost done, and you're looking for recharter
proposals?", "the milestones are NOT close to done yet the WG has many
individual proposals", and so on.
Without some concrete common situations, it is just an open-ended
conversation with no answers.
So I think it is not a very good topic without somebody developing
some guidelines to talk about.
It would be a good topic **IF** it summarized WG chair Mailing list
discussions to see if any guidelines could be developed.
Maybe a panel discussion could be done, but I could also see this
simply being a rathole discussion.

I think the preso work actually has more potential guidelines because
we have plenty of examples of bad handling of presos. New chairs could
benefit from best current practices including 1) get the slides in
advance, 2) review the slides in advance, 3) verify the nuimber of
slides makes sense for the available time slot, 4) don't allocate such
a short time slot the presentation couldn't possibly be done in that
time slot, 5) post the slides in advance so readers can go prepared
with questions and non-native speakers can translate the slides in
non-real-time, 6) present the slides from a chair-controlled laptop,
7) the chairs could have some questions prepared to motivate
discussion, 8) techniques to shut down long-winded speakers, etc.

dbh