Subject: [edu-team] Proposed table of contents for an OAM tutorial

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:49:36 -0800

I asked around for suggestions of someone who could do an OAM
tutorial, and was pointed at a Cisco person named Tissa Senevirathne.
I've never met him before, but have arranged to meet him at IETF and
help him prepare the tutorial.  He seems very enthusiastic, and
immediately sent me the attached proposed table of comments.

I think an OAM tutorial that doesn't just talk about the bits and
bytes of various protocols (like traceroute, BFD, ping, MPLS-TP), but
compares them, explains the kinds of problems networks have, how all
the various tools are used to diagnose and fix these problems, would
be very interesting.

Does anyone have any comments on the TOC (as in, things that seem to
be left out of an OAM tutorial)?  Would anyone else like to meet with
him at IETF in Taiwan?

Radia

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:44:14 +1300

Hi Radia,

The topic is relevant, but shouldn't it be angled towards
"How to handle OAM in an IETF protocol design"?

For example, the section on "How to Evaluate an OAM solution"
seems to be aimed at operators, not protocol designers.

Some pruning is needed.  For example, it's hard to get excited
about things like the history of OAM for X.25 and DECNET.

I'd want it to be carefully reviewed by an expert who doesn't
work for the same company (Dave Harrington comes to mind).

Also - items 6 and 7 (OAM for MPLS and Ethernet, to be precise)
are highly controversial - see the massive fuss about
draft-sprecher-mpls-tp-oam-considerations. It's fine if the
presentation is strictly neutral, of course.

Regards
   Brian

On 2011-11-11 06:49, Radia Perlman wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team