Subject: [edu-team] Tutorials for next IETF in Prague?

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:24:45 -0800

Should we be planning the next IETF?  I suspect we want to give the
security one a rest.  I'd like to do the layer 2/3 one again, but
would prefer the 3 PM slot.

As an idea for another semi-technical one...how about one for "tools
for preparing internet drafts", talking about the various ways people
do it, either nroff or xml2rfc?

Another possiblity is MPLS....not sure why it's so complicated or
controversial, but it seems to be.

Or DNSsec?  Conceptually simple, but with interesting stuff around
proving something does not exist, or a mixture of signed and unsigned
objects.

Radia

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 08:10:22 +1300

Yes, good idea to think early and have a strategy of sorts.

I believe that our underlying principle is to pick topics
that have a general cross-area benefit. In a sense that means
that all topics should be titled "What people working
on X or Y need to know about Z". I think that's why security
and document lifecycle have become perennial. It also suggests
some possible topics: privacy, internationalisation, IANA
Considerations, protocol extensibility. Others?

Regards
   Brian

On 2010-11-20 07:24, Radia Perlman wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Alice Hagens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:15:54 -0500

in-line

> do it, either nroff or xml2rfc?

I agree that this would be helpful. For IETF 80, I'm able to co-present a tutorial that explains/demos NroffEdit and xml2rfc.

Fyi, the existing slides for "Intro to xml2rfc" are here:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-editor/intro_xml2rfc.pdf
In the past, Bill Fenner and Julian Reschke have demo'd "fancy" ways to use xml2rfc as part of that tutorial.

Perhaps such a tutorial could also demo other essential tools such as:
- I-D nits
- I-D submission tool

Thanks,
Alice

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 08:23:28 -0800

> Perhaps such a tutorial could also demo other essential tools such as:

Yes! It would be great to include those as well, and there ought to be time.

Radia

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:10:56 +0100

Hi all,

I hope all went well in Beijing. And thanks for starting to think about 
IETF 80 already.

So far we have the following suggestions:

Newcomers (Scott) - Scott, will you be in Prague?

NroffEdit and xml2rfc (Alice) - Alice, do you wan to ask Bill Fenner or 
Julian Reschke if they can help?

Routing, Bridging, Switching (Radia at 3 pm)

WG Leadership (Spencer Dawkins, David Harrington) - This was an idea 
that came up a few weeks ago.

DNS for Programmers (Peter, Olafur) - they said they might consider 
doing this in Prague, needs to be confirmed.

This is one too many. Which one do you think we should postpone?
Maybe we should first confirm with Peter/Olafur and Spencer/David?

For the WG chairs lunch it was suggested to ask Carsten Borman talk 
about the use of A/V equipment:
http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/wgchairs/wiki/MeetingAV

Mirjam