Subject: [edu-team] [Fwd: [Fwd: 79th IETF - WG chairs lunch]]

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 17:08:28 +0200

Hi all,

I sent mail to David Harrington, but have not heard from him yet. Maybe 
one of you is more successful?

Mirjam

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Fwd: 79th IETF - WG chairs lunch]
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:36:48 +0200
From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
To: David Harrington <[email-masked]>
CC: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

Hello David,

A while ago Ray Pelletier mentioned that you suggested to organise a
tutorial for WG chairs about "how to effectively use meeting time and
effectively use presentations in those meetings".

We thought this would be an excellent topic for the WG chairs lunch at
IETF 79.

Would you be willing to run this? Maybe you could give an introduction
and some guidelines and then we could get a discussion going and hear
what other WG chairs have done to best manage their WG time?

What do you think?

Kind Regards,
Mirjam Kuehne (for the IETF Edu-Team)

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:48:49 +0200

Hi all,

In the meantime David Harrington got back to me and said he won't have 
time to prepare for a WG chairs lunch tutorial. He suggested Spencer, 
but Spencer won't have time either.

They suggested to do a full leadership tutorial at IETF 80, but they 
aren't available this time.

I need your help with this: Do you have another suggestion for a speaker 
for this topic or for another topic (and speaker) for the WG chairs 
lunch for IETF 79?

An what do you think about scheduling a WG leadership tutorial at IETF 80?

Regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:01:31 -0400

I used to do WG leadership tutorials with Spencer, and I could  
probably help with that if we want to bring it back.  In it's most  
recent form, though, it didn't really cover what Dave Harrington  
suggested.  It might not be bad to add that, though.

For this IETF, I could do something on "Making Effective Use of  
Meeting Time" for the WG Chairs lunch.  I think that would be a really  
good topic for a short presentation and round table discussion.  Maybe  
something like:

Making Effective Use of Meeting Time (Margaret Wasserman, 30 minutes)
	- Agenda planning and timing
	- Structured discussion of open issues
	- How to handle agenda requests
	- Q&A
Round Table Discussion (Everyone, 30 minutes)

What do you think?

Margaret

On Oct 15, 2010, at 7:48 AM, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In the meantime David Harrington got back to me and said he won't  
> have time to prepare for a WG chairs lunch tutorial. He suggested  
> Spencer, but Spencer won't have time either.
>
> I need your help with this: Do you have another suggestion for a  
> speaker for this topic or for another topic (and speaker) for the WG  
> chairs lunch for IETF 79?
>
>> I sent mail to David Harrington, but have not heard from him yet.  
>> Maybe one of you is more successful?
>> Mirjam
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 08:14:17 +1300

Go for it, Margaret!

Another idea that came to me if we are desparate is the "Lightning Talks"
model used at some of the *NOG meetings -- invite any and all WG Chairs
to take a 5 minute slot with one or two slides, to raise an issue for
discussion. You only need four or five people volunteering, to fill
the time. But I prefer Margaret's offer.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 2010-10-16 04:01, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> 
> I used to do WG leadership tutorials with Spencer, and I could probably
> help with that if we want to bring it back.  In it's most recent form,
> though, it didn't really cover what Dave Harrington suggested.  It might
> not be bad to add that, though.
> 
> For this IETF, I could do something on "Making Effective Use of Meeting
> Time" for the WG Chairs lunch.  I think that would be a really good
> topic for a short presentation and round table discussion.  Maybe
> something like:
>

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 12:14:28 +0200

Thanks Margaret!

I think this will be useful. Maybe that topic and your slides can then 
be included in the leadership tutorial and we can schedule that for the 
next IETF?

Will you inform the secretariat so they can send out an invitation to 
the EG chairs?

Mirjam

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 06:46:33 -0400

Hi Agenda Folks,

We are going to have the below topic for WG Chairs Lunch.  Could you  
insert the RSVP date, and send this out to wgchairs, bofchairs, iesg,  
iab and edu-team?  Also feel free to change the wording, or add to it,  
as you feel is appropriate.

Thanks!
Margaret

During the Wednesday lunch slot at IETF 70 in Beijing, we will be  
holding a WG chairs training session on how to make more effective use  
of meeting time (see details below).  Please come to share your ideas  
on this important topic and to learn from others.  This session is  
open to all current WG chairs, BOF chairs, IESG members and IAB  
members, and will include a complementary lunch.

Please RSVP to [email-masked] by *Date TBD*.