Subject: [edu-team] A/V Training for Chairs

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:08:45 +0800

Sitting in another meeting where the speaker is barely understandable because of his choice of microphone posture, I repeat my proposal to provide some A/V training for chairs.

Things like:

-- how to use a lavalier microphone (hint: don't hold it in front of your mouth)
-- detecting and working around in-room audio problems
-- why we pay for the whole screen (and not just the 45 % some chairs use for presenting the slides)
-- criteria for rejecting slides submitted because they are unreadable
-- how to control a galopping Apple Preview slideshow (press space)
-- polite ways to make this knowledge available to a struggling speaker

Of course, in reality, we should give this training to every person before we allow them into the vicinity of our mikes and projectors, but it would be helpful if at least the chairs knew how to handle room audio/video.

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott O. Bradner)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:16:31 -0500 (EST)

also put the mic on the side of the presenter that he or she turns to
look at the screen

Scott

---
>From [email-masked]  Thu Nov 11 21:09:02 2010
From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:08:45 +0800
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [edu-team] A/V Training for Chairs
Sender: [email-masked]

Things like:

Gruesse, Carsten

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:45:44 +0800

> also put the mic on the side of the presenter that he or she turns to

I started a Wiki page.

http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/wgchairs/wiki/MeetingAV

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:22:04 +0100

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for the suggestion and for the wiki.

Maybe we can include this in the WG Leadership training that is 
scheduled for IETF 80?

Or is this something for a WG chairs lunch?

What do others think?

Mirjam

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:09:04 +0800

On Nov 12, 2010, at 16:22, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:

> Maybe we can include this in the WG Leadership training that is scheduled for IETF 80?
> 

I would do this as a 5-minute demonstration how not to do things (just start a normal training/lunch, but do everything wrong) + a pointer to the Wiki.

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:30:25 -0500

> I would do this as a 5-minute demonstration how not to do things
> (just start a normal training/lunch, but do everything wrong) + a
> pointer to the Wiki.

Not sure what the best way to do this is. But I think this is a very
real issue, as anyone who has tried listened to the live stream or
recordings can attest.

A little bit educating the chairs would go a long way... Most folk do
not know anything about how the AV is supposed to work, what is right
way to position microphones, etc.

One thing that might also help is if there was an easy way for someone
in the room itself to monitor (under headphones) what the actual audio
stream sounded like, so they could adjust in real time. What you hear
in the room itself and what is being captured by recording/stream can
be very different things.

Thomas